The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by QE2
What was your original question?

I don't think I can really say seeing as how it got moderated
As long as you pass the relevent tests I can see no reason why not.
Original post by QE2
Every Islamic obligation can be foregone in case of necessity, so it's not a matter of "missing" prayer if you are in a combat situation.

Yes but in combat is not the only time where you would not be allowed to pray. If you are on duty doing a job which requires you to be present and aware of your surroundings then you obviously will might not be allowed to pray.

It's just common sense really on when a prayer wouldn't be permitted.
Original post by Sani882
I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

If someone could answer this I’d be extremely great full.

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

Yes go Girl...be a strong independent clever woman!!!
Reply 64
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Yes but in combat is not the only time where you would not be allowed to pray. If you are on duty doing a job which requires you to be present and aware of your surroundings then you obviously will might not be allowed to pray.

It's just common sense really on when a prayer wouldn't be permitted.
So are you saying that any job or activity that may not facilitate every prayer session is not suitable for Muslims? If not, what is your point?
Original post by QE2
So are you saying that any job or activity that may not facilitate every prayer session is not suitable for Muslims? If not, what is your point?

Do you know the etiquette of prayer when one is in war?
Reply 66
Original post by MiszshorTea786
Do you know the etiquette of prayer when one is in war?
Yes. Not sure how that is relevant to the discussion.
Original post by QE2
Yes. Not sure how that is relevant to the discussion.

If you did, you would have known that one cannot miss prayer for this reason.

I mentioned it because you said earlier in this thread that it's 'permissible' to miss prayer because one is in war. That is incorrect.

(By the ways, by war I mean Army)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 68
If you did, you would have known that one cannot miss prayer for this reason. Wrong. The relevant passages in the Quran and sunnah recount specific instances when prayers were conducted during battle. There is nothing that says that if you are engaged in hand-to-hand combat when the azan is called that you must lay down your arms and pray.

I mentioned it because you said earlier in this thread that it's 'permissible' to miss prayer because one is in war. That is incorrect.
No. I didn't say that. I said "every Islamic obligation can be foregone in case of necessity". Are you claiming that this is not the case?
Original post by QE2
No. I didn't say that. I said "every Islamic obligation can be foregone in case of necessity". Are you claiming that this is not the case?

In this instance, I was not referring to the Holy Quraan.

When one is in war, there is a specific manner in which one has to adhere to.

See prayer cannot be missed for whatever reason one may be in at the time. So you are incorrect sir.
Reply 70
In this instance, I was not referring to the Holy Quraan.

When one is in war, there is a specific manner in which one has to adhere to.

See prayer cannot be missed for whatever reason one may be in at the time. So you are incorrect sir.
So you are saying that when one is engaged in hand to hand combat and the azan sounds, you must put down your weapons and kneel before your adversary.
Interesting.
Could you link to the hadith that commands this? Thanks.
Reply 71
Just to be clear, I am referring to the ruku and sujud elements of prayer. Obviously anyone can utter the words under any circumstances, so that element is not relevant to the discussion.
Original post by QE2
So you are saying that when one is engaged in hand to hand combat and the azan sounds, you must put down your weapons and kneel before your adversary.
Interesting.
Could you link to the hadith that commands this? Thanks.

It's not a hadeeth. It's a ruling. The ruling is that when one is in the battlefield they should get into groups and perform prayer, whilst the other group safeguards the area whilst the first group finishes their prayer.

They then swap over, and it goes on like this until the whole prayer is finished.
Original post by QE2
Just to be clear, I am referring to the ruku and sujud elements of prayer. Obviously anyone can utter the words under any circumstances, so that element is not relevant to the discussion.

Ruku and sajdah are two elements of prayer. You cannot eliminate this from the intial prayer itself. So one cannot just go into a sajdah/Ruku position should they not even had uttered the takbeer at the beginning.

Thana is also an essential requirements of prayer itself.
Reply 74
It's not a hadeeth. It's a ruling. The ruling is that when one is in the battlefield they should get into groups and perform prayer, whilst the other group safeguards the area whilst the first group finishes their prayer.

They then swap over, and it goes on like this until the whole prayer is finished.
But this would only be possible in certain circumstances. What happens when every Muslim soldier is physically engaged with an enemy and if half of the stopped fighting, the battle would be lost.

It is this very situation that sura 2:239 covers. "If ye fear an enemy, pray on foot, or riding,"
This is further confirmed by Al-Bukhari..."Al-Awza`i said, "If the victory seems near and the Muslims are unable to perform the prayer (in the normal manner), they should pray by nodding each by himself. If they are unable to nod, they should delay the prayer until fighting is finished."

Hope this helped
Original post by QE2
But this would only be possible in certain circumstances. What happens when every Muslim soldier is physically engaged with an enemy and if half of the stopped fighting, the battle would be lost.

It is this very situation that sura 2:239 covers. "If ye fear an enemy, pray on foot, or riding,"
This is further confirmed by Al-Bukhari..."Al-Awza`i said, "If the victory seems near and the Muslims are unable to perform the prayer (in the normal manner), they should pray by nodding each by himself. If they are unable to nod, they should delay the prayer until fighting is finished."

Hope this helped

Battles can be lost, but prayer comes first for a Muslim. A true Muslim knows the benefit of Salaah itself so if they really care they would put their prayer first before anything else.

One cannot delay prayer under any circumstances.
Battles can be lost, but prayer comes first for a Muslim. A true Muslim knows the benefit of Salaah itself so if they really care they would put their prayer first before anything else.

Wait so if the option is get shot or miss prayer, you have to choose to die? Prayer comes before the life of a person? That’s messed up.
Original post by cat_mac
Wait so if the option is get shot or miss prayer, you have to choose to die? Prayer comes before the life of a person? That’s messed up.

Ah! Should an individual pass away when they are fighting, they are guaranteed a death of martyr.
Reply 78
But to knowingly expose oneself to certain death is suicide, and that is forbidden in Islam, so you must be wrong about that.

Al-Bukhari begs to differ. Did you not read his quote above? Perhaps you are a more knowledgable scholar than him, or Ibn Kathir, who included that quote in his tafsir, or Abd al-Rahman al-Awza', who made the ruling?

Or how about Anas bin Malik? He describes delaying prayer until a battle was over. Are you more knowledgable than one of the sahabi?

Spoiler

Original post by QE2
Al-Bukhari begs to differ. Did you not read his quote above? Perhaps you are a more knowledgable scholar than him, or Ibn Kathir, who included that quote in his tafsir, or Abd al-Rahman al-Awza', who made the ruling?

Or how about Anas bin Malik? He describes delaying prayer until a battle was over. Are you more knowledgable than one of the sahabi?

Spoiler

Why would one go into a battle in the first place then? Should they know the outcome? Salaah comes first more than anything else.

Did you not know the Hadeeth upon missing a prayer even in the case of a battle?

Please do reference your sources so that it's sanad can be distinguished. Thank you.

Latest