The Student Room Group

Difficulty of A level Maths and Physics?

I'm at the current stage where I've been told to pick my options for A levels. I have gone with A level English literature, History and psychology.
I've really liked the idea of going into a STEM career however I found that my strong suits are in written based subjects, which I do like also.

For the past couple of weeks I've deemed myself not able to do both A level physics or maths as I don't excel at it like other students but thinking about it I realise that I'm not underperforming at my science based subject as I'm at the top set performing at the level of more able students whereas maths I'm in the higher sets but underperforming, I do understand the content but think I need practice answering test questions.

My questions are, How hard is physics and maths at A level? If I was to not slack off and pay attention would I be able to get high grades?
Also I'm considering to change all my subjects entirely depending on what I get in my results for GCSE, is that a good idea? If so what type of grades will be best?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mr_Robot
I'm at the current stage where I've been told to pick my options for A levels. I have gone with A level English literature, History and psychology.
I've really liked the idea of going into a STEM career however I found that my strong suits are in written based subjects, which I do like also.

For the past couple of weeks I've deemed myself not able to do both A level physics or maths as I don't excel at it like other students but thinking about it I realise that I'm not underperforming at my science based subject as I'm at the top set performing at the level of more able students whereas maths I'm in the higher sets but underperforming, I do understand the content but think I need practice answering test questions.

My questions are, How hard is physics and maths at A level? If I was to not slack off and pay attention would I be able to get high grades?
Also I'm considering to change all my subjects entirely depending on what I get in my results for GCSE, is that a good idea? If so what type of grades will be best?

Talk to teachers.
Find out if you can change if you get better results.
Maybe take 4 and drop one?

IMo take the ones you know you can get the best grades in and enjoy.
If you want to back yourself then thats up to you and thats the risk you take.

Quick Reply

Latest