The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading nightlife?

I have firmed Reading as my choice for studying Business and Management and I was wondering what the nightlife/social life is like? I have read some comments on here saying it’s quite dead, that there’s not many clubs and not many students go out on the weekends. Maybe there’s more house parties than going out to clubs? Any insight would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by cwcw99
I have firmed Reading as my choice for studying Business and Management and I was wondering what the nightlife/social life is like? I have read some comments on here saying it’s quite dead, that there’s not many clubs and not many students go out on the weekends. Maybe there’s more house parties than going out to clubs? Any insight would be appreciated :smile:

Hi :smile:

That's great that you have chosen Reading as your firm choice!

Firstly, a lot of people think Reading is a city, where as it is actually a town. So, it does not have the variety of choice that a big city has. Therefore, there will always be mixed reviews for what something is like at university, this is partly because students come from different areas! If students come from London then they have been spoilt for choice of nightlife where they live. However, students from more rural areas find that Reading has so much choice! So, it depends where you live I think.

I come from a town so Reading was just a bit different to where I live but I find that there's enough choice! I don't go out too much now because I'm in third year. However, in first year me and my flat went out a couple of times a week.

Since, Reading is a campus university the students union is one of the biggest in the country. We have union club nights every Wednesday and Saturday. Most people enjoy this as the drinks aren't too expensive and it isn't far to walk to, especially if you live in halls on campus!
There are also other events on at the union such as the quiz and karaoke night and different comedians coming, so something for everyone if they don't like going clubbing! The town itself has quite a few clubs, pubs, nice bars and restaurants.

Each night of the week, there is a club night at one of the clubs in Reading, including the union. So, if you wanted to go out every night you could! I think most people's favourite night is Wednesday and Saturday at union just because it's easiest and is the biggest club!

Freshers week is also for two weeks where there is something on every night, so you can get a feel at what the night life is like! Freshers is a good time to go to the sport and societies fairs and try something new. A lot of these clubs have socials just at the bar on campus or a night out. I think it's nice that you don't just always go out with the same group of friends, you can go out with the club that you are part of too.

Overall, I think there are a lot of different options to choose from and hopefully you'll agree when you start in September!

Hope this helped!
Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Sophie
Final year Philosophy student :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hi there, I’ve also firmed my place for Business and Management at Reading! I hear the student union holds really good nights and the town is meant to be a pretty good night out..
Original post by harrybaker
Hi there, I’ve also firmed my place for Business and Management at Reading! I hear the student union holds really good nights and the town is meant to be a pretty good night out..

Hello :smile:

That's great news that you have firmed Reading - and best of luck in your exams!

You are quite right, the students union here are really good - they turn into a nightclub on Wednesdays and Saturdays (so are the biggest nightclub in Reading) where the whole of the bottom floor becomes 4 different rooms with different types of music. There is also quiz and karaoke nights on a Thursday and a comedy night on a Tuesday.

Town has multiple nightclubs, with student nights on different days - so plenty to choose from!

Any other questions then please do let us know!

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student

Quick Reply

Latest