The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madmadmax321
I am not disagreeing that period pains can be very painful, I am saying you are drawing conclusions from a article by bending what it says.

Heart attacks vary in pain a lot (as I imagine do period pains) so saying pain of a period = pain of a heart attack is meaningless as they dont quantify or say what heart attack pain they compare to and you have made several untrue statements throughout this thread saying things like 'The comparison is being made between painful periods and painful heart attacks' which is NOT what the article says at all

What did I bend? It literally states that ‘period pains can cause excruciating pain. In fact, they can be as painful as a heart attack.’ Most people would deduce from this statement that the comparison is being made between two states where there is excruciating pain present.

Like I said, what would you take from that statement?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by k.n.h.
She's talking about males.

She quoted me though?
Yet more research with an agenda to push.
A colleague had a heart attack. She described it as feeling like somebody parked a truck on her chest and was turning the steering wheel. She literally couldn't move.
I know periods can be very bad but I've never heard anyone describe it anything like that.
Original post by Just my opinion
A colleague had a heart attack. She described it as feeling like somebody parked a truck on her chest and was turning the steering wheel. She literally couldn't move.
I know periods can be very bad but I've never heard anyone describe it anything like that.

You have no idea.

But a painful cramp can feel like the same as what you’ve just described but in the abdominal area instead

Mine have left me unable to move.
Original post by JasmineWills
You have no idea.

Jasmine, I cut myself shaving yesterday and let me tell you my friend ,. you have no idea😱
Original post by cherryred90s
What did I bend? It literally states that ‘period pains can cause excruciating pain. In fact, they can be as painful as a heart attack.’ Most people would deduce from this statement that the comparison is being made between two states where there is excruciating pain present.

Like I said, what would you take from that statement?

See you've just bent in again in this quote, the professor (and article) does not say ‘period pains can cause excruciating pain. In fact, they can be as painful as a heart attack.’

what is said is - Professor of reproductive health at University College London, John Guillebaud, told Quartz that patients have described the cramping pain as "almost as bad as having a heart attack."

and the person writing the mirror article (so not the research and not what the professor said at all) is ' And, for the uninitiated, period pain can in fact be even more excruciating than many of us realise'

So you have just taken 2 pieces of a article, one of which is what the professor who conducted the research said (ie the important part with scientific backing) and a bit that the person at the mirror (who is not a scientist) who wrote the article said (the bit that isnt part of what the research is saying) and combining them to make it look like the research says something completely different when the research doesnt say anything along the lines that you said

Therefore it does not literally say what you said it does in the article, that is just you literally bending what the article says to make your own, false, conclusions on what the professor said
(edited 6 years ago)
Jasmine, I cut myself shaving yesterday and let me tell you my friend ,. you have no idea😱

yeh cos women never shave :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Can OP link actual research rather than statements ?
I am not doubting period pain can be that severe but it would be nice to see people link actual research on TSR rather than statements.
Original post by bobby147
Can OP link actual research rather than statements ?
I am not doubting period pain can be that severe but it would be nice to see people link actual research on TSR rather than statements.

What research do you want? There are conditions that cause chronic period pain.
Original post by Tiger Rag
What research do you want? There are conditions that cause chronic period pain.

Just in comparison of heart attack pain to period pain.I am just wondering how this was reached because I heard it is hard to compare different kinds of pain,so I am just interested in the methodology.
(edited 6 years ago)
See you've just bent in again in this quote, the professor (and article) does not say ‘period pains can cause excruciating pain. In fact, they can be as painful as a heart attack.’

what is said is - Professor of reproductive health at University College London, John Guillebaud, told Quartz that patients have described the cramping pain as "almost as bad as having a heart attack."

and the person writing the mirror article (so not the research and not what the professor said at all) is ' And, for the uninitiated, period pain can in fact be even more excruciating than many of us realise'

So you have just taken 2 pieces of a article, one of which is what the professor who conducted the research said (ie the important part with scientific backing) and a bit that the person at the mirror (who is not a scientist) who wrote the article said (the bit that isnt part of what the research is saying) and combining them to make it look like the research says something completely different when the research doesnt say anything along the lines that you said

Therefore it does not literally say what you said it does in the article, that is just you literally bending what the article says to make your own, false, conclusions on what the professor said

I don't think the person quoted in the article has done any research comparing period pains with heart attack pain.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't think the person quoted in the article has done any research comparing period pains with heart attack pain.

I agree what you're saying but I wasnt going to get into that as the person I was quoting cant even not misrepresent what the quote was saying let alone anything else like critically thinking about what was actually said

What does describing a pain as ‘almost as bad as having a heart attack’ translate to you? Seriously?!
You’ve already acknowledged that cramps can cause excruciating pain so what point are you trying to make? That because the professor (who is male) didn’t explicitly say it that it’s not true?
(edited 6 years ago)
I agree what you're saying but I wasnt going to get into that as the person I was quoting cant even not misrepresent what the quote was saying let alone anything else like critically thinking about what was actually said

Don’t insult me. Just because you struggle to even begin to comprehend how painful a cramp can be doesn’t mean you should start nitpicking at things that don’t matter. Most people on this thread have been able to identify what I thought was obvious so that’s enough for me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Why do some people have more painful periods though? Like biologically what causes it? Surely we should be figuring out how to stop excruciating period pain instead of giving people time off work to suffer? Doctors pls research this instead of just acknowledging that periods can hurt than k.
Original post by cat_mac
Why do some people have more painful periods though? Like biologically what causes it? Surely we should be figuring out how to stop excruciating period pain instead of giving people time off work to suffer? Doctors pls research this instead of just acknowledging that periods can hurt than k.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-biological-reason-that-menstrual-cramps-vary-so-much-in-intensity-from-one-month-to-another

Oooh thanks! They should teach this sh*t in schools.

Shoutout to the smooth muscle of my womb for contracting painlessly and without my knowledge.
Original post by Good bloke
I have. And I felt really dreadful, but had pretty well no actual pain.

How did it feel like?

Did you have any symptoms before the heart attack happened?

Latest

Trending

Trending