The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
My first thought is that i'm against women taking time off

but having never had a period myself perhaps i'm a bit ill qualified to say it can't be that bad? .... I do wonder.......

Some women would say it’s not that bad, but it differs for everyone. Though I’m sure most would agree that when it’s bad, it’s really bad and when it’s good, it’s as if you’re not even on your period. The worst thing is not knowing which one Mother Nature has chosen to bless you with that month
I feel you
What???? No cold ones??? What did you crack open with the boys????
I think it's definitely valid, not just period pain but periods in general (obviously not if it's just a normal period).

When I was 12/13 (now 15) I had absolutely horrendous periods that, on one occasion, made me actually pass out.
Course I was off school that day!

People (especially some women) who can't seem to take it seriously really really irritate me.
Luckily I'm ok now with them (usually) so don't need to take time off anymore.
My period pains are awful. Honestly, as someone that will die to have kids, I often ask God to stop this pain and I'll happily stop wanting kids... It is that bad.
Original post by ANM775
My first thought is that i'm against women taking time off

but having never had a period myself perhaps i'm a bit ill qualified to say it can't be that bad? .... I do wonder.......

It varies so much for me personally. Sometimes, it's just "ugh, another period" and I can get on with my day, sometimes I'll just need paracetamol and sometimes I'm in so much pain that I can't move.
Look at the **** us women have to go through! But yet the average UK "man" won't approach because it's the "hardest thing a man can ever do" And yes, to the guys asking period pains can hurt a lot. I know girls that have fainted and gone hospital, vomit because of the pain. Although mines haven't been that serve, I have missed school/uni because I could barely even walk.
I've felt like two people are playing tug of war on my uterus. A hot water bottle or cycling helps lower the pain.
Original post by cherryred90s

So period pain should be a valid reason for missing school and work?

No, still only in the most severe cases.
Professor of reproductive health at University College London, John Guillebaud, told Quartz that patients have described the cramping pain as "almost as bad as having a heart attack."

Research indicates a worrying discrepancy between how seriously women's pain is taken generally by doctors compared to men's. Men wait an average of 49 minutes before being treated for abdominal pain. For women, the wait is 65 minutes for the same symptoms.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/doctors-finally-confirm-your-period-12103914.amp

I've had pain so bad that I was unable to move for three quarters of an hour, but thankfully, I rarely have period pain nowadays and they're light. I also bled for 20 days which caused me fatigue and I believe I became seriously anaemic. A lady I work with today said she's been bleeding heavily for 15 days and she's wearing three pads at a time. She said it feels it's pouring out of her and she's feeling exhausted - she deserves time off! She's getting pain too. Her appointment was cancelled due to the bad weather and it's not easy for her to get appointments and organise them around her 40+ hour work week. I don't know why it's expected for women to work through that? You wouldn't expect someone to work if they were losing a lot of blood from anywhere else! Periods in general are manageable and workable but when you bleed for weeks, you become anaemic and lose a lot of blood as well as pain, it's justified to have some time off!

I have IBS and my mum always says to me that the pain that can bring is similar to the pain of bowel cancer and I totally accept that as fact - it can be agony!
Original post by the beer
No, still only in the most severe cases.

I don’t know how much more severe you want it if it’s already been compared to a heart attack
I don’t know how much more severe you want it if it’s already been compared to a heart attack

Don't start that nonsense again.
Original post by Good bloke
Don't start that nonsense again.

You again, In record time.

I didn’t start anything with you, nobody quoted you
Original post by hannxm
I've had pain so bad that I was unable to move for three quarters of an hour, but thankfully, I rarely have period pain nowadays and they're light. I also bled for 20 days which caused me fatigue and I believe I became seriously anaemic. A lady I work with today said she's been bleeding heavily for 15 days and she's wearing three pads at a time. She said it feels it's pouring out of her and she's feeling exhausted - she deserves time off! She's getting pain too. Her appointment was cancelled due to the bad weather and it's not easy for her to get appointments and organise them around her 40+ hour work week. I don't know why it's expected for women to work through that? You wouldn't expect someone to work if they were losing a lot of blood from anywhere else! Periods in general are manageable and workable but when you bleed for weeks, you become anaemic and lose a lot of blood as well as pain, it's justified to have some time off!

I have IBS and my mum always says to me that the pain that can bring is similar to the pain of bowel cancer and I totally accept that as fact - it can be agony!

Bleeding for 15 days?! Has she not seen a doctor?
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
Sounds like women need to woman up.

You men wouldn't last 2 minutes with the pain.
Professor of reproductive health at University College London, John Guillebaud, told Quartz that patients have described the cramping pain as "almost as bad as having a heart attack."

Research indicates a worrying discrepancy between how seriously women's pain is taken generally by doctors compared to men's. Men wait an average of 49 minutes before being treated for abdominal pain. For women, the wait is 65 minutes for the same symptoms.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/doctors-finally-confirm-your-period-12103914.amp

As a woman, while I don't doubt tht women should be allowed days off work/school for period pains, it would acc be counterproductive because it would justify a wage gap, put women behind in work and education and in general.
I think there needs to be a better system in place one which acc acknopwledges biological difference between men and women lol and work from there.
Bleeding for 15 days?! Has she not seen a doctor?

If you read what I wrote, I said she had an appointment lined up but it was cancelled due to the weather.

Yet "Some women would say it’s not that bad".

How long is a piece of string?
Original post by hannxm
If you read what I wrote, I said she had an appointment lined up but it was cancelled due to the weather.

Lol soz

Latest

Trending

Trending