The Student Room Group

I failed a module - What now?

Hi everyone,

I am in my third year of law and have recently failed a module.

I have in my previous modules in second and third year thus far got mostly 2:1s and firsts and this result has come as a complete shock.

I will be applying for TCs again this summer and was wondering have I blown my chances completely? I am predicted to graduate with a high 2:1 and maybe even a first class degree (which I am working towards) but I want to know honestly how much this fail will set me back.

My main targets are large international firms, MC etc and so I want an honest opinion of what firms will be realistic after this. I will resit and be capped at 40%.

Any advice is helpful, but I do not want sugarcoated stuff, I want to know the reality of what this means so I can start to prepare.

@J-SP @Perseverance

Do either of you have any suggestions?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
If this is the only blip in your academics, then it becomes less of an issue.

You don’t mention your first year results. What are they like?

They were pretty standard, two firsts, 1 2:1 and 3, 2:2s. Of course I know this is not ideal either, but I actually put so much effort in second year, I am predicted to get a first overall providing I put the effort in this last semester but Im just so demotivated as I dont think I stand a chance at the moment at even a reputable firm.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
One of the most important qualities in lawyers in learning from when things don’t go the way you want, and picking yourself up from them. You need to take this situation and let it fire you up, not demotivate you. If you let it demotivated you, you are screwed.

It’s impossible to say what your chances are. But I’m pretty certain that one capped module isn’t going to be the deciding factor, unless that module is highly relevant to the type of firms you are applying for (unlikely as most core modules are done in year 1 or 2). But even then, I can’t see it being an issue unless there are clear weaknesses in the rest of your application.

The combination of your 2.2s in your first year and the third this year could be more problematic. But it’s up to you to graduate with a strong 2.1 or First and try and make anyone viewing your application see that overall grade rather than the individual modules.

Thanks JSP!

In terms of applications as a whole, I will do my best to get that first class degree and hopefully that will make up for it, we shall see.

I am a realist and I know that my grades have not always been great albeit I may graduate with the best mark possible from a very good university, I want to know how do I make up for these weaknesses in other areas? I have one vac scheme at DLA Piper and 5 placements are small/medium sized firms, what else can I do from your opinion to make the grade downfall, not irrelevant but less important?
Reply 3
Original post by LAWYR
Hi everyone,

I have in my previous modules in second and third year thus far got mostly 2:1s and firsts and this result has come as a complete shock.

I will be applying for TCs again this summer and was wondering have I blown my chances completely? I am predicted to graduate with a high 2:1 and maybe even a first class degree (which I am working towards) but I want to know honestly how much this fail will set me back.

My main targets are large international firms, MC etc and so I want an honest opinion of what firms will be realistic after this. I will resit and be capped at 40%.

Any advice is helpful, but I do not want sugarcoated stuff, I want to know the reality of what this means so I can start to prepare.

@J-SP @Perseverance

I was speaking to Linklater's admissions at a law event and she said that blips are expected since people are not perfect. I can't speak for other MC firms but do call up their HR.
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
Just ensure firms won’t question other areas - your attention to detail, your drafting skills, your career motivation, your motivation for the firm etc.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!
Reply 5
Original post by 06moca1
I was speaking to Linklater's admissions at a law event and she said that blips are expected since people are not perfect. I can't speak for other MC firms but do call up their HR.

Hi thanks!

I am just a bit worried as 40% is a shocking mark and I dont know if they will really consider it a blip. I mean I can understand like 55% etc but I cant help but feel that 40% in one module probably has shot me in the foot.

I spoke to Linklaters at my law fair too!! They said similar. In fact the lady said they are more concerned with the overall degree as this is what shows your "true academic" ability, but I feel she was just being nice LOL
Reply 6
Original post by LAWYR
Hi thanks!

I am just a bit worried as 40% is a shocking mark and I dont know if they will really consider it a blip. I mean I can understand like 55% etc but I cant help but feel that 40% in one module probably has shot me in the foot.

I spoke to Linklaters at my law fair too!! They said similar. In fact the lady said they are more concerned with the overall degree as this is what shows your "true academic" ability, but I feel she was just being nice LOL

True academic ability is subjective for all law firms. For example, Allen and Overy don't care about A level if you have an amazing degree. Linklaters however, they will look at whether you went to a poor performing school and how you rank.
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
The only one talking yourself out of this is you. People don’t say things to be nice - it’s not in there interest to get loads of wasteful applications.

From my view, the 40% is a blip if you have all 2.1s and 1sts. The issue is with you that isn’t necessarily the case due to your first year results.

Does it still get looked at "favourably" if I have shown that I have improved? I know I am hugely overthinking this, as grades only account for a small part of the application, but I am just slightly concerned. Although, not to say this is anyones fault but my own.
Reply 8
Original post by 06moca1
True academic ability is subjective for all law firms. For example, Allen and Overy don't care about A level if you have an amazing degree. Linklaters however, they will look at whether you went to a poor performing school and how you rank.

To be honest, I may start looking at other firms too. I feel have spent so much time researching only MC and US firms, I have forgot other great firms exist outside this bracket.

Have you/are you currently applying for TCs/VS?
Original post by LAWYR
Hi everyone,

@J-SP @Perseverance

It looks like your question has been answered, but yes, together with the three 2:2s in your first year, it's not great. That said, I've seen worse, and if you can get your first overall it becomes much less of an issue. Grades are just one part, so make sure you nail down your application form. Also consider casting your net wider - there are many large international law firms to apply to.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending