The Student Room Group

The US will become the biggest Oil producer by 2023

The International Energy Agency believes that the increase in US shale production will ensure that the nation becomes the largest producer of oil by 2023.

There are variables that need to fall into line to achieve this - oil prices hovering around the $70-80 per barrel mark for one - but as OPEC, Russia & other producers opted to cut production to raise prices then the IEA sees US output being revised upwards rather than down.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iea-oil/iea-sees-u-s-oil-output-surge-stealing-opec-share-in-next-five-years-idUSKBN1GH0YF?il=0

http://fortune.com/2018/01/19/us-saudi-arabia-russia-largest-oil-producer-2018/

Personally, I'd say anything that reduces the West's dependency on Middle Eastern oil has to be a positive step.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't disagree with you here per se [although i'd prefer to buy Russian than American] but to say the west is reliant on middle eastern oil and will be in any way freed is a bit wide of the mark in ones view. Namely because petrochemicals being an internationally traded commodity the price is thus out of a nations hands - this may help if Saudi threatened to turn off the taps but to be honest it would still be incredibly damaging to our economies regardless.

about 3 hours

" [although i'd prefer to buy Russian than American] " Why is that?

Original post by Tempest II
The International Energy Agency believes that the increase in US shale production will ensure that the nation becomes the largest producer of oil by 2023.

There are variables that need to fall into line to achieve this - oil prices hovering around the $70-80 per barrel mark for one - but as OPEC, Russia & other producers opted to cut production to raise prices then the IEA sees US output being revised upwards rather than down.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iea-oil/iea-sees-u-s-oil-output-surge-stealing-opec-share-in-next-five-years-idUSKBN1GH0YF?il=0

http://fortune.com/2018/01/19/us-saudi-arabia-russia-largest-oil-producer-2018/

Personally, I'd say anything that reduces the West's dependency on Middle Eastern oil has to be a positive step.

It’s interesting in a geo political sense as a reduction of reliance on less desirable nations can cause change in those nations due to drops in their revenues and also allow western countries to be stronger on their condemnation of the undesirable nations affairs such as Saudi or Russia
Reply 4
Original post by paul514
It’s interesting in a geo political sense as a reduction of reliance on less desirable nations can cause change in those nations due to drops in their revenues and also allow western countries to be stronger on their condemnation of the undesirable nations affairs such as Saudi or Russia

A bit promiscuous lumping Russia with Saudi wouldnt you say?
Original post by Napp
A bit promiscuous lumping Russia with Saudi wouldnt you say?

No, it’s an undesirable country.

I’ve seen your I love Russia threads recently so I know how you feel already.
Original post by paul514
No, it’s an undesirable country.

I’ve seen your I love Russia threads recently so I know how you feel already.

Why is Russia an undesirable country?

And is it really comparable to Saudi Arabia?
Original post by Stalin

Why is Russia not an undesirable country?

It’s clear why it is without me saying so as it’s the prevailing opinion
Original post by paul514
Why is Russia not an undesirable country?

You made the claim that Russia is an undesirable country - and therefore the burden of proof lies with you.

It’s clear why it is without me saying so as it’s the prevailing opinion

The prevailing opinion is that Western countries support more than 70% of the world's dictatorships, and have invaded more countries and overthrown more governments - whether legitimate or illegitimate - than any other country/alliance in the history of mankind.

By those metrics, the West - and particularly the U.S. - is undesirable, is it not?
Original post by Stalin
The prevailing opinion is that Western countries support more than 70% of the world's dictatorships, and have invaded more countries and overthrown more governments - whether legitimate or illegitimate - than any other country/alliance in the history of mankind.

By those metrics, the West - and particularly the U.S. - is undesirable, is it not?

If you’re not able to accept that’s prevailing opinion on Russia then I can’t be bothered having a discussion on it.

It will just be the same as every other Russia discussion on here and be pointless.
Original post by paul514
If you’re not able to accept that’s prevailing opinion on Russia then I can’t be bothered having a discussion on it.

It will just be the same as every other Russia discussion on here and be pointless.

You made the claim that Russia is an undesirable country without offering any evidence, let alone an argument, and not only do you expect others to agree with you, but you refuse you engage in a discussion if others do not accept your initial claim - which I will remind you again, you have yet support with an argument.

At least tell us why you believe that Russia is an undesirable country, otherwise it's clear that you are unable to think for yourself and simply regurgitate the 'prevailing opinion'.

Either that or you only discuss things with people who agree with you 100% of the time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Stalin
You made the claim that Russia is an undesirable country without offering any evidence, let alone an argument, and not only do you expect others to agree with you, but you refuse you engage in a discussion if others do not accept your initial claim - which I will remind you again, you have yet support with an argument.

At least tell us why you believe that Russia is an undesirable country, otherwise it's clear that you are unable to think for yourself and simply regurgitate the 'prevailing opinion'.

Either that or you only discuss things with people who agree with you 100% of the time.

I’m am unable to think for myself
I think USA will build a bastion around North America and less interfere with Europe, leaving it to deal with Russia (assuming it will still exist in its current state by 2023), Saudis and other oil suppliers. What possibly happen is that Intermarium might start work with USA instead of EU (assuming EU will still exist by 2023) but whatever...
China won't interfere with Europe seriously anyway.

Original post by Stalin

Actually it is worse. Saudi's at least dealt with their inner conflicts, while in Russia they are only starting...Not to mention SA is not a mafia state. I do really love Russia and it is painful for me to see it becoming like that (thanks Putin and his gang). Guess somebody in the future will unite Russia lands again.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by paul514
I’m am unable to think for myself

At least you're honest.
Original post by Stalin
You made the claim that Russia is an undesirable country without offering any evidence, .

What evidence do you want? Russian fighter jet incursions into UK airspace, Russian cyber attacks, Russian meddling in Western democracy, anexation of Crimean peninsula, continual build up of military forces, assasination of spys on UK soil. I wouldn't trust Russia an inch.
Original post by Chucke1992
Actually it is worse. Saudi's at least dealt with their inner conflicts, while in Russia they are only starting...

What do you mean by 'inner conflicts'? Are you referring to the inner workings of the government and the conflicts that exist within them in each country or the minorities that exist in each country?

Not to mention SA is not a mafia state.

You must never have watched the Godfather.....

Saudi Arabia is literally ruled by one family.

I do really love Russia and it is painful for me to see it becoming like that (thanks Putin and his gang).

Perhaps you would rather Russia revert back to the Yeltsin era?

Guess somebody in the future will unite Russia lands again.

Perhaps you missed what occurred in Georgia and Ukraine.
Original post by ByEeek
What evidence do you want? Russian fighter jet incursions into UK airspace, Russian cyber attacks, Russian meddling in Western democracy, anexation of Crimean peninsula, continual build up of military forces, assasination of spys on UK soil. I wouldn't trust Russia an inch.

My point exactly why state all the points when they are so well known.

For gods sake you didn’t even mention half of them and it’s enough already.
Original post by Stalin
What do you mean by 'inner conflicts'? Are you referring to the inner workings of the government and the conflicts that exist within them in each country or the minorities that exist in each country?

No, I am talking about internal political strife. Are you a russian? Sometimes it feels you are not...Though even in Russian there are multiple kinds of people. Some still believe that Russia has soviet capabilities, some that Putin is some kind of chess grossmeister. While we are truly at Nicolas II level now. Pre WW1 level.

Original post by Stalin
You must never have watched the Godfather.....Saudi Arabia is literally ruled by one family.

Except they are not using principles of prisoners and play more or less fair play. Not some kind of bandits from the street. Though they might be similar...Though russian government can do only two things - increase taxes, introduce taxes, stole pensions and money of people, and sell resource (oil, gas, forest to China). Not better than any african state. This is their level.

Original post by Stalin
Perhaps you would rather Russia revert back to the Yeltsin era?

You are talking as if there was only Yeltsin and Putin in Russia. Yeltsin should burn in hell, Gorbachev should be ready too though.
I would better return Stalin's time. Brezhnev was not too bad too but unlike the beginning of 20th century we are currently lacking really brilliant people

Original post by Stalin
Perhaps you missed what occurred in Georgia and Ukraine.

Putin failed with DNR and LNR. And Crimea. It could be much more better. Now he has no idea what to do with them. If you russian you can read a lot of sources about that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by paul514
My point exactly why state all the points when they are so well known.

For gods sake you didn’t even mention half of them and it’s enough already.

I know. I was bored waiting for my son to finish his swimming lesson.
Original post by ByEeek
What evidence do you want? Russian fighter jet incursions into UK airspace

Putin has stated on numerous occasions that this sort of provocation is a mere reaction to NATO's push eastward and destabilisation of Russia's sphere, which includes the orchestrated coup in Kiev, for example, as well as the arming of neo-Nazis in the country.

Russian cyber attacks

Every major country conducts cyber attacks on its rivals.

The American agencies were caught spying on European leaders a few years ago.

Russian meddling in Western democracy

The U.S. has meddled in countless elections in Russia.

anexation of Crimean peninsula

A reaction to the Western coup in Kiev aimed at turning Ukraine into a NATO member state instead of a buffer between NATO and Russia.

continual build up of military forces

Perhaps you are unaware of the recent increase in the U.S. defence budget - it was increased by $94B, which is more than Russia's entire budget for its armed forces. The U.S. budget now stands at more than $700B, while Russia's stands at $70B (bear in mind the budget fluctuates depending on what is needed and the price of oil, and therefore can drop, while the U.S. only increases).

Do you really expect a great power like Russia to neglect its armed forces when its rival outspends it by more than ten times?

assasination of spys on UK soil.

It's unfortunate, but they know the rules of the game.

I wouldn't trust Russia an inch.

It's strange that you side with team that turns countries - particularly Muslim countries - upside down, and continues probing Putin, instead of ironing out the issues, which, obviously, leads to a reaction from Russia, and the shock surprise from the West that someone in the world won't bend over and take it.

I would invite you to listen to the speech Putin made in Munich in 2007.

(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest