The Student Room Group

Have you ever been catfished?

I don't think i would be able to bare the pain...messaging someone you think is a possible partner and they end up being someone else. How did you cope?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think i would be able to bare the pain...messaging someone you think is a possible partner and they end up being someone else. How did you cope?

This is why I don't agree with online relationships.
I’ve catfished and I felt so bad about it :/
Original post by Jheinexx

Why did you catfish? If you don`t mind me asking ofcourse.
Original post by Rest in Pizza
Why did you catfish? If you don`t mind me asking ofcourse.

Because i was so bored and these other reasons i cant ever say
Reply 6
Because i was so bored and these other reasons i cant ever say

Is it because you're unattractive? Honestly i think ur so cruel for that.
Is it because you're unattractive? Honestly i think ur so cruel for that.

not really

How long did you catfish the person for? I used to do it on omegle but obviously that would end when the chat finished. Back then I kind of wished I was a boy so I'd try and see if I could pass for one. Bit weird when I think about it now though.
How long did you catfish the person for? I used to do it on omegle but obviously that would end when the chat finished. Back then I kind of wished I was a boy so I'd try and see if I could pass for one. Bit weird when I think about it now though.

Idk about 2 days to a week and ive done it multiple times. It was like 2 yrs ago tho. Id never do it again. Boys are much easier to catfish tbh. So if you did try as a boy, it wouldnt last cos girls know better

Nope! That's why I watch the tv show lol when it comes to online dating, you must must just speak on the phone, know it's the person, video chat and what not
I've never been* catfished (not that I know of, At least) but I can imagine how heartbreaking and humiliating it must be. Trusting someone only to find out later that they're not exactly who they say they are must be a really painful experience.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by swanqueen
i've never catfished (not that i know of, at least) but i can imagine how heartbreaking and humiliating it must be. Trusting someone only to find out later that they're not exactly who they say they are must be a really painful experience.

ommmmmggg!!! Its emma swan!!!!!
Reply 13
Idk about 2 days to a week and ive done it multiple times. It was like 2 yrs ago tho. Id never do it again. Boys are much easier to catfish tbh. So if you did try as a boy, it wouldnt last cos girls know better

That's odd behaviour.
Original post by gjd800
That's odd behaviour.

I’m not proud of it but whatever.
Original post by Sadflower
ommmmmggg!!! Its emma swan!!!!!

A OUAT fan on TSR! Yaaaasss! :smile:
Original post by gjd800
That's odd behaviour.

i heard ur not even michael collins
Reply 17
i heard ur not even michael collins

Pay no heed to those Huns.
I AM OBSESSED WITH THE SHOW! :frown: very sad its canceled, never missed an episode in my life!!
Original post by SwanQueen
A OUAT fan on TSR! Yaaaasss! :smile:
How to cope?

1 by realising that online relationships mean nothing till you've actually physically met and spent time with the person.

2 by realising that even if the person is not catfishing, that you are only getting a highly filtered version of the person. That people's self-image may be very different to what they actually are.

3 Profile photos. You will almost never been able to recognise anyone the first time you meet them from their profile photos. The only way you'll known it is them will be by meeting at a highly specific location - like within 2 metres. Assuming you're sensible and arrange to meet at a busy public location.

4 Not taking your life too seriously. Laugh at set-backs like being catfished.

5 Treating online dating like the sales game that it is. In this case you're selling yourself as a boyfriend / girlfriend / husband / wife. In most sales jobs you get more failures than successes. But it's the successes that make it all worthwhile.

Quick Reply

Latest