The Student Room Group

Any Athiests who now believe in God?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
As you have just admitted that morality evolves socially, you cannot also claim divinely revealed objective morality.

We should evolve with the times, but we shouldn't lose the essence of our beliefs. In my opinion Christ sets the standard, but we have some degree of freedom in the ways in which we look at the scripture.

Of course morality evolves over time. But, the Bible provides the foundation for morality.
Reply 161
Original post by Golden State
the Bible provides the foundation for morality.
What did people do for morals before the Bible?
Original post by QE2
What did people do for morals before the Bible?

the same as after the bible. choose their own morals based on experience and interpretations.
Reply 163
Original post by Richard0328
the same as after the bible. choose their own morals based on experience and interpretations.
I know that. I was asking the person who claims that morality only comes from the Bible.
Original post by QE2
I know that. I was asking the person who claims that morality only comes from the Bible.

my question would be who wrote the bible. i am pretty sure it was written by human hands which undermines a lot of religious arguments including morality which is also man-made
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Our purpose, why we're here, what the end goal is etc, I'm not going to go into detail about it here though.

By the way when you tag me don't forget to include the space otherwise it tags someone else :wink:

Obviously I would prefer @Golden State to believe in Islam as that is what I feel is correct but each to their own and as long as he is happy and gets meaning and purpose from Christianity then I say to his religion him and to my religion me :smile:

Thank you for your kind words :smile:
Original post by QE2
Why not? It's absolutely the appropriate thread and there may be people who would be convinced by your answers.
Remember that as a Muslim, you are now obliged to give dawah to disbelievers.

Yes it is the appropriate thread but I'd rather keep it to myself, it's a personal thing. I'm not going to try and give dawah to those who have already heard it and rejected it conclusively.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Ha, I have listened to Chopra but only meditation on youtube. Dunno what his views are.

I can't really talk about evidence on here, it's personal but it was remarkable and nothing like I expected it to be because of the people who sell it to you.

I'm not saying the divinity of Christ is certain to me, but having seen what I have I now think it's entirely possible, and that interventions by god is mysterious. I also choose to go with a more firm belief in it because as I'm aware of god it seems more respectful if it is true somehow.

But I believe in evolution, and science, and not creationism.(Then again if you combine the quantum universe with God you have some unusual possibilities for how reality can vary and be malleable)

I don't see why it's meaningless to talk about order, I guess I mean moral order beyond us.

I have my own scientific views about the universe and space time, so I don't really accept the linear 'what came before to make nothing into something argument'. It's more like the universe just is, and space time is complex, time is not linear like we perceive it.

I see God as being in the infinite, that which is beyond us in the universe, like with the big crunch, the big bang, the singularity point.

As for why I believe that about Christ, because what I've seen relates to that symbolism.

I was on another thread trying to explain the exact same thing.

I can see how people come to a point where they reject the idea of God but once you go through those experiences where you truly encounter him it's almost like it all makes sense despite it not making sense at all. Life is not always perfect but there's a greater peace surrounding it.

I know if I wasn't a Christian I'd be a nihilist. When you really look at our existence and everything around us through the prism of atheism it all seems so pointless and meaningless, I just can't accept it. I'd rather commit philosophical suicide and believe in something greater. I've always felt that it's less of a question of is there something more/does God exist and more what's the nature of this higher being, which religion (if any) has got it right?

I know some people have proposed some theories but none of them seem to truly answer the question of how something came from nothing. At the end of the day, something must have just existed, with no beginning, no creation - just there. I personally think that's where the idea of God fits in.
Original post by QE2
That wasn't what I asked.

What you believe or don't believe is irrelevant. If Christianity as described in the Bible is true, then your god will subject NinjaSquirrel to an eternity of torture. How do you feel about that?

Me too. However, that somewhat makes a mockery of the idea of divine revelation.

It also means that your "objective morals" are actually "socially evolved morals" - which is what an atheists morals are. So you argument about morality fails.

Just to clarify not all Christians believe in eternal torture.

Technically Hell is "eternal separation from God".
I'm more inclined to believe that the people who don't believe will just stop existing.

I don't like it, and I don't think God does either and it does cause a lot of questions of why it is this way that I can't answer.

Just a point to say there are plenty of Christians who refute the idea that people who don't believe are going to burn for eternity or anything like that.

It'd be very difficult for me to imagine God as someone who would create a being knowing that the being would eventually be subjected to an eternity of pain.
Original post by Golden State
It's something that has troubled me tbh. Most of my family are non-Christian, Muslim to be specific. And personally, I wouldn't want any of my family members to be tortured for eternity, particularly my sisters. One's Muslim and the other one's an Atheist.

So, I hope this isn't the case regardless of what kind of God exists. I believe that God has plan for all of us, and that he doesn't want to torture people.

If he has a plan for us that kind of defeats the point of free will doesn't it?
Original post by Richard0328
my question would be who wrote the bible. i am pretty sure it was written by human hands which undermines a lot of religious arguments including morality which is also man-made

The bible was hand written but (as Christians believe) inspired by God.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 171
Original post by Robby2312
If he has a plan for us that kind of defeats the point of free will doesn't it?

Completely, but I don't think there is such a thing as free will anyway.
Original post by Racoon

philosophy textbooks are inspired by the original philosophers but the readings are only the authors interpretation of the original work.
my faculty is natural science anyway so I am going be to looking for empirical evidence to convince me of anything
Original post by Rlove95
Just to clarify not all Christians believe in eternal torture.

Technically Hell is "eternal separation from God".
I'm more inclined to believe that the people who don't believe will just stop existing.

I don't like it, and I don't think God does either and it does cause a lot of questions of why it is this way that I can't answer.

Just a point to say there are plenty of Christians who refute the idea that people who don't believe are going to burn for eternity or anything like that.

It'd be very difficult for me to imagine God as someone who would create a being knowing that the being would eventually be subjected to an eternity of pain.

Its only technically eternal separation from god since christians decided that burning in hell didn't sound very loving.In the bible though its very clear about the lake of burning sulphur and fire where there will be"weeping and gnashing of teeth".You can't just cherry pick which ideas you like in the bible.Either its all the word of god or none of it is.
Original post by Robby2312
Its only technically eternal separation from god since christians decided that burning in hell didn't sound very loving.In the bible though its very clear about the lake of burning sulphur and fire where there will be"weeping and gnashing of teeth".You can't just cherry pick which ideas you like in the bible.Either its all the word of god or none of it is.

Cool
Original post by Racoon

Is the evidence that the Bible was inspired by God to be found in the Bible itself?
Original post by Axiomasher
Is the evidence that the Bible was inspired by God to be found in the Bible itself?

That depends if you believe it is.

Have you read the bible, any of the gospels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending