The Student Room Group

how to deal with a sexist science teacher

I REALLY NEED A GUYS POINT OF VIEW, WHY ARE YOU GUYS (SOME) SEXIST AND HOW DO I HELP IT? My science teacher is constantly telling me and the other woman in our class that we should be at home cooking and cleaning, that there will never be any successful woman bc all we care about is being a slut to impress the guys at school, he has even gone as far to say that women deserved to be raped and beaten up because we never know our place, and that we all need to be aware that we are only here to satisfy mens needs, that all women do is cry and that the world was a better place before we were able to vote. He also is always complaining how women try to "be like men" by being in the military, science and engineering classes, even though they know they are not as tough and smart as men. The sexist things he says keep getting worse and worse. Don't say go to your principle about it bc trust me i tried i was told to "not take everything so seriously" and was asked if its that time of the month because i am very emotional. And yes you guessed it, my principal is a guy and just as sexist. I really wanna be a scientist when i grow up but i feel like my teacher is ruining my chances, and holding me back and giving me a lesser of an education than others, simply because im a woman.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I REALLY NEED A GUYS POINT OF VIEW, WHY ARE YOU GUYS (SOME) SEXIST AND HOW DO I HELP IT? My science teacher is constantly telling me and the other woman in our class that we should be at home cooking and cleaning, that there will never be any successful woman bc all we care about is being a slut to impress the guys at school, he has even gone as far to say that women deserved to be raped and beaten up because we never know our place, and that we all need to be aware that we are only here to satisfy mens needs, that all women do is cry and that the world was a better place before we were able to vote. He also is always complaining how women try to "be like men" by being in the military, science and engineering classes, even though they know they are not as tough and smart as men. The sexist things he says keep getting worse and worse. Don't say go to your principle about it bc trust me i tried i was told to "not take everything so seriously" and was asked if its that time of the month because i am very emotional. And yes you guessed it, my principal is a guy and just as sexist. I really wanna be a scientist when i grow up but i feel like my teacher is ruining my chances, and holding me back and giving me a lesser of an education than others, simply because im a woman.

Record it. Send it to the press.
Says a lot about your school if they're hiring someone so ignorant and backwards. If your headteacher has expressed that he isn't going to do anything, contact OFSTED. His behaviour is nothing short of outrageous and the headteacher is just as bad for letting it happen. The one thing you can do is prove him wrong - work hard, ignore his remarks, get good grades and become a scientist with a much more successful career than he's got.
Reply 3

Say sexist **** back like:
"A woman's place is in the kitchen" you know what you're right. Lemme grab a knife."
"Man: "Nice tits." Me: "If you're going to be a sexist pig at least be accurate. I have fantastic breasts."
"5yo daughter got told by a 7yo boy at the park that 'boys are best'. She promptly out performed him on monkey bars" (just do amazing in science and go back with a Phd :h:)
"Bloke: 'you're a bit too thin for me'. Me: 'that's lucky because you're a bit too thick for me'."
"MAN: "Ive got the F, C and K, all I need is U" ME: "I've got the B, Y and E, so I don't need U"
"Him: "Look darlin, I don't mean to hassle you but…" Me: "WELL THEN DON'T HASSLE ME."
"Male colleague: "Don't mind her, she's on her period." Me: "If I had to bleed to find you annoying, I'd be anaemic."
"A friend heard a guy shout 'Sit on my face!' at a girl who replied 'Why, is your nose bigger than your ****?'"
"On train home guy rubs my bum. I grab hand, lift it in the air & say "has anyone lost a hand? I found this one on my arse!"

Hope they help :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
guy is just having a bad time with women maybe hes wife or something left him.
anyways guys have a lot of ego and pride ...so when we feel our game is crushed we kinda lose faith in the other sex.
just like lesbians (some) who are to my eyes sexist they just lost faith in men.
I asked a feminist lesbian once why they use penis shaped dil*os and yet claim to only love women.
she answered that bits not the penis they hatebits the guy behind it 😕.
anyways in the teacher case either record it or just assemble the women in your class who feel offended and report him ...its that easy the numbers will win
Reply 5
Original post by PQ

You should get evidence of this so you can prove yourself.

It is right you should be cooking and cleaning but that goes for everyone, not just women as they are important parts of life.
Original post by PQ

Don't encourage snitching.

I wouldn’t allow it to bother you. Just see the guy as a broken and lonely dude, who needs help. As long as he has not physically assaulted you, then you should let it be.

If you live your life as a snowflake, you will be in for a rude shock after your education. The world is not a friendly place, so use this period as time to develop a thick skin.

I also like the response from Bham369, use them and learn to have witty put downs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ

And then upload it here for our viewing pleasure.
Original post by Wired_1800
I wouldn’t allow it to bother you. Just see the guy as a broken and lonely dude, who needs help. As long as he has not physically assaulted you, then you should let it be.

If you live your life as a snowflake, you will be in for a rude shock after your education. The world is not a friendly place, so use this period as time to develop a thick skin.

I also like the response from Bham369, use them and learn to have witty put downs.

There is some truth in this you do need to have a lot of tolerance in the real world but this sort of abuse clearly crosses a red line when you are telling people that they should be raped and beaten up. Also, I think that teachers need to be good role models for children so it is not wrong to expect the highest standards from them.

I would report them to the NSPCC as this is clearly child abuse and even the Police even as what he has said could constitute threatening behaviour and harassment and I think think the teacher could be considered a threat to the children in the class.
Best way to deal with this is to study hard outside of school and make sure you get your grades so you can have your personal vindication and go "ha! guess women are not so useless after all"
Original post by Dalek1099
There is some truth in this you do need to have a lot of tolerance in the real world but this sort of abuse clearly crosses a red line when you are telling people that they should be raped and beaten up. Also, I think that teachers need to be good role models for children so it is not wrong to expect the highest standards from them.

I would report them to the NSPCC as this is clearly child abuse and even the Police even as what he has said could constitute threatening behaviour and harassment and I think think the teacher could be considered a threat to the children in the class.

Sort of abuse? I literally get every Monday some feminist teacher just 'educating' me on how superior females are etc. Just learn to joke about it with friends and laugh it off. At the end of the day, the teachers probably doing it to live with some problem.

If being a pig helps him, just let it be. It only becomes a problem if you actually believe its a problem. I have a feeling this "sexist" teacher is slightly exaggerated, but either way theres no point making a big deal out of something that isn't.

Like Wired said, it'll help you get 'thick' skinned and become more resistant to idiots that take out their pain on other people around them. And seriously, I guarantee wherever you go you're going to encounter people like this. No point just reporting them all to the police 24/7, just learn to not take them seriously, and just ignore them.
(edited 6 years ago)

I can't take you seriously. It all seems like the stereotypical sexist stuff "feminists" say men say. Nothing about the guy seems original
I can't take you seriously. It all seems like the stereotypical sexist stuff "feminists" say men say. Nothing about the guy seems original

Yeah I have a feeling its just some girl that's discovered they have a wide range of feminist retorts at their control and want to reinforce the idea of being "suppressed"
do what PQ said, record it and shame them on social media. also what type of school do you attend? private? comp? grammar?
Original post by Bham369
Say sexist **** back like:
"On train home guy rubs my bum. I grab hand, lift it in the air & say "has anyone lost a hand? I found this one on my arse!"

Hope they help :h:

Did you really do that? LOL
Original post by Grumbling
Sort of abuse? I literally get every Monday some feminist teacher just 'educating' me on how superior females are etc. Just learn to joke about it with friends and laugh it off. At the end of the day, the teachers probably doing it to live with some problem.

If being a pig helps him, just let it be. It only becomes a problem if you actually believe its a problem. I have a feeling this "sexist" teacher is slightly exaggerated, but either way theres no point making a big deal out of something that isn't.

Like Wired said, it'll help you get 'thick' skinned and become more resistant to idiots that take out their pain on other people around them. And seriously, I guarantee wherever you go you're going to encounter people like this. No point just reporting them all to the police 24/7, just learn to not take them seriously, and just ignore them.

There is no way in which it can be acceptable to promote violence between two groups of people. I think you'll find that hate speech is illegal in the UK so it very much is a potential criminal offence that OP's teacher is commiting. If your teacher is promoting violence between women and men then you should get the NSPCC or Police involved but you don't seem to suggest that its that serious.
You shouldn’t just let your teacher get away with murder. Maybe the situation isn’t as bad that you would need to go to the police. You should find out who is the employer of your principal (the municipal?) and contact that person. Just keep on informing other people about his behaviour.
Original post by Dalek1099
There is no way in which it can be acceptable to promote violence between two groups of people. I think you'll find that hate speech is illegal in the UK so it very much is a potential criminal offence that OP's teacher is commiting. If your teacher is promoting violence between women and men then you should get the NSPCC or Police involved but you don't seem to suggest that its that serious.

There was never any promotion of violence between genders. Never mentioned anything of the sort. I was basically just saying you will encounter people who have old / bad ideals, and if its not that serious, e.g. the occasional untargeted comment, you might aswell just ignore it and laugh it off with friends. No point causing more problems for yourself to fix a singular problem. e.g. You receive alienation because you involved police and caused mass disruption in school.
Original post by Grumbling
There was never any promotion of violence between genders. Never mentioned anything of the sort. I was basically just saying you will encounter people who have old / bad ideals, and if its not that serious, e.g. the occasional untargeted comment, you might aswell just ignore it and laugh it off with friends. No point causing more problems for yourself to fix a singular problem. e.g. You receive alienation because you involved police and caused mass disruption in school.

There was here.

he has even gone as far to say that women deserved to be raped and beaten up because we never know our place,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending