The Student Room Group

'FAILURE' - 2018 Architecture Applicant

Hi all.

(IF YOU WANT TO READ THE SUMMARY OF WHAT I'M TRYNA SAY, JUST SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM, IT'LL PROBABLY SAVE YOU TONS OF TIME)

I just wanted to help anybody who is struggling or is unsure about whether they'll be able to do great things in future. Or perhaps, you're applying for Architecture or something similar and you don't know how you're going to cope.

Now, imma put my grades here for everyone to see T-T

GCSEs: 2016
Maths: A*
Further Maths: B
Core Science: A
Additional Science: A*
Further Additional Science: A
English Literature: A
English Language: A
Geography: B
Drama: C
Art (Graphics): C
Religious Studies: B
ICT: Distinction

A real mix as you can see...

Now bear in mind I'm a person who had always gotten the equivalent of straight As in primary school and KS3. I don't really know what happened between then and now but anyways, here's the next lot.

AS Results: 2017
Maths: D
Economics: B
Product Design: B

Till this day, I can't even explain why I chose these subjects knowing full well that Architecture was where I was headed......

As you can see, they are quite the mix. And I ended up not doing that well. Now before anyone disagrees, this (personally) was a bit of a disappointment. The biggest heartbreak was my maths grade, not to be dramatic, but to be dramatic. Maths was that one subject I was like 'yeah, this is MY subject' and even if I hated everything else, I loved maths.

But that was the problem; I loved maths so much, I couldn't see that maths didn't love me in the end.

(EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GOOD AT SOMETHING NATURALLY, NOTHING COMES EASY AT A-LEVEL, OH NOOO)

Anywho, doing such 'irrelevant' subjects to my course of choice like the mentioned actually have helped a lot at A2 because at A2, I feel the barriers between subjects become eroded quite quickly. I feel like if I didn't do economics and geography, I would've been more naive as a person to the b.s. existing in our world today.

To add to all of this, my grades weren't that promising in terms of getting me into the top Universities that I wanted to apply to.

Some include:
- Cambridge (looooool, b**** you thought)
- Bath (I mean with that maths grade......BOIII IF Y-)
- UCL

I mean for Architecture, you're looking at the best of the best.

But you know, at this point, the only thing I had left to bring me up was my Personal Statement.

I know there's only so much you can say but here's the thing:
- It's PERSONAL and therefore
- You gotta say somethin' nobody else gon' say
- Imagine yourself as the tutor reading it - why would you accept YOU?
- I know for this particular subject, its hard cos half (probably 3 quarters) of architecture applicants haven't picked up a book on architecture and read it all lets be real - but say something related to your subject - a key word no one who doesn't do the subject will understand - this demonstrates at least some acknowledgement for a part of the subject area.
- Extra-curricular OMG I CAN'T STRESS - but the thing is, it doesn't have to be top roles at multinational companies, I literally worked at a construction site office and talked about how I knit, crochet and learn Korean in my spare time...don't stress...just incorporate anything you do to your course.....somehow.

Of course, you can just ignore everything I mentioned cos ngl, I only got accepted into 3/5 choices - but hey, it's an achievement for someone who picked such irrelevant subjects AND didn't get any As at AS level AND got a D in Maths at AS AND didn't take Art as an AS or A-level AND only got a C at GCSE Art.... just sayin'. (Btw, I can actually draw to a relatively good standard, I was just lazy.)

So, here are my predicted grades and my Offers thus far.

Predicted Grades: A-levels 2018
Geography: A
Economics:A
Product Design: A

(I was forced to drop maths to stay in my sixth form - but I really wanted to drop Economics....still do tbh lol....so yeah)

And here are my choices:

UCL: Drawing task Requested - Drawing task submitted - then REJECTION (*sob*......Sike! Never wanted to stay in London anyway :tongue: (That's what I tell myself from time to time))

Sheffield: Portfolio Submitted - then REJECTION (I was sad for a bit but I never visited the place so there was nothing to miss if you get my drift hence I overcame the trauma quickly....)

Loughborough: Portfolio Requested - Portfolio Submitted - Interview Invitation - Interview Attended - ACCEPTANCE :wink: (BOII I was so happy about this one cos I REALLY like Loughborough) AAB Conditional Offer

Manchester (School of Architecture): Portfolio Requested - Portfolio Submitted - Portfolio Requested Again cos some idiot didn't answer the questions properly - Portfolio Resubmitted - ACCEPTANCE (Wasn't expecting it after the mishap but hey I ain't complaining :wink:) AAA Conditional Offer

Edinburgh: Fee Status Form Requested (Cos I'm an EU National) - ACCEPTANCE (A bit weird that they didn't ask for my portfolio or an interview but this shows that the Personal Statement is a powerful thing) ABB Conditional Offer

-Closing Comment-
So yeah guys, despite how much you think you've set yourself up to fail, you CAN improve your situation and exceed expectations - just know what you want and learn from your mistakes!

Remember:
THIS yute picked the wrong AS subjects AND flopped her AS exams AND did badly in one of the most fundamental subjects facilitating her future degree at AS yet...She STILL managed to get offers from good Universities.

And ya know what?

So can YOU.
Original post by Frizzy876
Hi all.

(IF YOU WANT TO READ THE SUMMARY OF WHAT I'M TRYNA SAY, JUST SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM, IT'LL PROBABLY SAVE YOU TONS OF TIME)

I just wanted to help anybody who is struggling or is unsure about whether they'll be able to do great things in future. Or perhaps, you're applying for Architecture or something similar and you don't know how you're going to cope.

Now, imma put my grades here for everyone to see T-T

GCSEs: 2016
Maths: A*
Further Maths: B
Core Science: A
Additional Science: A*
Further Additional Science: A
English Literature: A
English Language: A
Drama: C
Art (Graphics): C
Religious Studies: B
ICT: Distinction

A real mix as you can see...

Now bear in mind I'm a person who had always gotten the equivalent of straight As in primary school and KS3. I don't really know what happened between then and now but anyways, here's the next lot.

AS Results: 2017
Maths: D
Economics: B
Product Design: B

Till this day, I can't even explain why I chose these subjects knowing full well that Architecture was where I was headed......

As you can see, they are quite the mix. And I ended up not doing that well. Now before anyone disagrees, this (personally) was a bit of a disappointment. The biggest heartbreak was my maths grade, not to be dramatic, but to be dramatic. Maths was that one subject I was like 'yeah, this is MY subject' and even if I hated everything else, I loved maths.

But that was the problem; I loved maths so much, I couldn't see that maths didn't love me in the end.

(EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GOOD AT SOMETHING NATURALLY, NOTHING COMES EASY AT A-LEVEL, OH NOOO)

Anywho, doing such 'irrelevant' subjects to my course of choice like the mentioned actually have helped a lot at A2 because at A2, I feel the barriers between subjects become eroded quite quickly. I feel like if I didn't do economics and geography, I would've been more naive as a person to the b.s. existing in our world today.

To add to all of this, my grades weren't that promising in terms of getting me into the top Universities that I wanted to apply to.

Some include:
- Cambridge (looooool, b**** you thought)
- Bath (I mean with that maths grade......BOIII IF Y-)
- UCL

I mean for Architecture, you're looking at the best of the best.

But you know, at this point, the only thing I had left to bring me up was my Personal Statement.

I know there's only so much you can say but here's the thing:
- It's PERSONAL and therefore
- You gotta say somethin' nobody else gon' say
- Imagine yourself as the tutor reading it - why would you accept YOU?
- I know for this particular subject, its hard cos half (probably 3 quarters) of architecture applicants haven't picked up a book on architecture and read it all lets be real - but say something related to your subject - a key word no one who doesn't do the subject will understand - this demonstrates at least some acknowledgement for a part of the subject area.
- Extra-curricular OMG I CAN'T STRESS - but the thing is, it doesn't have to be top roles at multinational companies, I literally worked at a construction site office and talked about how I knit, crochet and learn Korean in my spare time...don't stress...just incorporate anything you do to your course.....somehow.

Of course, you can just ignore everything I mentioned cos ngl, I only got accepted into 3/5 choices - but hey, it's an achievement for someone who picked such irrelevant subjects AND didn't get any As at AS level AND got a D in Maths at AS AND didn't take Art as an AS or A-level AND only got a C at GCSE Art.... just sayin'. (Btw, I can actually draw to a relatively good standard, I was just lazy.)

So, here are my predicted grades and my Offers thus far.

Predicted Grades: A-levels 2018
Geography: A
Economics:A
Product Design: A

(I was forced to drop maths to stay in my sixth form - but I really wanted to drop Economics....still do tbh lol....so yeah)

And here are my choices:

UCL: Drawing task Requested - Drawing task submitted - then REJECTION (*sob*......Sike! Never wanted to stay in London anyway :tongue: (That's what I tell myself from time to time))

Sheffield: Portfolio Submitted - then REJECTION (I was sad for a bit but I never visited the place so there was nothing to miss if you get my drift hence I overcame the trauma quickly....)

Loughborough: Portfolio Requested - Portfolio Submitted - Interview Invitation - Interview Attended - ACCEPTANCE :wink: (BOII I was so happy about this one cos I REALLY like Loughborough) AAB Conditional Offer

Manchester (School of Architecture): Portfolio Requested - Portfolio Submitted - Portfolio Requested Again cos some idiot didn't answer the questions properly - Portfolio Resubmitted - ACCEPTANCE (Wasn't expecting it after the mishap but hey I ain't complaining :wink:) AAA Conditional Offer

Edinburgh: Fee Status Form Requested (Cos I'm an EU National) - ACCEPTANCE (A bit weird that they didn't ask for my portfolio or an interview but this shows that the Personal Statement is a powerful thing) ABB Conditional Offer

-Closing Comment-
So yeah guys, despite how much you think you've set yourself up to fail, you CAN improve your situation and exceed expectations - just know what you want and learn from your mistakes!

Remember:
THIS yute picked the wrong AS subjects AND flopped her AS exams AND did badly in one of the most fundamental subjects facilitating her future degree at AS yet...She STILL managed to get offers from good Universities.

And ya know what?

So can YOU.

Really interesting post and great that you've shared your experience :smile:
Good luck with everything - hope all goes well.
Vicky
Congratulations! :woo:

Out of interest, where does Edinburgh rank as one of your options? I'm putting it as my insurance :biggrin: Also would you like to be added to the Edinburgh Architecture group chat? If so then feel free to PM me with your Facebook so I can add you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Amanzhol
Congratulations! :woo:

Out of interest, where does Edinburgh rank as one of your options? I'm putting it as my insurance :biggrin: Also would you like to be added to the Edinburgh Architecture group chat? If so then feel free to PM me with your Facebook so I can add you :smile:

Thank You :smile:

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't been to Edinburgh yet but it's likely right now that it'll be my insurance choice.
Reply 4
Original post by Loughborough University
Really interesting post and great that you've shared your experience :smile:
Good luck with everything - hope all goes well.
Vicky

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest