The Student Room Group

Who are smarter? Canadians vs Americans

And why?

Go on with a healthy debate .
Neither. Countries don't define intellect unless its an ledc.
Original post by Esme6560

Gun control etc ect
Reply 3
Original post by Esme6560

There are slight differences in the mean value of IQ for different countries, so if we assume that IQ is a reliable form of determining Intelligence then there is a correct answer to the question.
USA will have more smart people in raw numbers
Canada will have more smart people per capita
Reply 5
The mean IQ is 98 and 99 for USA and Canada respectively according the source below. So if that source is valid then Canadians are smarter. (Assuming we take IQ being a reliable source of determining intelligence)

https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country
Original post by JoeeA
The mean IQ is 98 and 99 for USA and Canada respectively according the source below. So if that source is valid then Canadians are smarter. (Assuming we take IQ being a reliable source of determining intelligence)

https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country

People always say Brits are behind countries such as the US and Canada when it comes to average intelligence, and yet the average IQ in the UK is 100!
Original post by Alexty28
People always say Brits are behind countries such as the US and Canada when it comes to average intelligence, and yet the average IQ in the UK is 100!

And Italy has the highest in Europe
Original post by xobeauty
And why?

Go on with a healthy debate .

Define smart.

Define Americans.

Define Canadians.
Original post by uberteknik
Define smart.

Define Americans.

Define Canadians.

You must be fun at parties
Reply 10
Both
Neither
Both and neither
Neither both nor neither
Original post by TheFarmerLad
You must be fun at parties

Define fun.

Define parties.
neither, both have their fair share of intellects and idiots.

I've literally never in my entire life heard anyone describe Americans as being smarter than Brits.

USA have the dumb ignorant stereotype.
Original post by ChickenMadness
USA have the dumb ignorant stereotype.

People always say Brits are behind countries such as the US and Canada when it comes to average intelligence

Two of my favourite anecdotes, both are true:

1) While watching a performance of The Merchant of Venice at The Theatre Royal in Brighton, Mr Dustin Hoffman played Shylock, which drew in a reasonable number of American tourists. During the half-time break, one of the Americans in the group sitting directly behind me and referencing the heroine, Portia, asked in a drawling New York accent, "Why did they name their daughter after a German automobile?"

2) On holiday in France and during a guided tour of a champagne house in Reims, on reaching the ancient casks in the cellars, another American with a Texas accent inquisitively asked the tour guide, "How do you make the barrels look like real wood?"

Absolutely true !
(edited 6 years ago)
My bet is on American they have too many Nobel prizes

Quick Reply

Latest