The Student Room Group

Why do people stare at me when I close my eyes?

Why do people stare at me when I sleep or close my eyes if I have a headache or a panic attack or going through stress on public transport?

When I'm on the Tube or DLR, I always catch someone staring directly at me when I open my eyes, which leaves me confused and puzzled as to why they are staring at me. I could have asked them why but I was too in the moment to even ask.

I just wanted to get a general response, I understand I may never know the true answer unless I actually ask these people.

Scroll to see replies

Say if your face turns red or something other than closing your eyes happens, then they may be curious or might be watching you ready to help, if you faint or something. However, there are also people who are ready to nick stuff any given time...
Reply 2
Probably trying to figure out if you’re asleep.
Reply 3
They wonder why the **** has she closed her eyes
Reply 4
Original post by cat_mac
Probably trying to figure out if you’re asleep.

Why is it anyones business whether I'm sleeping or not though? Surely, they have their own worries.
Reply 5
Original post by neluxsan
Say if your face turns red or something other than closing your eyes happens, then they may be curious or might be watching you ready to help, if you faint or something. However, there are also people who are ready to nick stuff any given time...

I hardly carry any valuables except for my beats headphones on my head + how can anyone know I'm carrying a laptop in my bag.

I'm dark skinned so you can't really notice when I go red.
It's likely out of concern. They probably think you're unwell or might miss your stop by falling sleep.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SMEGGGY
They wonder why the **** has she closed her eyes

People sleep all the time on the train - I feel like it's a normal thing to do, especially when people are on their way back home from work.
Reply 8
Original post by Archosaur
People sleep all the time on the train - I feel like it's a normal thing to do, especially when people are on their way back home from work.

They could be potential serial killers, rapists who see you as a potential victi, or even opportunist thieves eyeing up your phone, ipod etc etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Archosaur
Why is it anyones business whether I'm sleeping or not though? Surely, they have their own worries.

People are naturally curious I guess. I always worry about people sleeping on public transport incase they miss their stop and have an internal debate on whether or not I should wake them up, as if I nodded off on the bus i’d want to be woken up asap!

Definitely not helpful when you’re having a panic attack though, I had one in city centre once and I was pretty much crouched down rocking myself trying to level my breathing and strangers asking “you alright pet?” wasn’t helpful. Their intentions are good though, same for those on public transport! Just one of those things you have to deal with.
I'm a run up, put that gun on 'em
People are trying to avoid eye contact with others. It’s easy to avoid eye contact with the person who has their eyes closed.
It could be a sign you're unwell.
Reply 13
Original post by Winner winner
People are trying to avoid eye contact with others. It’s easy to avoid eye contact with the person who has their eyes closed.

This is exactly what I initially thought. But sometimes this has happened when the DLR isn't even that full and so there are plenty of other places to look than directly into my face.
Reply 14
Original post by sinfonietta
It's likely out of concern. They probably think you're unwell or might miss your stop by falling sleep.

Possibly but I clearly wouldn't be asleep if I knew I would miss my stop.
Reply 15
Original post by Boss987
I'm a run up, put that gun on 'em

Right Ok?
Reply 16
Original post by SMEGGGY
They could be potential serial killers, rapists who see you as a potential victi, or even opportunist thieves eyeing up your phone, ipod etc etc.

That is true... it's not like I know these people, for all I know they could be murderers.
why does it bother you?
How do you know they're staring if your eyes are closed...?
Original post by yourgyalsmcm
why does it bother you?

lol but how do they know people are staring if his eyes are shut mate :s-smilie: how can he see when he's asleep..

muh****er's a wizard.

Quick Reply

Latest