The Student Room Group

Medicine in Oxford

Hey guys I want to know how likely it is to study medicine in Oxford. I have just been accepted to the UNIQ programme which will help me get in. But is it reliable?

I would have to do the BMAT which is extra work since I'm doing the UKCAT too... Is it worth applying?
what are your gcses?
Your chances of getting in would depend largely on your GCSEs, BMAT and interview. Have a look at the stats here: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Your UKCAT wouldn't be at the same time as your BMAT and you only really need 1 month max of light prep for each so they don't overlap anyway.

It's your choice. Bear in mind that Oxford are GCSE heavy.

Also if you do decide to take the BMAT, avoid applying to more than 2 BMAT unis as you won't have sat the test when you send off your application but you will have your UKCAT score at hand.
You should thoroughly research a wide variety of med schools. You should look at which ones you like, but also which ones you stand a chance of getting into (as some are very UKCAT heavy, some are GCSE heavy, etc), and on the basis of those two factors, make a decision as to where to apply.
Original post by hello2906
what are your gcses?

GCSEs:
-Edexcel Mathematics - 8
-Edexcel Statistics - A
-AQA English Language - 6
-AQA English Literature - 7
-AQA Sociology - A
-AQA Physics - A
-AQA Biology - A
-AQA Chemistry - A
-OCR Computing - A*
-BTEC Business - Distinction*
-ECDL - Distinction*

A levels:
-Edexcel Physics - [PENDING]
-Edexcel Mathematics - [PENDING]
-OCR B (salters) Chemistry - [PENDING]
Reply 6
Original post by Kushala Daora
GCSEs:
-Edexcel Mathematics - 8
-Edexcel Statistics - A
-AQA Sociology - A
-AQA Physics - A
-AQA Biology - A
-AQA Chemistry - A
-OCR Computing - A*
-ECDL - Distinction*

A levels:
#

With all due respect, it would be very difficult to get in with your current GCSE grades.
Original post by JoeeA
#

With all due respect, it would be very difficult to get in with your current GCSE grades.

Thank you for your honesty. So is it worth even trying?
Reply 8
It's a difficult one, and I am not the most knowledgable on the subject. May I ask what your predicted grades are? On another note do Oxford not require Biology?

I got rejected this year with 8A*s and 3As, whilst they do consider contextual things (which I assume you have if you're doing the UNIQ school) it's unlikely to make masses of difference. If your predicteds are high, perhaps look at Cambridge instead

Have you read the link StationtoStation posted above?

Original post by JoeeA
On another note do Oxford not require Biology?

No.
(edited 6 years ago)
GCSEs:
-Edexcel Mathematics - 8
-Edexcel Statistics - A
-AQA Sociology - A
-AQA Physics - A
-AQA Biology - A
-AQA Chemistry - A
-OCR Computing - A*
-ECDL - Distinction*

A levels:

you would be very unlikely to get an interview without an absolutely stellar bmat score (which is very, very difficult to get), and even then it wouldn't be guaranteed at all. why don't you look at cambridge instead?
Original post by JennLousie
I got rejected this year with 8A*s and 3As, whilst they do consider contextual things (which I assume you have if you're doing the UNIQ school) it's unlikely to make masses of difference. If your predicteds are high, perhaps look at Cambridge instead

Ouch. What on earth are they expecting from us ffs?
I am doing the UNIQ thing, is it still worth doing if I don't apply?

its just the amount of competition really. so many people with 10 a* or more apply.

Totally! You can still write it on your personal statement whether you apply to Oxford and it still looks good!

They put detailed admission stats on the website for a reason!

Of course its still worth doing. Its a course in medicine at university - the thing you presumably want to do!
Well, I'm glad that I still have the opportunity to go to university anyway, oxford or no oxford. I've been thinking and, I don't think it's ideal to apply for any non-UKCAT unis (like Cambridge) too; it wont be worth the effort, doing BMATs for no reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending