The Student Room Group

Help 1!!1!1!!!

Is it possible to do a BA in Classics and Ancient History then an MA/MPhil in Egyptology, as most universities only offer it as an MA rather than a BA
Original post by egyptologyyy
Is it possible to do a BA in Classics and Ancient History then an MA/MPhil in Egyptology, as most universities only offer it as an MA rather than a BA

Yes, for example:

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/taught/egyptology-ma/overview/ (although you make have to enquire about this one)

or

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/mphil-egyptology?wssl=1 (Syllabus B)

I think UCL and Cambridge do similar courses, too. However, you can study some Egyptology at undergraduate level at a number of institutions, often in combination with Classics.
Original post by Edminzodo
Yes, for example:

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/taught/egyptology-ma/overview/ (although you make have to enquire about this one)

or

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/mphil-egyptology?wssl=1 (Syllabus B)

I think UCL and Cambridge do similar courses, too. However, you can study some Egyptology at undergraduate level at a number of institutions, often in combination with Classics.

Hello!

Thank you so much, however I have only found that 2 unis in Wales and Oxford and Liverpool that offer undergrad Egyptology, i have seen many other other institutions offer it as an MA/MPhil
Hello!

Thank you so much, however I have only found that 2 unis in Wales and Oxford and Liverpool that offer undergrad Egyptology, i have seen many other other institutions offer it as an MA/MPhil

Have you looked at UCL's Egyptian Archaeology course? Birmingham, Bristol and Durham (and possibly SOAS) also offer courses where you can take a lot of Egyptology.
Have you looked at UCL's Egyptian Archaeology course? Birmingham, Bristol and Durham (and possibly SOAS) also offer courses where you can take a lot of Egyptology.

I have looked at the Egyptian Archaeology course but wasnt totally satisfied by the modules. Just seems a nicer way to go about to get the BA in Classics then MA/MPhil Egyptology.
I have looked at the Egyptian Archaeology course but wasnt totally satisfied by the modules. Just seems a nicer way to go about to get the BA in Classics then MA/MPhil Egyptology.

Fair enough; be warned, however - if you are hoping to look at Egyptian language, your MA will be very intense as most undergraduate Egyptology degrees cover 4 languages.
Fair enough; be warned, however - if you are hoping to look at Egyptian language, your MA will be very intense as most undergraduate Egyptology degrees cover 4 languages.

Hello, thank you for the speedy responses you're so helpful

I'm not too bothered with the intensity of the learning as long as it is possible to learn the languages as I'm doing my masters, by doing BA Classics and MA/MPhil Egyptology i feel like ive really grasped the history of the ancient worlds so more work in my eyes just means more knowledge, if worst comes to worse, Liverpool is a fantastic university its just the fact I'm from a surrounding area that puts me off (lack of the whole uni experience etc.)
Hello, thank you for the speedy responses you're so helpful

I'm not too bothered with the intensity of the learning as long as it is possible to learn the languages as I'm doing my masters, by doing BA Classics and MA/MPhil Egyptology i feel like ive really grasped the history of the ancient worlds so more work in my eyes just means more knowledge, if worst comes to worse, Liverpool is a fantastic university its just the fact I'm from a surrounding area that puts me off (lack of the whole uni experience etc.)

Could you not live in halls in your first year? There are loads of students who commute in and they don't seem to have any less of a great experience than those on campus, anyhow. Plus, it's one of the best places in the world for Egyptology!
Could you not live in halls in your first year? There are loads of students who commute in and they don't seem to have any less of a great experience than those on campus, anyhow. Plus, it's one of the best places in the world for Egyptology!

Is it really one of the best places in the world for Egyptology? I'll speak to other teachers regarding their experience of going to a local uni, but i feel like if i go there ill be stuck here forever which I don't want. I'll definitely inquire to the university of Liverpool as regards to doing a BA Classics then Egyptology however. Thank you so much for the information !
Is it really one of the best places in the world for Egyptology? I'll speak to other teachers regarding their experience of going to a local uni, but i feel like if i go there ill be stuck here forever which I don't want. I'll definitely inquire to the university of Liverpool as regards to doing a BA Classics then Egyptology however. Thank you so much for the information !

It is, there are 6 members of staff and a huge module range. Get in touch with the admissions tutors for the department, they will be more than happy to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending