The Student Room Group

How to get a first in my dissertation?

I'm feeling kind of disheartened right now. For our dissertation our marks are broken down like:

- 15%: a literature review on our topic
- 15%: a "conference" poster presenting our work
- 70%: actual dissertation

So far I have 30% of my dissertation marks back and they were both graded a 2.1 (65%). I really want a 1st. I'm really frustrated because whenever I see my supervisor he gives me great feedback, tells me my dissertation is looking "strong", gives me a few minor improvements to make (usually simple things like the order of sentences, etc). So I make the improvements, submit the work and then he grades me a 2.1.

I'm also frustrated because for the poster we were shown a range of grades, and I meticulously studied the posters that had acheived high grades (I'm talking 85%+). Looking at my poster versus those posters and I cannot see where I'm going wrong. I even took it upon myself to teach myself how to use fancy statistics software and the other software that professional research papers use and followed professional guidelines to try and make my dissertation as professional as an undergrad can and I get a 2.1.

I have gotten firsts in all my other solo assignments including essays, literature reviews, lab reports, etc. So I don't understand where I am going wrong?

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to go from a 2.1 to a 1st?

P.S: I know that a 2.1 is still good and a lot of people would be happy with that but when you're consistently getting one grade and then suddenly you drop down a degree class and you don't know why it's frustrating.

Edit: I'm doing a Biomed degree by the way.
Original post by xoelisee
I'm feeling kind of disheartened right now. For our dissertation our marks are broken down like:

So far I have 30% of my dissertation marks back and they were both graded a 2.1 (65%). I really want a 1st. I'm really frustrated because whenever I see my supervisor he gives me great feedback, tells me my dissertation is looking "strong", gives me a few minor improvements to make (usually simple things like the order of sentences, etc). So I make the improvements, submit the work and then he grades me a 2.1.

I'm also frustrated because for the poster we were shown a range of grades, and I meticulously studied the posters that had acheived high grades (I'm talking 85%+). Looking at my poster versus those posters and I cannot see where I'm going wrong. I even took it upon myself to teach myself how to use fancy statistics software and the other software that professional research papers use and followed professional guidelines to try and make my dissertation as professional as an undergrad can and I get a 2.1.

I have gotten firsts in all my other solo assignments including essays, literature reviews, lab reports, etc. So I don't understand where I am going wrong?

P.S: I know that a 2.1 is still good and a lot of people would be happy with that but when you're consistently getting one grade and then suddenly you drop down a degree class and you don't know why it's frustrating.

You need to talk to your supervisor and get some feedback. No one can tell without looking at the actual work and even then grades are subjective. It usually happens that people are better at some things compared to others.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
You need to talk to your supervisor and get some feedback. No one can tell without looking at the actual work and even then grades are subjective. It usually happens that people are better at some things compared to others.

The thing is my supervisor gave me a first but my examiner gave me a 2.1 and I don't know who my examiner is. I think I'm going to book a meeting with her for next week and ask for her advice. Thank you.
The thing is my supervisor gave me a first but my examiner gave me a 2.1 and I don't know who my examiner is. I think I'm going to book a meeting with her for next week and ask for her advice. Thank you.

The examiner will also have provided feedback so your supervisor will be able to pass that on.
Have you looked at the markscheme for your diss? I was given a markscheme from the start which helped me with mine.
Best of luck!

I know my uni mark posters based on how you present them and are able to answer questions on it. that might be it?
Original post by tkoki1993
I know my uni mark posters based on how you present them and are able to answer questions on it. that might be it?

You can ask for a marking scheme. They will also probably assess how the poster is laid our, designed and how much and what info it contains.

Have you explicitly asked him what you would need to do to turn your 2:1 into a 1st? Be very clear about what you're aiming for :smile: Take in your previous marked worked and ask why it was given a 2:1 and not a 1st.

For some reason lecturers sometimes get a bit squeamish about this question but it is helpful to ask very clearly.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Have you explicitly asked him what you would need to do to turn your 2:1 into a 1st? Be very clear about what you're aiming for :smile: Take in your previous marked worked and ask why it was given a 2:1 and not a 1st.

For some reason lecturers sometimes get a bit squeamish about this question but it is helpful to ask very clearly.

I wasn’t allowed to ask that question. When I did I got the generalised response of “look at the markscheme and the examples in your school office”.
Original post by NMauger96
I wasn’t allowed to ask that question. When I did I got the generalised response of “look at the markscheme and the examples in your school office”.

?! That's not very helpful. Markschemes are usually pretty vague.

What uni are you at/did you go to? :holmes:
?! That's not very helpful. Markschemes are usually pretty vague.

What uni are you at/did you go to? :holmes:

The markscheme wasn’t too bad and we were able to submit a draft copy to get proper feedback from our supervisor (who was one of the two marking the diss). But they aren’t going to give improvements up to a 1st if the work submitted two weeks prior is of a 2:2 standing as that’s a bit suspicious

I’m currently at the University of Sussex
The markscheme wasn’t too bad and we were able to submit a draft copy to get proper feedback from our supervisor (who was one of the two marking the diss).

I still feel that markschemes are vague :beard: E.g., what counts as a good demonstration of understanding? how to markers evaluate this? Maybe you could get around the issue by asking them to explain the markscheme to you :lol:

But they aren’t going to give improvements up to a 1st if the work submitted two weeks prior is of a 2:2 standing as that’s a bit suspicious

If somebody gets a 2:2, speaks to their lecturer for clarity on how to get a 1st and subsequently then gets a 1st because now they actually understand what the marker is looking for, why would that be wrong or suspicious? :holmes:
If somebody gets a 2:2, speaks to their lecturer for clarity on how to get a 1st and subsequently then gets a 1st because now they actually understand what the marker is looking for, why would that be wrong or suspicious? :holmes:

We weren’t allowed to talk to our supervisors after Christmas as we had last semester to meet with them and email etc. They did this “to make it fair” as other supervisors may not have offered advice after this... so we were only allowed to submit a draft and see their feedback from this. Had I thought about it I could have asked last term what do they mean specifically in the markscheme but I hadn’t written anything other than my introduction by then (which she couldn’t have read or else she wouldn’t have been able to read the full thing - they can only read a draft once)
Reply 13
Have you looked at the markscheme for your diss? I was given a markscheme from the start which helped me with mine.
Best of luck!

I have, I think I need to be more critical in my discussion but the poster was on preliminary data so I wasn't very critical.

Original post by tkoki1993

We did get marks assigned for that, but I was able to answer all of the questions my examiner asked me so I don't understand why I have been marked down?

You can ask for a marking scheme. They will also probably assess how the poster is laid our, designed and how much and what info it contains.

I know we were told less is more, but I had example posters that were graded 80%+ and I used those as a template in terms of the quantity of information to include and the layout so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I think I'm going to book an appointment for next week and explicitly ask. In the mean time I'm going to scrutinise the mark scheme.

The examiner will also have provided feedback so your supervisor will be able to pass that on.

The examiner gave me feedback which I do agree with and I see where they are coming from, but it's in complete contradiction to what my supervisor told me to do? My supervisor said some of my data was quite innovative with clinical significance so to focus on it, so I did. Then the examiner has commented that that data should not have been given as much attention as it had been as it was not my original aim? So frustrating!

As I said before it is all subjective and yes different people will have different opinions. They have probably given you the average of the two marks. As I have also said you need to talk to your supervisor. Yes less is more for a poster but the info there should be enough and relevant. Good luck!

Definitely speak to your supervisor. TELL THEM you're aiming for a first! Then they'll be able to give you the specific advice to push yourself up to a first rather than just improve what you already have.

It is usually because other people set the bar higher. For example, if people got consistently low grades across the board, one which was above the average would achieve a higher grade than normal because the bar had been set low by other assignment entries.
I have, I think I need to be more critical in my discussion but the poster was on preliminary data so I wasn't very critical.

We did get marks assigned for that, but I was able to answer all of the questions my examiner asked me so I don't understand why I have been marked down?

I know we were told less is more, but I had example posters that were graded 80%+ and I used those as a template in terms of the quantity of information to include and the layout so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I think I'm going to book an appointment for next week and explicitly ask. In the mean time I'm going to scrutinise the mark scheme.

The examiner gave me feedback which I do agree with and I see where they are coming from, but it's in complete contradiction to what my supervisor told me to do? My supervisor said some of my data was quite innovative with clinical significance so to focus on it, so I did. Then the examiner has commented that that data should not have been given as much attention as it had been as it was not my original aim? So frustrating!

Oh wow - You're case is so much like mine.
I also do a biomed-type subject at uni.

I am currently doing a dissertation and my supervisor is not giving me any tangible help. They just nod their heads and say very well. I know this cannot help me because I have experience which shows me that to get good grades you need practical techniques which they do not teach in lectures.

I failed my research proposal for not giving eye-contact. But I spoke entirely from memory and did not use any flash cards. I passed second-time but with a grade far lower than those I got in first year.

I wonder why decent/target grades are so elusive.
(edited 3 months ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending