The Student Room Group

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JDieMstr
Lol just yesterday I firmed a top 60s Uni and made a top 15 Uni (RG) my insurance. (My highest ranking Uni offer was top 10). I picked convenience and ease of available resources over something intangible as "prestige".

This is an interesting post.

If you don't mind my asking, would you tell us what unis you firmed and insured, the offers, and the courses? And what made one more convenient than the other and what available resources you're talking about? Thanks.
Original post by jestersnow
So you made a point poorly, with a sweeping generalising statement with no objective evidence to support it. The logical incoherency was pointed out to you, but it's the listener's fault you can't be bothered to articulate the (poorly made) argument you were trying to make. I'm starting to think you haven't been to university.

BTW slick, I'm not stupid. I have a Masters degree in a STEM subject from a RG university, so of course I must be the "best and brightest", based on your world view :wink: I also don't take advice on intelligence levels from someone who employs pointless, suboptimal grammatical practices (e.g. starting a sentence with a redundant co-ordinanting conjunction).

Lol you're taking the p*ss out of my grammar on a f*cking forum. Now I know you're just a troll. If you're too thick tounderstand my arguments then that's not my problem, a STEM degree doesn't mean you have the intelligence to understand someone's arguments.

And pot calling the kettle black, I may start a sentence with a conjunction but at least I know "has went" makes no sense whatsoever. Oops!
Original post by Notoriety
This is an interesting post.

If you don't mind my asking, would you tell us what unis you firmed and insured, the offers, and the courses? And what made one more convenient than the other and what available resources you're talking about? Thanks.

Ah, I thank thee for taking interest.

As for your Q, I firmed Manchester Metropolitan University and Insured University of Birmingham. The courses for all my Unis were Accounting and Finance with placement year (if offered by the Uni). In regards to convenience, MMU is 10 min drive away/ 15 min bus journey away from a bus stop 2 min walk away from my house (big factor) and all the other benefits that comes with staying local e.g. existing friends, knowing my way around, visited the Uni multiple times, have done a scheme with them etc. Available resources translates to M-O-N-I-E-S! (big factor) that I save from commuting instead of living in accomodation (and all the other expenses that come with it).

Did that satisfy your query, my good sir?
Meh, got a placement year with it. I think I'm sorted as long as I manage to become a Chartered Accountant within 3 years after graduation. Don't think you need to attend some top notch Uni to do decently in this field, eh?

Fair enough.

Accounting is slightly easier to break into but top accounting firms are still overwhelmingly made up of good uni grads - though that's more self selection than anything as all sorts of uni grads are bound to be found in the large class sizes of the big firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Fair enough.

Accounting is slightly easier to break into but top accounting firms are still overwhelmingly made up of good uni grads - though that's more self selection than anything as all sorts of uni grads are bound to be found in the large class sizes of the big firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is something I am painfully aware of. Good thing I am not too ambitious like most TSR users here. If I can earn a humble salary around £40k by the time I am in my 30s, I'd be happy.
Original post by howitoughttobe
Lol you're taking the p*ss out of my grammar on a f*cking forum. Now I know you're just a troll. If you're too thick tounderstand my arguments then that's not my problem, a STEM degree doesn't mean you have the intelligence to understand someone's arguments.

And pot calling the kettle black, I may start a sentence with a conjunction but at least I know "has went" makes no sense whatsoever. Oops!

Fair point on has went. Regarding your arguments, I feel you've made some really poor points that haven't supported you arguments. I know it might be frustrating as you're trying to articulate something and it hasn't been convincing. Rather than offering objective evidence like peer reviewed literature, you've simply offered your opinion. If you have objective, academic evidence that supports the arguments you are trying to make I'm open to being convinced.

If you are going to go down the road of simply slinging mud, there's no point in carrying on the conversation.
Ah, I thank thee for taking interest.

As for your Q, I firmed Manchester Metropolitan University and Insured University of Birmingham. The courses for all my Unis were Accounting and Finance with placement year (if offered by the Uni). In regards to convenience, MMU is 10 min drive away/ 15 min bus journey away from a bus stop 2 min walk away from my house (big factor) and all the other benefits that comes with staying local e.g. existing friends, knowing my way around, visited the Uni multiple times, have done a scheme with them etc. Available resources translates to M-O-N-I-E-S! (big factor) that I save from commuting instead of living in accomodation (and all the other expenses that come with it).

Did that satisfy your query, my good sir?

Yes, if I die in my sleep tonight, I shall die a happy man. Thanks for your comprehensive response. Seems you've given it some thought, which is very good.
Fair point on has went. Regarding your arguments, I feel you've made some really poor points that haven't supported you arguments. I know it might be frustrating as you're trying to articulate something and it hasn't been convincing. Rather than offering objective evidence like peer reviewed literature, you've simply offered your opinion. If you have objective, academic evidence that supports the arguments you are trying to make I'm open to being convinced.

If you are going to go down the road of simply slinging mud, there's no point in carrying on the conversation.

*sigh* You literally referenced one paper that wasn't even relevant. Other than that you've only given opinion yourself. Don't suddenly act like some professional debater to try and undermine me now you've run out of arguments.
*sigh* You literally referenced one paper that wasn't even relevant. Other than that you've only given opinion yourself. Don't suddenly act like some professional debater to try and undermine me now you've run out of arguments.

Now now, children. We must be more civil than this.

3 papers from 2 sets of authors to be fair.

If you have objective, academic evidence that supports the arguments you are trying to make I'm open to being convinced.

Yeah, didn't think so. Listen I have no ill will towards you but this seems to have reached the end of the road. If you come up with something great, but otherwise there is no point in continuing the dialogue.
Yeah, didn't think so. Listen I have no ill will towards you but this seems to have reached the end of the road. If you come up with something great, but otherwise there is no point in continuing the dialogue.

No you referenced two studies by the same author. And they weren't relevant. I probably could come up with studies if I could be bothered but you're just some random on a forum so I can't. The fact that the unis have higher entry requirements and better reputations is evidence enough, if you can't see that then I really can't help you.
Original post by Notoriety
The Economist study is based on the LEO data. Its crappy sample size is just as crappy LEO study based on HMRC and DWP, which included 95% of graduates. Note, I only referenced it for actual earnings.

Also my post was about neuroscience and overall earnings, not engineering. Doonesbury and his lot brought up engineering.

They’ve updated it then? Sorry I can’t see behind their paywall.

8. But I still know it was a prestigious university and the reputation it had if that's your attempt at an argument.

It was considered on a parr with Salford back in the 90s.
I don't know if you plan to do a master after your ΒΑ. In this case it is smarter to start at the lower ranked university where it easier to achieve a good grade and move on for your master to a higher ranked university. Employers will focus on your master.
This is not my idea, it comes from a studies consultant and it makes sense to me
UMIST was a very prestigious university

And here’s the problem with trying to use rankings of ‘prestige’. UMIST was certainly not considered a prestigious university, but you’ve got a different perception. Who’s right?

In the engineering world, backing up what’s been said elsewhere in the thread, employers do not care about universities or RG. Anyone with a decent grade in an accredited MEng will be well regarded.
Original post by Eirini Kakari
I don't know if you plan to do a master after your ΒΑ. In this case it is smarter to start at the lower ranked university where it easier to achieve a good grade and move on for your master to a higher ranked university. Employers will focus on your master.
This is not my idea, it comes from a studies consultant and it makes sense to me

That’s utter nonsense. Is your “studies consultant” paid a fee based on you getting in to university?
Original post by Eirini Kakari

I think you have a point! I definitely want to get my masters and probably a PhD as well, since I want to go into research. I think that as long as I get a good degree classification along with some other CV-boosting activities (eg societies, placements), I'll probably be able to "move up" the rankings in my further studies. It's just that maybe attending a prestigious university gives some sort of head start?
It depends on your grades. Your chances of getting good grades are probably higher in Aberdeen
Original post by PQ
It was considered on a parr with Salford back in the 90s.

Well I don't know what reputation Salford had back in the 90s, but it must have been an excellent one if it was on par with UMIST.
Well I don't know what reputation Salford had back in the 90s, but it must have been an excellent one if it was on par with UMIST.

They were both considered good universities. Not prestigious though. If umist was prestigious then Manchester wouldn’t have distanced itself so much from the brand after the takeover. And wouldn’t have tumbled down the league tables by 10-20 places immediately after.
Original post by Duncan2012
And here’s the problem with trying to use rankings of ‘prestige’. UMIST was certainly not considered a prestigious university, but you’ve got a different perception. Who’s right?

In the engineering world, backing up what’s been said elsewhere in the thread, employers do not care about universities or RG. Anyone with a decent grade in an accredited MEng will be well regarded.

UMIST most certainly was considered a prestigious university in its field.

So you're honestly telling me that if there were two candidates for a job, one from a top RG university and one from an ex-poly, both with the same grades and with very similar CVs; that the RG candidate wouldn't be preferred over the ex-poly candidate? Despite the fact that it was harder for the RG candidate to achieve the grades they got. You're deluded mate.

And considering one of the guys on here was a blatant troll, I wouldn't put too much faith into the fact that a couple of people agreed with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending