The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Of course you can, we allow alternative headdress to replace the headscarf.

We also now allow women into infantry roles, so every role in the Army is open to you! Wooo
Original post by QE2
Right, listen very carefully, this is actually quite simple.

I said that prayers can be delayed in the case of battle. I quoted scholars and sahaba in support. Muhammad himself delayed prayer during battle.

You claimed that prayer cannot be delayed under any circumstances, but failed to provide and references. You are demonstrably wrong.

Now you are arguing that prayers cannot be missed. That is a straw man as I never claimed that they could be, only that they can be delayed.

If you are talking during the Battle of Badr our Beloved prophet Muhammad(SAW) did not perform prayer but he made dua, there's a clear difference in there.

Under normal circumstances, Muslims are not permitted to delay neither are they permitted to miss their Salah. In regards to the army, there's a reasoning behind the ruling of the groups so that no prayer is missed.

This reminds me of the 'excuses that one come up with not do homework example'. Prayer does not take long, and should it do and an individual passes away they are immediately guarneteed Jannah.

What more could an individual require?
Original post by MiszshorTea786
Hence the ruling upon the groups that I have mentioned already. That is one type of prevention should a Muslim want to go and battle in the army.

Talking about dying in prayer, this is the most preferred method of dying of a Muslim ask any true Muslim today, how would they like to pass away their answer would be in postration.

It has happened many times before that particular Muslims were lucky to pass away in such a position.

Brutal.
Original post by Sani882
I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

If someone could answer this I’d be extremely great full.

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

Why the need to look at it from a religious perspective?
You have free will.
Original post by Sani882
I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

If someone could answer this I’d be extremely great full.

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

The Army is not all about helping others. In peacetime, very much so (as well as in wartime to a lesser extent), but you are trained killers. That's what a soldier is. Simply cogs in a machine. To the people in power, you are expendable.
Reply 105
If you are talking during the Battle of Badr our Beloved prophet Muhammad(SAW) did not perform prayer but he made dua, there's a clear difference in there.
Nope. Battle of Azhab.

Under normal circumstances, Muslims are not permitted to delay their Salah.
But bitter fighting during battle is not "normal circumstances".

In regards to the army, there's a reasoning behind the ruling of the groups so that no prayer is missed.
But the instruction to pray in groups is irrelevant to the issue here. Muhammad himself delayed prayer because of heavy fighting.

This reminds me of the 'excuses that one come up with not do homework example'. Prayer does not take long, and should it do and an individual passes away they are immediately guarneteed Jannah.

What more could an individual require?
Well, Muhammad obviously thought that victory in battle was preferable to a pointless and avoidable death.
Original post by QE2
Well, Muhammad obviously thought that victory in battle was preferable to a pointless and avoidable death.

Battle of Ahzab*

Should one do it with the intention of Allah in mind, he would come to assist. Take the battle of Uhud as an example.

The battle before could not be compared to the numbers of individuals present in the army today. They had a battlefield in which it portrays the number of individuals that they were fighting, today it's a different story.

Pointless? and avoidable? Do you know the exact time and place you are going to pass away?
Original post by ugaaa5
The Army is not all about helping others. In peacetime, very much so (as well as in wartime to a lesser extent), but you are trained killers. That's what a soldier is. Simply cogs in a machine. To the people in power, you are expendable.

You do know there are about 70 different roles in the Army, and only a tiny portion of those involve closing with the enemy?

Tell me exactly how an Army vet, or an Army surgeon, or an Army chef is a trained killer?
Your religion does not matter when joining the military, almost all roles are open to women however I'm quite sure that royal marine commandos don't except women. Something that might effect you getting in is how long you have been living in the country for. Best thing to do is go directly to your local recruitment office or even email them the question.
Original post by Drewski
You do know there are about 70 different roles in the Army, and only a tiny portion of those involve closing with the enemy?

Tell me exactly how an Army vet, or an Army surgeon, or an Army chef is a trained killer?

What I meant is very clear. Read between the lines.
The likelihood is that the OP is referring to infantry roles.
Original post by ugaaa5

What would a lazy Marxist like yourself know? Get off the internet and get a job you pleb.
Original post by Avenging Caliban
What would a lazy Marxist like yourself know? Get off the internet and get a job you pleb.

I'm not a Marxist + I'm a student.
The truth hurts, I know.
Battle of Ahzab*

Should one do it with the intention of Allah in mind, he would come to assist. Take the battle of Uhud as an example.

The battle before could not be compared to the numbers of individuals present in the army today. They had a battlefield in which it portrays the number of individuals that they were fighting, today it's a different story.

Pointless? and avoidable? Do you know the exact time and place you are going to pass away?

For christ's sake, the girl just wanted to know whether she can join the army. You don't need to post a complete history of warfare in Islam.
Original post by ugaaa5
I'm not a Marxist + I'm a student.
The truth hurts, I know.

A student which means you haven't worked a day in your life. So you should shut your mouth before criticising other professions.
For christ's sake, the girl just wanted to know whether she can join the army. You don't need to post a complete history of warfare in Islam.

And I gave my answer to OP.

Funny how you don't pick out the ones I was having the debate with?
A student which means you haven't worked a day in your life. So you should shut your mouth before criticising other professions.

I actually have worked before. Also, that's a grossly stupid thing to say. To claim that I cannot question the role of a soldier because I haven't worked at Tesco's is highly illogical.
I'm afraid this isn't the DM.
I would strongly advice against stopping to have a prayer in the middle of a battle. It would make you a sitting target.
Original post by Andrew97
I would strongly advice against stopping to have a prayer in the middle of a battle. It would make you a sitting target.

There's specficed prayer times you know.

One is not going to be in the state of prayer the entire time they are in the battlefield..
Original post by Andrew97

haha
Yes, as a Muslim girl you can join the army, no problem. Your prayers can be delayed and will take a back seat as fighting and killing for your country will obviously come first if you are a soldier.

Latest