The Student Room Group

*DO NOT READ* The most boring GYG in the history of GYGs.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by indie.sxnds

You’ve just entered and trespassed a thread to be filled with struggles, tears, MORE struggles, a bunch of uninteresting stuff. This is your first warning

And if that didn’t make you leave, then I guess youll have to keep reading on this GYG, but I'm not going to bother with any of that 'enter if you dare' or 'do so at your own peril..' How cliche. Also mainly because you wont perish reading this, if anything you'll fall asleep.

I warned you.

HeY! Whats up! To introduce myself, I'm a year 11 student has her gcses in 3 months, but isn’t in school right now. What? In December, on short notice, I underwent spinal fusion(straightening of spine with rods and screws) to correct 1 of 2 problems I suffer with my spine, we spent Christmas there, and I'm currently being home-schooled, because recovery has taken its toll!1!1!

Studying at home is… well… Most schoolkids dream of being at home, waking up mid-afternoon, just starting school, all from the comfort of their bed…

…no. home school is NOTHING like that. At least not for me. GCSEs are in 3 months so your girl has to get her self together! And feeling like - & LITERALLY having similar body structure to - Frankenstein’s monster does NOT make things any easier lmao.

I have to wake up at 6, do my physio exercises, eat, and the schoolday begins. Yikes. After showering and reluctantly opening up the laptop, I have to answer emails from teachers and submit all due work- I warned you how boring this thread would be, but its not too late to turn back! Seriously, its not. Tutoring starts at 10am, and tidying my room for it is SUCH an effort let me tell you

So I guess that’s pretty much my school day, with the off chance of binge watching a show on Netflix, trips to the hospital for x rays and check ups, oh and me complaining 25/8, if you want to read more, its up to you. Totally.

wait, of course I'd forget to mention like the most important thing about this thread my subjects! Lol here you go

Spoiler

As you can see, well in the eyes of some, these mock results were preeeetty awful. :smile: You probably saw Economics and laughed at my target, I would. As for RS, i'd rather not talk about it LOL but i owe you a somewhat concise explanation. November mocks were a month before my operation, and my physical self was not up to standard, in many ways. The previous mock exams rendered better results, and I believe that they arent a true representation of a students work, or at least me I guess haha.

I plan to update this post with photos of my work, revision, memes, updates on the struggles of being a teenager, and even some x rays/ updates on my health!

I guess i chose to make this post, for myself. To look back on it in August, to see how far I've come, to not let my condition limit myself, and to prove others wrong. But, TO conclude my first GYG post and a somewhat novel of one, here's some uninteresting things about me:

Spoiler

I wish you the best.

Make sure you get extra marks added to your exams by giving your school a form of your circumstances btw.

I say this because med schools (sadly) often don't care about mitigation prior to A Levels as long as you meet the minimum requirements (even though just meeting the minimum reqs hardly gets you a place). They'll say the exam board should've taken this into account; do it if you haven't already, give yourself the best chance.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I wish you the best.

Make sure you get extra marks added to your exams by giving your school a form of your circumstances btw.

I say this because med schools (sadly) often don't care about mitigation prior to A Levels as long as you meet the minimum requirements (even though just meeting the minimum reqs hardly gets you a place). They'll say the exam board should've taken this into account; do it if you haven't already, give yourself the best chance.

Hey, thank you :smile:. would you mind explaining a little more, as i’m not quite sure I fully understand what you mean? Thanks :smile:
Hey, thank you :smile:. would you mind explaining a little more, as i’m not quite sure I fully understand what you mean? Thanks :smile:

You're eligible to have your marks boosted on your examination papers.

Medicine is competitive, so I suggest taking advantage of the above.

A lot of them don't treat students with mitigation in the best way - they'll say something along the lines of "we understand you've been poorly, but the exam board at your school should've taken care of it by giving you a mark enhancement etc". If you didn't take advantage of this, they'll either a) consider it themselves, or b) not bother and assume you were fine when you were poorly.

the a) option is a bit hit or miss too.
You're eligible to have your marks boosted on your examination papers.

Medicine is competitive, so I suggest taking advantage of the above.

A lot of them don't treat students with mitigation in the best way - they'll say something along the lines of "we understand you've been poorly, but the exam board at your school should've taken care of it by giving you a mark enhancement etc". If you didn't take advantage of this, they'll either a) consider it themselves, or b) not bother and assume you were fine when you were poorly.

the a) option is a bit hit or miss too.

