The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or Warwick?

Heya!

Not so recently, I had been given a conditional offer at both Warwick and Durham for PPE, however I am having trouble as to where I might opt to go. I am an international student from the Philippines doing the IB program right now haha well here are some reasons why I'd opt for one over the other

DURHAM:
- significantly cheaper than Warwick for my course
- assigned to Van Mildert - so guaranteed I'll have a single room
- such a pretty sight
- baseball is a club offered
- far away from my dad
- accommodation looks amazing
- the JCR at Van Mildert looks super cool

WARWICK:
- ranked higher than Durham for my course
- closer to London
- not as cold
- has more of an international community
- i might fit in better at Warwick than at Durham because from what I've heard people are posh and I'm not sure if the likes of me will be integrated in well

any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! i'm unable to visit either of the schools because the offer holder open days are scheduled during the busiest times of my IB career ughhhh

thanks so much!

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
As far as I know , Warwick is a lot better than Durham for PPE. Your first priority should always be the quality of the course and in this case Warwick is head and shoulders above Durham. I'd pick Warwick.
I applied to both and holding conditional offers from both I picked Warwick (for compsci).The PPE course at Warwick is a lot better and Warwick has great industrial links to firms in investment banking/finance. Although personally I know that Durham has a lot of prestige because it's old I felt that I would be very secluded there as it is a very small town, very far north of england with not many international students. And as an international student living in a very hot country it won't be a cake walk adjusting to life in the UK and I think that Durham would only make it harder for myself.
Reply 4
Is being closer to London a pro or a con in your book?
Warwick and Durham are both posh unis lol.

Warwick might be better for PPE though as they are big on economics.

More then likely you will make the most of your money with the economics portion of your degree.

Unless your going straight into politics, or becoming the next aristotle.
Reply 6
Original post by anxiughty
DURHAM:

WARWICK:
- not as cold

Durham would be generally warmer than Warwick in the winter but cooler in the summer, due to the nearby North Sea. It's also a bit wetter. Bring a coat, you'll be fine.

Original post by Realitysreflexx
Warwick and Durham are both posh unis lol.

Durham is "posher" if poshness is a function of the proportion of privately-schooled students. Also Durham has colleges.
Original post by Doonesbury
Durham would be generally warmer than Warwick in the winter but cooler in the summer, due to the nearby North Sea. It's also a bit wetter. Bring a coat, you'll be fine.

Durham is "posher" if poshness is a function of the proportion of privately-schooled students. Also Durham has colleges.

Nouvea riche are not posh. I doubt you see people in tweed hunting jackets and signet rings walking about Warwick.
Reply 8
Original post by Notoriety
Nouvea riche are not posh. I doubt you see people in tweed hunting jackets and signet rings walking about Warwick.

And pink cords. Hold on, are signet rings still de rigeur for poshos?
And pink cords. Hold on, are signet rings still de rigeur for poshos?

Haha, surprisingly. Maybe the signets are the bottom-rung poshos? Those protesting a tad too much.

in modern society the only truly posh unis are oxbridge. You can blend in anywhere...its silly to not go to a uni just because it might be considered posh....York has colleges and so does Lancaster that doesnt make it posh... 1/5 nottingham students are privately educated, myself included and we arent to posh either.. Its silly to base and academic decision on that lol.
Reply 11
Its silly to base and academic decision on that lol.

For once we agree. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
in modern society the only truly posh unis are oxbridge. You can blend in anywhere...its silly to not go to a uni just because it might be considered posh....York has colleges and so does Lancaster that doesnt make it posh... 1/5 nottingham students are privately educated, myself included and we arent to posh either.. Its silly to base and academic decision on that lol.

Yeah, but Durham's colleges are closer to Oxbridge's than Yorkcanster's. (That portmanteau will catch on, you watch.)
Reply 13
(That portmanteau will catch on, you watch.)

And I'll keep pushing Camford.

Actually, Dorkcaster has a certain ring to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're just mad three Africans and a Pakistani outperformed you.

They absolutely didn't...i went to my dream school....nothing about Durham appealed to me in the slightest, im not idiotic enough to do a management degree and then doing a Bachelor or Arts in it.

I much prefer my BsC international Management
Reply 15
They absolutely didn't...i went to my dream school....nothing about Durham appealed to me in the slightest, im not idiotic enough to do a management degree and then doing a Bachelor or Arts in it.

You know all Camford degrees are BAs?

(BSc)

I hope that works out for you.

Anyway, I hope OP is not put off too much to find out that Durham has at least 4 BME students.

(BSc)

Hahaha, not giving up on the Camford easily are you?

Btw what do you think about BA biz vs BSc biz?

(BSc)

Yeah but Durham isn't Oxbridge. It doesnt have the same mystique globally. They also only require AAB for business, that tells you something, its not something they are known or likely care for.
Reply 19
I don't give it any thought when I see it on a CV. If the position was looking for someone with strong numeracy/stats I'd either test it at interview and/or be encouraged if they had a Maths A-level (as with any candidate).

Quick Reply

Latest