The Student Room Group

Why am I struggling so much in my a levels?

I study law, sociology and psychology at a sixth form. I’m in my first year and I struggle so much despite the effort I put in and my decent gcse grades. I don’t understand how I’m going to pass with above a C.
Original post by JadeMayMarsh
I study law, sociology and psychology at a sixth form. I’m in my first year and I struggle so much despite the effort I put in and my decent gcse grades. I don’t understand how I’m going to pass with above a C.

You need to look into this. Fortunately 100% of the marks are at end of year 13 if you are doing linear exams.

Write down and analyse possible causes plus talk to your teachers.

Get some revision books and understand the mark schemes, specification and what they look for.

Carry on making a decent set of notes so you improve your understanding of core material and the practice exams. A levels require more selectivity, analysis and independent thinking/ opinions. If you practice enough and work hard then you can improve and get the hang of it. You may need to work over the summer.

You can 100% fix it at this early stage though.
Original post by 999tigger
You need to look into this. Fortunately 100% of the marks are at end of year 13 if you are doing linear exams.

Get some revision books and understand the mark schemes, specification and what they look for.

Carry on making a decent set of notes so you improve your understanding of core material and the practice exams. A levels require more selectivity, analysis and independent thinking/ opinions. If you practice enough and work hard then you can improve and get the hang of it. You may need to work over the summer.

what if i have external exams at the end of year 12 as AS

I'm currently working at ABBC and I wanna get AAAA (predicted AABB)
Original post by RickHendricks
what if i have external exams at the end of year 12 as AS

I'm currently working at ABBC and I wanna get AAAA (predicted AABB)

If you are ABBC, hen you can catch up over the summer tbh you seem to be doing fine and I wouldnt call that struggling at all. As you get more practice and familiarity then ofc you will improve. Oh I see you hijacked....
(edited 6 years ago)
If you are ABBC, hen you can catch up over the summer tbh you seem to be doing fine and I wouldnt call that struggling at all. As you get more practice and familiarity then ofc you will improve. Oh I see you hijacked....

wdym by hijacked?

and i've got exams of AS this year. I'm in year 12.

I do hope you’re right, thankyou for the advice
Original post by RickHendricks
wdym by hijacked?

and i've got exams of AS this year. I'm in year 12.

I thought you were the OP and I had the OPs situation in mind. I only realised that after typing the answer.

I'm not sue what the relevance or concern you have with AS levels are? Are you an international student? Most people have stopped taking AS as they moved to linear.
I thought you were the OP and I had the OPs situation in mind. I only realised that after typing the answer.

I'm not sue what the relevance or concern you have with AS levels are? Are you an international student? Most people have stopped taking AS as they moved to linear.

my school still expects AS exams to be done by students. They make predicted grades off that.
I do hope you’re right, thankyou for the advice

Yes. If you commit and get to the root of the problem, then you can reapply yourself and get an understanding of where you are losing marks and where you understanding or exam technique can be improved.

Save your money for revision books etc and work hard at good note making this year. If you can hit year 13 with an understanding via a good set of notes, then t makes everything easier.
Yes. If you commit and get to the root of the problem, then you can reapply yourself and get an understanding of where you are losing marks and where you understanding or exam technique can be improved.

Save your money for revision books etc and work hard at good note making this year. If you can hit year 13 with an understanding via a good set of notes, then t makes everything easier.

That makes me a little more confident, I’m the worst for worrying about things like this.
That makes me a little more confident, I’m the worst for worrying about things like this.

Get the most out f this year and the summer. If you need fear then look at TSR and all the people in year 13 right now preparing for the exams.

You have t be more or less sorted imo by the end of the year. If you really use summer, then you can repair a lot of damage and improve.
Best thing is to read through the specification and see what it is you need to revise from there. Saves you a bit of time.

Organise what it is exactly you need to revise into sections and just work through each one, going back on what you’ve learnt is important, so that you solidify what you are learning.

Other avenues of learning is also important, try watching videos on YouTube. Try writing out spider diagrams on topics, that is a good method.

Quick Reply

Latest