The Student Room Group

Bsc Biochemistry at Imperial vs Oxford?

I really need to know how the teaching quality between these 2 unis compare, the tuition fee is very expensive for internationals. Should I give it a go? Is it worth it?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eloquent45
Anyone?

How do the courses compare?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
How do the courses compare?

Yess.
Oxford of course!!! Imperial is dull and overrated.
Oxford
but neither
Anyone?

Oxford Brookes
Yess.

Yes what? The question didn’t require a yes or no answer!
Reply 7
Yes what? The question didn’t require a yes or no answer!

dude, i thought ure asking what was my question all about.. so ‘yes’, i was asking about the comparison between the two.
Reply 8
Original post by showaeski
Oxford
but neither

why is that
Reply 9
Original post by StarLinyx
Oxford of course!!! Imperial is dull and overrated.

Are you an oxonian, if u dont mind me asking
(edited 6 years ago)
dude, i thought ure asking what was my question all about.. so ‘yes’, i was asking about the comparison between the two.

Well you need to read my question then. No one is going to do your work for you or spoon feed you. Sit down and do it yourself. Good luck!
Well you need to read my question then. No one is going to do your work for you or spoon feed you. Sit down and do it yourself. Good luck!

chill omg😂 alright, sorry then.
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you an oxonian, if u dont mind me asking

Probably a sixth former who doesn't have the grades for either.

Choose Oxford. The course structure is identical, barely any optional modules until later on, a lot more chem and maths than normal, both have tutorials etc

What distinguishes it, is that it's cheaper. You can also easily do an MBiochem, where as Imperial don't offer a 4 year course
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Probably a sixth former who doesn't have the grades for either.

Choose Oxford. The course structure is identical, barely any optional modules until later on, a lot more chem and maths than normal, both have tutorials etc

What distinguishes it, is that it's cheaper. You can also easily do an MBiochem, where as Imperial don't offer a 4 year course

Thanks for the insight!
Oxford
but neither

Both good unis for the course but there's more to uni than reputation e.g. social life, nightlife, expenses.
Both good unis for the course but there's more to uni than reputation e.g. social life, nightlife, expenses.

Unfortunately (sadly), for internationals that’s one of the most significant factor we usually use to compare unis.
(edited 6 years ago)
It should be noted that Biochemistry at Oxford is a four-year course with a master's degree awarded at the end, i.e. MBiochem instead of Bsc :smile:

Have you checked their websites and had a look at the course structure and modules? To me they're quite different and I chose Oxford mainly because [1] it allows you to do a much longer and more complete final-year research project (the best part of the course!), and [2] tutorials are in smaller groups and more frequent, where you basically get to discuss areas of the subject with the world's leading experts (your tutors), although this also means that workload-wise Oxford >> Imperial, as you will need to write an essay before each tute.

Happy to answer any specific queries!

- an Oxford graduate with friends who did biochem at Imperial
Original post by randombiochemist
It should be noted that Biochemistry at Oxford is a four-year course with a master's degree awarded at the end, i.e. MBiochem instead of Bsc :smile:

Have you checked their websites and had a look at the course structure and modules? To me they're quite different and I chose Oxford mainly because [1] it allows you to do a much longer and more complete final-year research project (the best part of the course!), and [2] tutorials are in smaller groups and more frequent, where you basically get to discuss areas of the subject with the world's leading experts (your tutors), although this also means that workload-wise Oxford >> Imperial, as you will need to write an essay before each tute.

Happy to answer any specific queries!

- an Oxford graduate with friends who did biochem at Imperial

Hello @randombiochemist , I think you’re very experienced in this field. I have one more question, what are you doing now out of curiosity? What do you think about the prospect for Biochemistry vs Biological Sciences undergrads?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello @randombiochemist , I think you’re very experienced in this field. I have one more question, what are you doing now out of curiosity? What do you think about the prospect for Biochemistry vs Biological Sciences undergrads?

Hi! I've stayed on to do a DPhil and am halfway through the programme :smile: Regarding career prospects, depends on what you'd like to do really.. Two of the most common paths for biochemists appear to be academia and industry (particularly pharma), although quite a few people I know have gone into other sectors with varying degrees of relatedness to science (law, consulting, graduate entry medicine, management, finance, etc.). My biologist friends from uni seem to be currently doing an even broader range of things - PhD studies, science policy, and marine conservation, to list a few - and all seem happy with what they do.

..What I mean to convey is that, with either degree (especially from a respectable institution like Oxbridge/Imperial) there'll be lots of options open to you in terms of career path. I'd say choose whichever that you'd most enjoy studying (and eventually working in), e.g. Biochemistry if you're more into metabolic pathways / molecular mechanisms of cells / how gene mutations and protein dysfunction cause disease, and Biological Sciences if you'd like to learn about less of that and more of evolution / ecology / animal behaviour etc.?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by randombiochemist
Hi! I've stayed on to do a DPhil and am halfway through the programme :smile: Regarding career prospects, depends on what you'd like to do really.. Two of the most common paths for biochemists appear to be academia and industry (particularly pharma), although quite a few people I know have gone into other sectors with varying degrees of relatedness to science (law, consulting, graduate entry medicine, management, finance, etc.). My biologist friends from uni seem to be currently doing an even broader range of things - PhD studies, science policy, and marine conservation, to list a few - and all seem happy with what they do.

..What I mean to convey is that, with either degree (especially from a respectable institution like Oxbridge/Imperial) there'll be lots of options open to you in terms of career path. I'd say choose whichever that you'd most enjoy studying (and eventually working in), e.g. Biochemistry if you're more into metabolic pathways / molecular mechanisms of cells / how gene mutations and protein dysfunction cause disease, and Biological Sciences if you'd like to learn about less of that and more of evolution / ecology / animal behaviour etc.?

Thank you very much for the insight! :smile: Appreciate it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending