The Student Room Group

A Level French - freaking out!

The exams are so close, especially the speaking!! If anyone on here does A Level French could you please suggest any possible way that I can improve my grades because my teacher is actually awful and is failing the entire class. At the minute the majority of my class are getting Ds and Es and with exams so close I'm at a loss as to know how to actually revise. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by georgiaunlit
The exams are so close, especially the speaking!! If anyone on here does A Level French could you please suggest any possible way that I can improve my grades because my teacher is actually awful and is failing the entire class. At the minute the majority of my class are getting Ds and Es and with exams so close I'm at a loss as to know how to actually revise. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Hi! Sorry to hear about your bad teacher :frown:

What are you currently up to? Have you read/watched the pieces you're studying for the essays? Have you done your IRP?
Original post by sundae
Hi! Sorry to hear about your bad teacher :frown:

What are you currently up to? Have you read/watched the pieces you're studying for the essays? Have you done your IRP?

Currently making my way through my IRP, I've got my topic so I'm in the middle of my research. We've read the book (kinda, we read it on our own over the summer and my teacher briefly goes over it every now and then) and we've watched the film. I'm trying to keep on top of grammar but it is everyone's weak point because we haven't done a grammar lesson since last May!! :frown:
Reply 3
Currently making my way through my IRP, I've got my topic so I'm in the middle of my research. We've read the book (kinda, we read it on our own over the summer and my teacher briefly goes over it every now and then) and we've watched the film. I'm trying to keep on top of grammar but it is everyone's weak point because we haven't done a grammar lesson since last May!! :frown:

What film/book are you doing? There's some really good revision guides on Amazon for some of them that have really helped me (my essays were absolutely horrendous in the beginning :colondollar:)

Wow nothing since May? :s-smilie: Has anyone in your class asked your teacher to do some more grammar lessons? What could help is finding your exam board's specification. Usually there's a list of grammar terms that you expect you to know by the exam. You could find that and go through it like a checklist?

If your teacher is reluctant to teach your class grammar, or if he/she struggles to explain it well, then I'd recommend this book which, in my experience as a teacher (and a bit of a grammar fanatic!), is the best currently available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Grammar-Essential-Sixth-Beyond/dp/095706120X

I use it with my own students. It has the big advantage of being written with self-study in mind, so the answer section gives additional explanations in areas where you might have gone wrong.

Every student I know (whether I've taught them myself or not) who has actually gone and done every single exercise in this book has got an A*.
Original post by Anna Schoon
If your teacher is reluctant to teach your class grammar, or if he/she struggles to explain it well, then I'd recommend this book which, in my experience as a teacher (and a bit of a grammar fanatic!), is the best currently available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Grammar-Essential-Sixth-Beyond/dp/095706120X

I use it with my own students. It has the big advantage of being written with self-study in mind, so the answer section gives additional explanations in areas where you might have gone wrong.

Every student I know (whether I've taught them myself or not) who has actually gone and done every single exercise in this book has got an A*.

Wow ! That's impressive - I'm definitely going to have a look at that book:h: (I'm currently retaking the old spec AQA French A level) It would be wonderful if you have any other useful French resource recommendations !!
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Wow ! That's impressive - I'm definitely going to have a look at that book:h: (I'm currently retaking the old spec AQA French A level) It would be wonderful if you have any other useful French resource recommendations !!

A good set of verb tables is useful for reference; I like "501 French Verbs". https://www.amazon.co.uk/501-French-Verbs-Christopher-Kendris/dp/1438075200 . And seeing as you'll still be writing a language essay for the old spec AQA exam, Mot à Mot is useful for idiomatic phrases and topic-based vocabulary. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mot-Fifth-Advanced-French-Vocabulary/dp/1444110004

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending