The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

The towers at Essex university

I'm trying to decide wich accommodation to apply for at Essex uni, the towers look like a good option due to price and social life but Iv heard a lot of complaints about the noise. Could anyone tell me how bad the noise is? Do many students there struggle with sleep/studying?
Original post by Charlie150
I'm trying to decide wich accommodation to apply for at Essex uni, the towers look like a good option due to price and social life but Iv heard a lot of complaints about the noise. Could anyone tell me how bad the noise is? Do many students there struggle with sleep/studying?

I'll move this to the Essex subforum for you :borat:
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
You will likely have a good social life wherever you choose to live, it's a very closeknit community.
I never lived in towers, so can't say how it truly is, but for me, the mess would be a difficult thing for me to handle, so bear that in mind.

The towers are noisy but you'll only hear it mostly in your own flat. You shouldn't really hear the flats above or below you unless they're blasting music and stomping on the ground.

The biggest downside to living in the towers is having the fire alarm go off about 3 times a week at 2am because some drunk person burned their toast.
Reply 4
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
The towers are noisy but you'll only hear it mostly in your own flat. You shouldn't really hear the flats above or below you unless they're blasting music and stomping on the ground.

The biggest downside to living in the towers is having the fire alarm go off about 3 times a week at 2am because some drunk person burned their toast.

Would you be able to hear a lot of this noise when you're in your own room? I'm just wondering if getting to sleep would ever be an issue
Hi,

I lived in Towers in my first year, and I never had any major issues with noise. Towers is considered the more social of the accommodations, but this isn't really the case, other accommodations are also very social as well. There may be more noise in comparison to say, Quays for example because there's less people in Quays, but generally, there shouldn't be any issues with noise. Some people are noisier than others though, and you should take that into consideration. However, if you do have any issues with noise, you can always call your RA (Resident Assistant) who can help you with any noise complaints, or any other issues that you have!

Hope that helps!
Would you be able to hear a lot of this noise when you're in your own room? I'm just wondering if getting to sleep would ever be an issue

Yes but it depends on which towers you're in, if you're in the south towers I believe, they are closer to the squares so you might hear the music from the clubs faintly. If you are in the North towers you won't hear anything from the clubs as they are further away.

When you're in the room for the most part everything is quiet, the floors are thick concrete and you're not going to hear the flat below you unless as I said they are jumping up and down the floor or blasting music.

Sleeping was never an issue for me. Hope that helps.
Reply 7
Original post by elliejmatthews
Hi,

I lived in Towers in my first year, and I never had any major issues with noise. Towers is considered the more social of the accommodations, but this isn't really the case, other accommodations are also very social as well. There may be more noise in comparison to say, Quays for example because there's less people in Quays, but generally, there shouldn't be any issues with noise. Some people are noisier than others though, and you should take that into consideration. However, if you do have any issues with noise, you can always call your RA (Resident Assistant) who can help you with any noise complaints, or any other issues that you have!

Hope that helps!

That's good to know, It sounds like it should be ok then. Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Yes but it depends on which towers you're in, if you're in the south towers I believe, they are closer to the squares so you might hear the music from the clubs faintly. If you are in the North towers you won't hear anything from the clubs as they are further away.

When you're in the room for the most part everything is quiet, the floors are thick concrete and you're not going to hear the flat below you unless as I said they are jumping up and down the floor or blasting music.

Sleeping was never an issue for me. Hope that helps.

That does help, thank you!

Hey,
I'm currently in South Towers for my first year. It is probably the loudest out of the two sets of towers (south and north), as you can hear most of the things going on in the Squares (square 3). Depending on what south tower you live in (Bertrand Russell or Eddington) and what side of the tower, you'll hear more, especially when there is music playing in Sub Zero, Base or the SU Bar.

The floors may be "thick" but you can still hear upstairs and downstairs residents if they are being loud. The walls between rooms seem thick too but you can, surprisingly, hear quite a bit... especially if they are loud of course. But saying all this, I haven't had any trouble going to sleep or staying asleep, it usually quietens down around 3am if there are events in the club, etc.

Also, sometimes south towers hold pre-drinks for societies like FED, which is usually on wednesdays. Even though they could be pre-drinking like 5 or 10 floors below you, you WILL hear it, lmao.

I think it's great though!
Reply 10
I live in the south tower closest to square 3 with a window facing it as well, and it's probably one of the worst places to live. It's usually fine during the day unless they have something on in the square which I can hear even with the window closed, of which the window is just a thin pane of glass. The biggest problem is people playing music since some people don't understand what a reasonable level of volume is. Even after telling numerous people, of various floors to keep it down, they never seem to remember which becomes frustrating. Sometimes I can feel vibrations at night from the club which makes it difficult to sleep although I think it depends on whether they are playing bass heavy music. It's usually worse when they play music at the bar since there isn't sufficient sound proofing, which means I'll be kept awake by the music until late into the night. Another fun thing is hearing people shouting/talking loudly when they are walking back from the bar or club, which can go on until after the club closes (I should point out that I'm not near ground floor, I'm more than halfway up).
I'd say your mileage may vary depending on where you get put. I guess it is the cheapest and it is very close to the lecture buildings, although if I had known it would have been this bad I would have stayed at home (couldn't afford anywhere else).
Original post by WW2
I live in the south tower closest to square 3 with a window facing it as well, and it's probably one of the worst places to live. It's usually fine during the day unless they have something on in the square which I can hear even with the window closed, of which the window is just a thin pane of glass. The biggest problem is people playing music since some people don't understand what a reasonable level of volume is. Even after telling numerous people, of various floors to keep it down, they never seem to remember which becomes frustrating. Sometimes I can feel vibrations at night from the club which makes it difficult to sleep although I think it depends on whether they are playing bass heavy music. It's usually worse when they play music at the bar since there isn't sufficient sound proofing, which means I'll be kept awake by the music until late into the night. Another fun thing is hearing people shouting/talking loudly when they are walking back from the bar or club, which can go on until after the club closes (I should point out that I'm not near ground floor, I'm more than halfway up).
I'd say your mileage may vary depending on where you get put. I guess it is the cheapest and it is very close to the lecture buildings, although if I had known it would have been this bad I would have stayed at home (couldn't afford anywhere else).

Hey,

Is it possible to pay for accommodation for the first installment (like for 3-4months) and then vacate if it isn't convenient and search for an off-campus rented shared room for the rest of the year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending