The Student Room Group

Midwifery Vs Teaching

I'm really interested in both because I really want to help people. But I don't know which to pursue or to just do both like one for two decades and then the other for a while.
Both of those are great choices. Have you researched them both thoroughly, and best is to get work experience if you can in midwifery, not sure teaching will offer this.

Ask plenty of people who are in these professions to see if either will end up being better suited to you. Are you applying through University?

I think they are very different career paths so would you rather be more practical, what age range would you prefer to work with, what are working hours like, which do you prefer? All these sort of Qs are great to reflect on and think about to help you secure your decision. I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jasminenctang
Both of those are great choices. Have you researched them both thoroughly, and best is to get work experience if you can in midwifery, not sure teaching will offer this.

Ask plenty of people who are in these professions to see if either will end up being better suited to you. Are you applying through University?

I think they are very different career paths so would you rather be more practical, what age range would you prefer to work with, what are working hours like, which do you prefer? All these sort of Qs are great to reflect on and think about to help you secure your decision. I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Thanks. I prefer older students. I did a month work experience at a school in Derby but because they were younger they were very demanding. Not that I minded this and I did learn a lot about teaching and what I would need to improve on (mostly my confidence).
Unfortunately for midwifery, I can't volunteer on those wards until I'm eighteen which will be next year (I'm doing my A-levels).
I don't really mind the working hours or whatever - I'm pretty adaptable.
Reply 3
Original post by Em395
I'm really interested in both because I really want to help people. But I don't know which to pursue or to just do both like one for two decades and then the other for a while.

Which one do you see yourself doing in the long term?

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?

Work experience in both types of environments will help - That'll probs help your decision :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Em395
Thanks. I prefer older students. I did a month work experience at a school in Derby but because they were younger they were very demanding. Not that I minded this and I did learn a lot about teaching and what I would need to improve on (mostly my confidence).
Unfortunately for midwifery, I can't volunteer on those wards until I'm eighteen which will be next year (I'm doing my A-levels).
I don't really mind the working hours or whatever - I'm pretty adaptable.

Okay, your knowledge and research of both do sound great. Have you talked to other people to help you decide, parents, friends, teachers etc maybe? This will be very helpful.
Is there one out of the two you particularly see yourself doing in the future? Asking your friends can be a huge help as they know you and can give their honest opinions
Reply 6
Okay, your knowledge and research of both do sound great. Have you talked to other people to help you decide, parents, friends, teachers etc maybe? This will be very helpful.

My mother wants me to go into nursing because she sees it as a better profession but my grandmother quite likes the idea of me going into teaching like she did. So everyone's rather opinionated. My friends aren't that bothered as long as I do something with my life but I have spoken to some professionals and my teachers and they say that teaching's rather hard but others say that midwifery is too. So I don't know.
Reply 7
Original post by MKaur18
Which one do you see yourself doing in the long term?

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?

Work experience in both types of environments will help - That'll probs help your decision :smile:

Yeah I guess I see myself more in nursing but I really want to be a teacher too. Aah! :smile:
I will only be allowed on a maternity unit when I'm 18, but I guess I still have a while to decide yet. Well a year...
Original post by Em395
My mother wants me to go into nursing because she sees it as a better profession but my grandmother quite likes the idea of me going into teaching like she did. So everyone's rather opinionated. My friends aren't that bothered as long as I do something with my life but I have spoken to some professionals and my teachers and they say that teaching's rather hard but others say that midwifery is too. So I don't know.

I see. that's not much helpful at all aha! At the end of the day it is about you, so even if your family have other opinions, try asking them questions about midwifery or teaching and see what they think. This may help you or it may not. Just make sure you are not doing something just because someone said so. I assume you have already applied on UCAS? what courses have you chosen?
Reply 9
Original post by Em395
Yeah I guess I see myself more in nursing but I really want to be a teacher too. Aah! :smile:
I will only be allowed on a maternity unit when I'm 18, but I guess I still have a while to decide yet. Well a year...

I suggest doing whatever you feel you will enjoy. :smile:

Exactly! A year is a long time to change your mind. A lot can happen in a year. I completely changed my mind after doing work experience.

So it's good to find some! My friend is applying for Midwifery, after talking to some midwifes etc.. (Don't let university interviews put you off).
Reply 10
I see. that's not much helpful at all aha! At the end of the day it is about you, so even if your family have other opinions, try asking them questions about midwifery or teaching and see what they think. This may help you or it may not. Just make sure you are not doing something just because someone said so. I assume you have already applied on UCAS? what courses have you chosen?

Yeah, English Literature and nursing as well as sociology
Original post by Em395
Yeah, English Literature and nursing as well as sociology

Oh okay. So you actually didn't apply for midwifery through UCAS? I think nursing and midwifery are quite similar so if you prefer to work in hospitals or in typical healthcare environments, you should highly consider this profession. I mean, working in healthcare means you will also work alongside other healthcare professions and team work is vital. This sort of skills are not necessary used in teaching for instance. It's ultimately based on where you'd prefer to work and which you feel you would be most happy and comfortable doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending