The Student Room Group

Shall I do the CELTA? If so... would you recommend the full time CELTA or part time?

So, I've been pondering over whether I should do the CELTA for a couple of years now... I've always known that I'd want to travel and work or work somewhere other than London.

I'm currently in my last year of university, I also work 20 hours per week and I live with my family.

Part time CELTA consists of coming into classes three times a week and the course takes 12 weeks to complete.

If I do the part time CELTA... I would want to start this April and finish in July just in time for graduation - would it be manageable? I should be done with my dissertation and coursework in two weeks time and I've only got one exam remaining in June for my undergrad degree. This choice also allows me to work alongside my studies.

However, the full time CELTA consists of coming into classes five days a week and the course takes 4 weeks to complete. - I guess this would be more intense and since English is my first language, the full time CELTA would not give me enough time to cover all the grammar that I need to know - since English is my first language, grammar wasn't really taught to a high degree and neither did anyone really care when I was in school as long as spoken English was clear and coherent.

The full time CELTA would mean I would have to quit work since there isn't a choice of me going on unpaid leave.

SO, yeah I know there's a lot of information to take in but please can someone share their experiences of the CELTA and if I will be able to manage the part time CELTA alongside other priorities? And in general, how hard is it really?
Providing you don’t want to work in international schools or universities, then yes. The CELTA is generally well received by companies.
Reply 2
Original post by Birobertson
Providing you don’t want to work in international schools or universities, then yes. The CELTA is generally well received by companies.

I would like to travel abroad to teach English as a foreign language in schools though...
Original post by 1996girl
I would like to travel abroad to teach English as a foreign language in schools though...

Dispatch companies allow you to do this. You usually work in the school as something like an assistant language teacher. You’re employed by the company and not the school though.

Here’s an example:

https://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/

Edit: I forgot to mention - there are some direct hire scenarios, although how easy to come by they are I’m not sure. The ones in Japan usually require language skills and an already valid visa.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Birobertson
Dispatch companies allow you to do this. You usually work in the school as something like an assistant language teacher. You’re employed by the company and not the school though.

Here’s an example:

https://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/

Edit: I forgot to mention - there are some direct hire scenarios, although how easy to come by they are I’m not sure. The ones in Japan usually require language skills and an already valid visa.

I'm looking to apply in Saudi Arabia,I have cousins who are lecturers and teachers in princess Nora university. I was told to view jobs on Daves ESL Cafe after having done my CELTA.
Original post by 1996girl
I'm looking to apply in Saudi Arabia,I have cousins who are lecturers and teachers in princess Nora university. I was told to view jobs on Daves ESL Cafe after having done my CELTA.

I can’t help you with Saudia Arabia. My focus in the Far East.

Different areas will have different expectations of you.

The TESOL International Association features a lot of job postings from that region, if you’re interested.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest