The Student Room Group

Preventing UTIs?

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop UTIs from coming back? I keep getting them every few weeks and it's so annoying and painful. I'm a virgin so they are not related to sex. My doctor gives me antibiotics, which help, but they keep coming back after a few weeks. I drink plenty of water and follow all the advice on the NHS website but nothing seems to work. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone have any advice on how to stop UTIs from coming back? I keep getting them every few weeks and it's so annoying and painful. I'm a virgin so they are not related to sex. My doctor gives me antibiotics, which help, but they keep coming back after a few weeks. I drink plenty of water and follow all the advice on the NHS website but nothing seems to work. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Might be worth talking to your GP about (regarding how often it's happening) cos that's really frequent for UTIs. Other than having super bad hygiene or having the odd bit of bad luck or unfortunate circumstances UTIs shouldn't really be an issue.
Reply 2
Original post by Kindred
Might be worth talking to your GP about (regarding how often it's happening) cos that's really frequent for UTIs. Other than having super bad hygiene or having the odd bit of bad luck or unfortunate circumstances UTIs shouldn't really be an issue.

Thanks for you reply. I wash once or twice a day so hopefully it's not due to bad hygiene. It used to be every few months that I had them but they seem to be getting more frequent. My doctor just puts them down to bad luck and gives me more antibiotics.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for you reply. I wash once or twice a day so hopefully it's not due to bad hygiene. It used to be every few months that I had them but they seem to be getting more frequent. My doctor just puts them down to bad luck and gives me more antibiotics.

What are you washing with? There is actually some risk in washing too often when it comes to your privates cos there's a natural balance which washing can throw off. You should also avoid using soaps down there- just water and maybe a little salt (like in your bath) is all you need.
stay hydrated
Reply 5
Original post by Kindred
What are you washing with? There is actually some risk in washing too often when it comes to your privates cos there's a natural balance which washing can throw off. You should also avoid using soaps down there- just water and maybe a little salt (like in your bath) is all you need.

I use femfresh or just water, never soap. I have tried washing every other day to see if it would make a difference but it didn't seem to so I went back to every day again.
Reply 6
Original post by mariejuana
stay hydrated

Thanks for your reply. I drink at least 2L a day, usually more.
Have you tried cranberry juice ?? I used to drink it when i got water infections and it really helps
Have you tried cranberry juice ??
Reply 9
Original post by Outtagum20021
Have you tried cranberry juice ??

I drink it sometimes but haven't tried regularly. I will try to see if it helps. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest