The Student Room Group

Do I 'owe' my school as head boy?

I am expected to write up and memorise a speech to recite as part of our yr 13 leavers presentation half way throughbmy A-level exams.

I politely declined and to my surprise all the teachers got upset and even told me off... I got fed up so I at that point I pointed out I had done numerous speeches and organised many events so Im sorry if I put my exams ahead of them.

I didnt apply for school captain I got chosen, I didnt sign a contract what do I owe them?
It does seem a bit unfair of them to except you to do something - especially during the coming weeks - given you didn't apply for the job.

I understand your position right now - I was in the head student team in year 13 and they wanted us to completely change the school council system and take charge of it. Obviously we couldn't do that ourselves so we tried to get in touch with year group leaders to start up some communication with younger year - but to no avail so we just kind of distanced ourselves away from the idea :/

Do you not have any deputies that could help you out?
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
It does seem a bit unfair of them to except you to do something - especially during the coming weeks - given you didn't apply for the job.

I understand your position right now - I was in the head student team in year 13 and they wanted us to completely change the school council system and take charge of it. Obviously we couldn't do that ourselves so we tried to get in touch with year group leaders to start up some communication with younger year - but to no avail so we just kind of distanced ourselves away from the idea :/

Do you not have any deputies that could help you out?

Honestly I could not care less what they think, I dont need help I simply said im not doing it end of... I was curious though as to whether I am in the wrong.
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly I could not care less what they think, I dont need help I simply said im not doing it end of... I was curious though as to whether I am in the wrong.

nah **** em. they can find someone else
Reply 4
You are not the wrong at all, your exams are far more important then a speech at a school that you do not even attend anymore!
I am expected to write up and memorise a speech to recite as part of our yr 13 leavers presentation half way throughbmy A-level exams.

I politely declined and to my surprise all the teachers got upset and even told me off... I got fed up so I at that point I pointed out I had done numerous speeches and organised many events so Im sorry if I put my exams ahead of them.

I didnt apply for school captain I got chosen, I didnt sign a contract what do I owe them?

Did you have an option to decline when they selected you?

No, you don't owe them anything, it's not like there was an agreement made that you'd write a speech at the end of Year 13.

Alternatively, you could just get a generic template from the internet and personalise it
(edited 6 years ago)
There's hundreds of students bruh. They dont care as much as you do.
You chose to accept the role though, you would have had the opportunity to decline it.
You will/should have been told what all your responsibilities should be and thus should be fulfilling them-if you weren't aware of this then how come not? and then it wouldn't be fair.
Your school should understand you have exams though
"My fellow students,
At the time of being asked to write this speech, I was under a great deal of pressure from my own upcoming exams.
My first thoughts were to decline but then I remembered some very good advice I received from an airline once:
'Always put on your own oxygen mask before assisting others with theirs.'

This concludes my speech."

*mic drop*

You're welcome. :P
Reply 9
Original post by Johnathan94
"My fellow students,
At the time of being asked to write this speech, I was under a great deal of pressure from my own upcoming exams.
My first thoughts were to decline but then I remembered some very good advice I received from an airline once:
'Always put on your own oxygen mask before assisting others with theirs.'

This concludes my speech."

*mic drop*

You're welcome. :P

So ridiculously tempting, if only my parents would not attend! 😂

Don't think your are tbh. Are they still pressuring you to do it or have they dropped it?
Did you have the chance or ever attempt to decline the position?
Did you mention it on your UCAS form?
Did predecessors do the speech or is it a new thing?
You chose to accept the role, contract or no. It's not gonna be a lot of effort, you don't have to say anything magical just thank the teachers and staff for their efforts, make a few jokes and talk about how everyone has grown and will move on to new and exciting things but you hope you don't forget each other.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Don't think your are tbh. Are they still pressuring you to do it or have they dropped it?

Theyve let it go but words gone around the staff room and there appears to be a generally *****y attitude towards it
Original post by doodle_333
You chose to accept the role, contract or no. It's not gonna be a lot of effort, you don't have to say anything magical just thank the teachers and staff for their efforts, make a few jokes and talk about how everyone has grown and will move on to new and exciting things but you hope you don't forget each other.

Its head boy not exactly anythong important, its not like I am getting paid. I have done the school a service as a confident speaker... its not even mentioned in my personal statement.

I really dont see how I owe them any more of my time
Its head boy not exactly anythong important, its not like I am getting paid. I have done the school a service as a confident speaker... its not even mentioned in my personal statement.

I really dont see how I owe them any more of my time

You asked a question and I gave an answer.

You agreed to be head boy. The role of head boy is clear. It includes this speech. This isn't about what you are obligated to do but what the right thing to do is. You won't get far in life with your attitude of doing the bare minimum cos that's all you absolutely have to do.
You asked a question and I gave an answer.

You agreed to be head boy. The role of head boy is clear. It includes this speech. This isn't about what you are obligated to do but what the right thing to do is. You won't get far in life with your attitude of doing the bare minimum cos that's all you absolutely have to do.

Morality is subjective and working hard for yourself and those close to you is different than sucking up to teacher who have been mlre obstructive than helpful through school.
Some see it as ungrateful , I see it as reasonable.

But nothing against you thanks for your opinion
Morality is subjective and working hard for yourself and those close to you is different than sucking up to teacher who have been mlre obstructive than helpful through school.
Some see it as ungrateful , I see it as reasonable.

But nothing against you thanks for your opinion

Morality is especially subjective when you're a teenager attempting to intellectualise their way out of what is essentially just a very selfish decision. If you don't want to do it then don't but don't kid yourself you're 'morally justified'.
Morality is especially subjective when you're a teenager attempting to intellectualise their way out of what is essentially just a very selfish decision. If you don't want to do it then don't but don't kid yourself you're 'morally justified'.

Very selfish, you're speaking as if I am putting people in harms way to benefit myself... they have others that can do a speech.

Honestly there is no obligation than I need to uphold, I was elected without much choice, yes if I had begged they would have put me down but was that really a realistic choice?

Besides I have an A2 maths exam the day after this speech, do you truly think that I should be doing a speech the day before?

Honestly there is no obligation than I need to uphold, I was elected without much choice, yes if I had begged they would have changed their minds but was that really a realistic choice? I have performed numerous speeches, organised many events, given the school good rep in open days, etc... and the one time I say I would rather not what is their thanks? They treat it as if it is a governmental position or a job responsibility, its a ******** school social hierarchy that means absolutely nothing. So please do not play the' your a selfish kid' card because only ignorance brings you to that conclusion .

Besides I have an A2 maths exam the day after this speech, do you truly think that I should be doing a speech the day before???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending