The Student Room Group

How can I effectively revise for 2018 GCSE's?

Hi, I am a year 10 student and I am doing my English language, maths and combined science GCSE's this year! Currently I only have 2 months left to revise and I am near breaking point due to my workload! Any tips on effective revision?
I try to base my revision on an article written by a Professor called John Dulonsky. If you google Dulonsky study strategies, you'll find it - it's called Strengthening the Student Toolbox. He rates 10 different revision techniques from the very best to the very worst.

1 - practice questions
2 - spreading out studies over time
3 - mixing content
4 and 5- explaining things to yourself and to friends
6 - re-reading
7 - highlighting
8 - writing summaries
9 - using mnemonics
10 - mental images of texts

Also, if you google GCSE Free Learning you'll find a few websites that sort of already do those things for you. Good luck!
Thanks! :smile::smile:
Past papers are wonderful for practicing how the questions will be the exams. As well as knowing the information, you need to know how to answer the questions in the way the mark scheme wants.

Make notes from your school books and revision guides. Whether it be mind maps, pictures, timelines, whatever. Add colour and make it stand out. Shorten your notes down onto Flashcards to hell you remember the key points. Stick post-it notes around places you go all the time in your house for things like quotes for English.

Remember to spend time relaxing too. Don't get yourself in too deep that you lose the energy and motivation to revise.

Revise in 30 minute slots - a five minute break between the first two, then a ten minutes break. Repeat the cycle a few time. It's much better than revising for five hours straight and taking an hour's break afterwards.

In short, revise in ways that work for you, don't burn yourself out, and remember to take time to relax.
Reply 4
Original post by LarissaAlves
I try to base my revision on an article written by a Professor called John Dulonsky. If you google Dulonsky study strategies, you'll find it - it's called Strengthening the Student Toolbox. He rates 10 different revision techniques from the very best to the very worst.

1 - practice questions
2 - spreading out studies over time
3 - mixing content
4 and 5- explaining things to yourself and to friends
6 - re-reading
7 - highlighting
8 - writing summaries
9 - using mnemonics
10 - mental images of texts

Also, if you google GCSE Free Learning you'll find a few websites that sort of already do those things for you. Good luck!

1 being the best or worst? I find that practice questions help me a lot, I'm guessing that they are ranked the best.
Original post by allenpc
1 being the best or worst? I find that practice questions help me a lot, I'm guessing that they are ranked the best.

1 being the best!
2 the second best
10 the worst

I agree, practising questions help!

Quick Reply

Latest