Ohh okay, thank you very much. I think I’m having extra time for exams, but I don’t know yet about extra marks. How would I go about that? I’m returning to school this week.
Ohh okay, thank you very much. I think I’m having extra time for exams, but I don’t know yet about extra marks. How would I go about that? I’m returning to school this week.

You would need to obtain written medical proof by your consultant/GP

You then go to the exams office for your school, give a brief explanation of your situation and ask to be considered for mark enhancement.

Your exams officer will send your document to the JCQ or something like that where they will decide whether to give you the enhancement or not.
If they do, the enhancement will range from 1% (for the mildest scenario) to 5% for extreme scenarios (mum dying close to exam time/terminal illness).

They will not tell you whether an enhancement have been applied or not IIRC. (They might, but they definitely won't tell you how much).

Please make sure your writer of medical evidence is as specific as required so that justice is paid to the circumstance. not something vague like "x has had to miss a lot of school since she's felt poorly". It's worth noting the 3-4% is for serious medical conditions, not flu or colds which the example quote I gave can imply.

Good luck.
You would need to obtain written medical proof by your consultant/GP

You then go to the exams office for your school, give a brief explanation of your situation and ask to be considered for mark enhancement.

Your exams officer will send your document to the JCQ or something like that where they will decide whether to give you the enhancement or not.
If they do, the enhancement will range from 1% (for the mildest scenario) to 5% for extreme scenarios (mum dying close to exam time/terminal illness).

They will not tell you whether an enhancement have been applied or not IIRC. (They might, but they definitely won't tell you how much).

Please make sure your writer of medical evidence is as specific as required so that justice is paid to the circumstance. not something vague like "x has had to miss a lot of school since she's felt poorly". It's worth noting the 3-4% is for serious medical conditions, not flu or colds which the example quote I gave can imply.

Good luck.

Thank you. A letter from my consultant has already been given to the school where he mentioned extra time about a month ago, should I get another letter (back at hospital next week) from them regarding extra marks? I’ve had two months away from school now, although I’m homeschooled in english and maths, I’ve had to self teach pretty much every other subject. Also, I really appreciate you informing me about this.
Thank you. A letter from my consultant has already been given to the school where he mentioned extra time about a month ago, should I get another letter (back at hospital next week) from them regarding extra marks? I’ve had two months away from school now, although I’m homeschooled in english and maths, I’ve had to self teach pretty much every other subject. Also, I really appreciate you informing me about this.

Depends, do you think his initial letter is well written enough in that it explains your circumstance well?

Otherwise, I'd just get another one - in the worst case, just use the one you have already if you can't get another one. Particularly mention the fact about the homeschooling. A practise nurse or GP can be used too
Depends, do you think his initial letter is well written enough in that it explains your circumstance well?

Otherwise, I'd just get another one - in the worst case, just use the one you have already if you can't get another one. Particularly mention the fact about the homeschooling. A practise nurse or GP can be used too

Okay, thanks! I’ll consider probably getting another letter if I can, as the previous one wasn’t in too much depth.
Literally! And thank you i’ll try not to haha. The snow has put things back a little in terms of school, but I should be finally back this week!

Also I keep trying to rep you but it constantly says I have to rep more people! :frown:

:smile: Are you looking forward to being back? Hope it all goes smoothly and you don't get too bombarded with stuff :smile:

Don't worry about it- it's the thought that counts :wink:
Original post by Labrador99
:smile: Are you looking forward to being back? Hope it all goes smoothly and you don't get too bombarded with stuff :smile:

Don't worry about it- it's the thought that counts :wink:

Yeah, I actually am haha! More so the concept of school though, the constant home environment has been so boring, but I know as soon as i’m back at school i’ll go back to hating it again!
Yeah, I actually am haha! More so the concept of school though, the constant home environment has been so boring, but I know as soon as i’m back at school i’ll go back to hating it again!

That's good you're looking forward to it :smile: Yeah, I know what you mean about being at home all the time! :lol:

:smile:

Day 24; March 5th

Time is actually going by a lot quicker than I want it to, slow down March, like please. So I taught myself all of Topic 8 Biology (exchange and transport in animals) the best I could this morning, in a few hours. I also made revision notes for it, and hoping to go through some exam questions tomorrow to test my application of knowledge. Then I continued a v long awaited write up for a BSA award, which I'd like to send off this week:smile: Just finished 2 hours of maths homeschool which wasnt too bad. Going to revise some vocab for mandarin, finish the last of my poetry notes, and hopefully squeeze in revision of distinctive landscapes! If I don't end up procrastinating, I'll come back later and fill in on what I actually get done :smile:

Day 26; March 6th

Started the day surprisingly early- I woke up for some reason at 1am lol, and it was one of those nights where once you're up, you're up.(ironically happens to me EVERY time I'm not going to school) So I tried going back to sleep so many times but it just wasn't happening and at half 4 ish I decided i may aswell get something done. I worked on my notes for distinctive landscapes, then went over them, same for religion and life. Other than that, I spent the morning chilling for a bit, then analysing language in jekyll and hyde.

I've pretty much spent the entire late afternoon/evening trying my best to self teach physics - which for me is bad enough as it is, but it had to be magnetism! I've been dreading it all week, but it had to be done :frown: This has got to be a prime example one of the reasons why I hate homeschool, self teaching can be so hard,especially if you're not confident in the subject, or if the teacher doesn't email sufficient info. It's sometimes hard to know if you're even getting it right, but at this stage of the year I'm tying to do as many exam style questions as i can, and watching tons of videos. If anyone has any tips, please do let me know :smile:

The amazing thing though, is that as much as I hate the subject (excluding the astronomy topic LOL) when I finally understand the concept of it, its the best feeling ever.

Aiming to sleep early again today, so I'll finish off physics or do some exam style questions, revise mandarin again, and test myself on everything I learn/went over today.

Day 27; March 7th

Morning!! I plan on going to the library today, but I don’t know which subjects to study! As I’m feeling a litttttle spontaneous, if anyone sees this, they can reply with any 3 subjects (that i’m doing for GCSE) to go through today. The list is on the first page of this thread, but i’ll say them all again here:

German
Chinese
Geography
RS
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Bio
Chem
Physics
Business/Economics

If no one replies in the next 2 hours ish, i’ll just choose a few.
(edited 6 years ago)

Day 24; March 5th

Time is actually going by a lot quicker than I want it to, slow down March, like please. So I taught myself all of Topic 8 Biology (exchange and transport in animals) the best I could this morning, in a few hours. I also made revision notes for it, and hoping to go through some exam questions tomorrow to test my application of knowledge. Then I continued a v long awaited write up for a BSA award, which I'd like to send off this week:smile: Just finished 2 hours of maths homeschool which wasnt too bad. Going to revise some vocab for mandarin, finish the last of my poetry notes, and hopefully squeeze in revision of distinctive landscapes! If I don't end up procrastinating, I'll come back later and fill in on what I actually get done :smile:

Yeah, March seriously needs to slow down :yep:
Is that a CREST Award by chance? I have done Silver and Gold, so if you need any help, let me know :smile:

Day 26; March 6th

Started the day surprisingly early- I woke up for some reason at 1am lol, and it was one of those nights where once you're up, you're up.(ironically happens to me EVERY time I'm not going to school) So I tried going back to sleep so many times but it just wasn't happening and at half 4 ish I decided i may aswell get something done. I worked on my notes for distinctive landscapes, then went over them, same for religion and life. Other than that, I spent the morning chilling for a bit, then analysing language in jekyll and hyde.

I've pretty much spent the entire late afternoon/evening trying my best to self teach physics - which for me is bad enough as it is, but it had to be magnetism! I've been dreading it all week, but it had to be done :frown: This has got to be a prime example one of the reasons why I hate homeschool, self teaching can be so hard,especially if you're not confident in the subject, or if the teacher doesn't email sufficient info. It's sometimes hard to know if you're even getting it right, but at this stage of the year I'm tying to do as many exam style questions as i can, and watching tons of videos. If anyone has any tips, please do let me know :smile:

The amazing thing though, is that as much as I hate the subject (excluding the astronomy topic LOL) when I finally understand the concept of it, its the best feeling ever.

Aiming to sleep early again today, so I'll finish off physics or do some exam style questions, revise mandarin again, and test myself on everything I learn/went over today.

1am! :eek: Sounds like you had quite a productive day though :smile: Well done for persevering with the physics :biggrin:
Original post by Labrador99
1am! :eek: Sounds like you had quite a productive day though :smile: Well done for persevering with the physics :biggrin:

Yeah, it’s for my silver award! It was the prep/analysation of aspirin, i’ve done the practical side, just writing up my drafted work on OTC drugs etc, thank you! If i need help with anything i’ll let you know:smile: And haha honestly physics is just too much :frown: but I’ve got to do what I have to, until I can do what I want to :smile:
Yeah, it’s for my silver award! It was the prep/analysation of aspirin, i’ve done the practical side, just writing up my drafted work on OTC drugs etc, thank you! If i need help with anything i’ll let you know:smile: And haha honestly physics is just too much :frown: but I’ve got to do what I have to, until I can do what I want to :smile:

Nice :smile:
That's a really good attitude to have though :smile:

Day 28; March 8th / Day 29; March 9th

So I'm a little late in posting these blogs, but the past two days have been surprisingly fun! Yesterday was my first day back at school since my op, it was so good to catch up with friends, and everyone was so sweet haha. Today, I got back into my lessons a little more, and as for this whole physics thing; I've taken it to the next level lmao. I found the head of physics at lunch, and got them to explain to me basically the whole 'triple' section of electromagnetic induction, because I literally still couldn't get my head around some of this topic! It helped a lot, and especially at this time of year I need to be making sure I haven't missed a n y t h i n g. The downside of today is the fact I have so many German oral speaking questions to learn over the weekend sigh.

On another note, has anyone tried Seneca Learning? My school currently uses Tassomai, but to be honest I personally don't feel its helped me consolidate knowledge, maybe it's because I don't use it enough, but I feel like I'm just getting the answers correct based off of recognition, rather than understanding the facts. I made a seneca account and added my courses for my exam board, I really do like it! I love the concept of it, having 'memories' in different world cities, the layout, and how the questions are set out. Personally, it's probably not the best for exam style practice, however it develops understanding and helps me consolidate my knowledge in a short space of time. If I don't get a section of a topic right, after a while I'll re do it again and till I get 100%. The style of questions change constantly and there's a score system thing too.

For anyone who doesn't enjoy science in particular, I highly suggest making an account, its also free:smile: and although I can't personally guarantee you'll get a 7-9 (which I don't think is possible using this platform alone for revision, with no other techniques) I definitely think it may boost grades (a 7-9 definitely seems possible when combining this with other revision sources) , and at this time of the year, being the first to take the new GCSE, I'm using everything I can out there haha. Here's the link, https://app.senecalearning.com , anyone else that's tried this, let me know what you think of it.
heyyy!
I just started using Seneca a few days ago and I agree it’s awesome:tongue: I like how it times stuff cause otherwise I don’t really know how much time I’ve spent doing revision:redface: though I’m a bit confused about how saving my memory in Berlin is helping me?!
I’ve got tassomai through my school and I was surprised by how good it is for learning definitions though I’m kinda sick of the multiple choice questions now (so mine is now a bit orange:colondollar:).
Good luck with the German speaking and some of the electromagnetic induction stuff does take a while to get *cough* Fleming’s LH rule *cough* but i agree that it’s great when you finally get it:h:
Original post by Toastiekid
heyyy!
I just started using Seneca a few days ago and I agree it’s awesome:tongue: I like how it times stuff cause otherwise I don’t really know how much time I’ve spent doing revision:redface: though I’m a bit confused about how saving my memory in Berlin is helping me?!
I’ve got tassomai through my school and I was surprised by how good it is for learning definitions though I’m kinda sick of the multiple choice questions now (so mine is now a bit orange:colondollar:).
Good luck with the German speaking and some of the electromagnetic induction stuff does take a while to get *cough* Fleming’s LH rule *cough* but i agree that it’s great when you finally get it:h:

Hahaha the memory thing is pointless but I guess in a way it's a fun incentive to revise lol, yeah I totally get what you mean about tassomai. I also don't like the fact that apparently because of its algorithm it limits the amount you can do in a day, so once you've increased by about 1% in say, an hour, it slows down the rate at which you can increase :frown:

I hated fleming's left hand rule! Honestly in the exam I'll end up fracturing my wrist from trying to find the direction of the force or whatever :argh:

Quick Reply

Latest