The Student Room Group

DFID Talent Programme 2018

Scroll to see replies

Ah I see they have an autoreply on their support email about not being able to access tests. Not the only one I guess
Reply 21
Original post by oneironaut
Well done on passing the tests! Yes the technical issues were a ‘mare.

I haven’t applied for the fast stream but last year I applied for the NGDP. The application process for the DFID scheme is MUCH quicker and with fewer steps, I think it is a lot quicker than the fast stream process too. So I don’t think you can compare the processes! As AC’s are in March/April, we won’t be waiting that long anyway which is a relief.

Does anyone know how many applicants there usually are for this programme? I know for NGDP there are usually 2,500. I would think it’s much fewer for this but would be great if someone can confirm.

Thank you! Although it took me 2 very l o n g hours to get the verbal reasoning test to launch, that was not fun. And then, as a result, not having as much time left as I would have liked to do the numerical test.

Well done to yourself also!

I'm surprised that the DFID recruitment programmes never to seem to have as much hype surrounding them as other Civil Service schemes seem to, it looks like a great opportunity. I don't know about numbers but what I do know is that there are 25 places (not sure how they are spread between London and East Kilbride) and I'm guessing there are quite a few more applicants.
Reply 22
Original post by Krayson savo
Ah I see they have an autoreply on their support email about not being able to access tests. Not the only one I guess

I'm sure they will give you more time if the fault is on their side. That would be fair. They should reply to your email within two days.
Reply 23
Hey Guys!

I've just finished my numerical test (lots of technical issues--pain!), and it says I've met the minimum standard for the test. However, it does not say that I've progressed onto the next stage (i.e. reviewing written application). Is this normal/is this also the case for you guys?
Original post by apricot5
Thank you! Although it took me 2 very l o n g hours to get the verbal reasoning test to launch, that was not fun. And then, as a result, not having as much time left as I would have liked to do the numerical test.

Well done to yourself also!

I'm surprised that the DFID recruitment programmes never to seem to have as much hype surrounding them as other Civil Service schemes seem to, it looks like a great opportunity. I don't know about numbers but what I do know is that there are 25 places (not sure how they are spread between London and East Kilbride) and I'm guessing there are quite a few more applicants.

I think the lack of hype is weird too, but they really could do more to promote it - it's not marketed as well as other public sector schemes. I only found out about this by chance a couple of days before the original closing date. I also don't think it helps that there's little to no info available on what the scheme actually entails and what kind of work you could be doing... That said, it cuts down on the competition for us right? :wink:

Original post by IIXIXV
Hey Guys!

I've just finished my numerical test (lots of technical issues--pain!), and it says I've met the minimum standard for the test. However, it does not say that I've progressed onto the next stage (i.e. reviewing written application). Is this normal/is this also the case for you guys?

What does it say in your application centre?

Mine says "You've completed the online testing stage. We're reviewing your results and will contact you to advise of your outcome. "

But there've been technical issues throughout so if you've met the standard for all 3 tests, it could possibly be down to IT issues if it's not showing you this message.
Reply 25
It does mention something in the guidelines that passing each assessment in terms of gaining a high enough percentile placing to be progressed to the next online assessment is not indication that your application will be considered. They don't decide the pass mark until they have the final stats from this year applicants. I'm so nervous, probably because I have been aiming for this for 6 years!
How do you guys know about the popularity of the scheme? i know it was widely advertised where I study (SOAS). I don’t know what figures they had last year either, but I assume competition is tough for 25 places.
Last time i checked my application said "on hold after online tests."

So glad they extended the deadline as I wouldn't have had time to complete the process otherwise.
Reply 28
Original post by Criscris2017
How do you guys know about the popularity of the scheme? i know it was widely advertised where I study (SOAS). I don’t know what figures they had last year either, but I assume competition is tough for 25 places.

Have they done a Talent Programme before?
Reply 29
Hi I have also submitted my application for the DFID grad scheme 2018. Good luck everyone!

I was trying to find information on when we would hear back so was reading the FAQs PDF. On there it says that once you have completed the 3 online tests you will then be emailed a link to a second application form based on competencies. I completed the online tests and passed them all. But I was not aware there was a second form and did not receive a way to progress to it.

Was there a second form that everyone else Completed? I'm hoping my application is not incomplete!
Reply 30
Original post by Brycee
Hi I have also submitted my application for the DFID grad scheme 2018. Good luck everyone!

I was trying to find information on when we would hear back so was reading the FAQs PDF. On there it says that once you have completed the 3 online tests you will then be emailed a link to a second application form based on competencies. I completed the online tests and passed them all. But I was not aware there was a second form and did not receive a way to progress to it.

Was there a second form that everyone else Completed? I'm hoping my application is not incomplete!

I also read through that this morning but didn't see anything about a link to a second application? And it was definitely the most up to date one I read as the dates had been changed to relfect the deadline extention. You would have filled in the competencies before being allowed to progress to the online tests so don't worry I'm sure your application is fine. Although it would have made sense for the application process to be like that as the majority of us will have wasted a fair amount of time on the competencies to then not make the cut with the assessments!

11. What is the recruitment process? The recruitment process will consist of the following: A competence based application form, which requires you to complete personal data and provide evidence of the competencies stated in the advert. You will be assessed at level 3 of the Civil Service Competency Framework . Three online tests; a situational judgement test anchored on Civil Service competencies, followed by verbal and numerical reasoning tests. If you score sufficiently well in each test will invited to the next, otherwise you will leave the application process. If a large number of applications are received we may sift on the lead competency which will be 'leading and communicating'. If your application has been successful at the sifting stage, you will be invited to an assessment centre. All data is anonymised up to the point of invitation to assessment centres. You will be invited as part of a group of applicants and the day will consist of an interview, a group exercise, a role play and associated written exercise. Selection to the programme will be assessed on your performance at the assessment centre. Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
(edited 6 years ago)
They've invited me to the first round of tests, fortunately. Looks like they're doing their best to make it all work.
Hi Everyone and congratulations for getting this far!

I have passed the test and I am now waiting to hear back but I am wondering about the status of my application. It says, "on hold after online tests". Does anyone else have this? I'm worried I have forgotten to press an extra button which is necessary!

I also was wondering about what consists of a 'good' mark. Does anything above 70% mean you've done well?
Reply 33
Original post by Krayson savo
They've invited me to the first round of tests, fortunately. Looks like they're doing their best to make it all work.

That's great! I thought they would.
Original post by CharlieBeanie

I have passed the test and I am now waiting to hear back but I am wondering about the status of my application. It says, "on hold after online tests". Does anyone else have this? I'm worried I have forgotten to press an extra button which is necessary!

I also was wondering about what consists of a 'good' mark. Does anything above 70% mean you've done well?

Mine also says that, I presumed that this was the default, 'you've passed the tests, now you're waiting on the application review'?

I honestly don't know how the marks work, I was in the 80s and 90s for the situational judgement and numerical, but much lower for the verbal, but they're percentiles not scores, so maybe everyone just did really well on the verbal? I also presume that as the system let me do all three i've passed that stage, I hope i'm not wrong.
Original post by Brycee

That confused me too, but I think they must have decided to merge the competency bit with the main form, and just forgot to update the guidance?
Original post by Criscris2017

I’m just basing this assumption on my own experience - no one I know seems to be aware of the scheme, but they all seem to know about the other big public sector schemes like NHS, NGDP and Fast Stream. Also throughout this thread various people have said they only found out about it by chance close to the deadline, so it wasn’t something they’d been planning or preparing to to do for a while.

Another reason why I thought it wasn’t very popular is because the application process is much quicker than the other schemes I mentioned, possibly suggesting that there are far fewer applicants for DFID. But I didn’t know other unis were advertising it (mine isn’t) so maybe I’m wrong!
It would be nice to know how many applicants there usually are so we can gauge our chances of success.
Reply 37
Original post by CharlieBeanie

Yes this is what my status says also CharlieBeanie - I believe this is what it should be is the general consensus on here :smile:

Original post by TryingIsGood
That confused me too, but I think they must have decided to merge the competency bit with the main form, and just forgot to update the guidance?

TryingIsGood I think that you are right because we already answered competency based Qs and the FAQs I was looking at did not have the extended deadline on so I am sure they were not the most up to date. I checked the FAQs through the portal when I had logged in and they were as Skinni had pasted into the group - i.e. without mention of the second form - so I think it is fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by oneironaut
I’m just basing this assumption on my own experience - no one I know seems to be aware of the scheme, but they all seem to know about the other big public sector schemes like NHS, NGDP and Fast Stream. Also throughout this thread various people have said they only found out about it by chance close to the deadline, so it wasn’t something they’d been planning or preparing to to do for a while.

Another reason why I thought it wasn’t very popular is because the application process is much quicker than the other schemes I mentioned, possibly suggesting that there are far fewer applicants for DFID. But I didn’t know other unis were advertising it (mine isn’t) so maybe I’m wrong!
It would be nice to know how many applicants there usually are so we can gauge our chances of success.

Yeah I agree with these points in terms of popularity.

I also thought it was strange that the deadline was extended. This indicated to me that there may have been less people applying than they thought.
Original post by TryingIsGood
Mine also says that, I presumed that this was the default, 'you've passed the tests, now you're waiting on the application review'?

I honestly don't know how the marks work, I was in the 80s and 90s for the situational judgement and numerical, but much lower for the verbal, but they're percentiles not scores, so maybe everyone just did really well on the verbal? I also presume that as the system let me do all three i've passed that stage, I hope i'm not wrong.

Hey, don't you have a place on the fast stream?!

Quick Reply

Latest