The Student Room Group

Art courses

I was thinking of applying to UAL for Illustration or Animation next year but I don't have sketchbooks for application. I do sketch and all that but I don't keep the sketches because they are usually just a bunch of mess that you can't sort much out of (I can though).

My question is, are there any unis with good art courses that don't require sketchbooks for application?
Reply 1
Original post by susbird
I was thinking of applying to UAL for Illustration or Animation next year but I don't have sketchbooks for application. I do sketch and all that but I don't keep the sketches because they are usually just a bunch of mess that you can't sort much out of (I can though).

My question is, are there any unis with good art courses that don't require sketchbooks for application?

Most art universities require a portfolio and sketchbooks can be a plus or requirement. UAL usually asks for 15 pages in a portfolio so that can be either 15 pieces of work or 20 depending on how you present it. Portfolios consist of your best pieces of work that convey your design cycle (research, planning, development, experimentation and outcome). If you do not take an art subject you could always go to classes outside to build the portfolio (live drawing is extremely good in illustration portfolios) or in your spare time create pieces, do competitions and build it up to show commitment and love for the subject. Turning up to an interview with no evidence of your ability isnt a good first impression. You could always study a foundation course first to learn more processes (is a 1 year course) if you want to do it the easier way but you must remember you will be competing against those who take art subjects so having no portfolio is a big risk. Im unaware of many universities that dont wish to see portfolios for those courses but you can always research.
Reply 2
Original post by abbynub
Most art universities require a portfolio and sketchbooks can be a plus or requirement. UAL usually asks for 15 pages in a portfolio so that can be either 15 pieces of work or 20 depending on how you present it. Portfolios consist of your best pieces of work that convey your design cycle (research, planning, development, experimentation and outcome). If you do not take an art subject you could always go to classes outside to build the portfolio (live drawing is extremely good in illustration portfolios) or in your spare time create pieces, do competitions and build it up to show commitment and love for the subject. Turning up to an interview with no evidence of your ability isnt a good first impression. You could always study a foundation course first to learn more processes (is a 1 year course) if you want to do it the easier way but you must remember you will be competing against those who take art subjects so having no portfolio is a big risk. Im unaware of many universities that dont wish to see portfolios for those courses but you can always research.

I didn't say I don't have portfolio, I just don't have sketchbooks. You need at least 10 finished pieces and two sketchbooks that show research, planning etc. But I don't have that, I don't do much planning, max some study of an object that I don't know how to properly draw yet.

I think I draw pretty well, compared my drawings with some of the students and I think I could make it if only I had the sketchbooks.
Reply 3
Original post by susbird
I didn't say I don't have portfolio, I just don't have sketchbooks. You need at least 10 finished pieces and two sketchbooks that show research, planning etc. But I don't have that, I don't do much planning, max some study of an object that I don't know how to properly draw yet.

I think I draw pretty well, compared my drawings with some of the students and I think I could make it if only I had the sketchbooks.

Why dont you purchase a few A3 sketchbooks and pick your own themes then create your own projects. Itll show them that you can build your own brief and that you are acting on your own accord
Reply 4
Original post by abbynub
Why dont you purchase a few A3 sketchbooks and pick your own themes then create your own projects. Itll show them that you can build your own brief and that you are acting on your own accord

Do you think it would be okay if the books weren't filled to the brim (left few pages blank)?
Reply 5
Well a portfolio is usually a must (This containing your best pieces of work to clearly show off your skills) As far as a sketchbook goes, usually you would bring this along too as a bonus thing, this will let them see how your brain works which is great because even if your sketchbook is a mess as you say, they may see the potential through that and be impressed by your uniqueness.
Reply 6
Original post by susbird
Do you think it would be okay if the books weren't filled to the brim (left few pages blank)?

Usually my sketchbooks arent filled to the brim, they only use sketchbooks to see your design cycle in action and how it flows. I wouldnt stress filling all the pages

Quick Reply

Latest