The Student Room Group

British National living in EU ( War pension )

Dear friends, I am a British National with a British Passport currently living in the EU with my parents. I have received conditional offers to my first 2 choices and I understand that I can apply for a loan to pay for my tuition fees. However as I am coming from the EU and have only lived in the UK when I was small , I cannot apply for a maintenance cost of living loan.

My family circumstances are as follows. We moved overseas when my father was medically discharged from HM Forces. We had to move overseas for climate and financial reasons as we could not afford to live in the UK on his pension. Following a long time in hospital he receives a War Pension and Unemployability ( unable to work , my mother cares for him ) supplement as part of his pension which is tax free. We also as a family receive Child tax credits for me as I am still in high school.

May I ask is it not possible due to our personal circumstances to apply for a maintenance loan ( I am not asking for anything for free ), to help pay the cost of my accomodation whilst studying in the UK. I have looked online and cannot find anyone with the expertise to answer this for me and I am sure that the experts here from student finance have the answer.

I thank you for your kind consideration and reply.

Jessica
May I ask if a member of the financial team can respond to my message as they have done to the messages posted after my post. Even just to say that it is a non starter or they don't know but will look into it would be wonderful.

Kind regards and thanks.
Jessica
Original post by Jessica Macc
May I ask if a member of the financial team can respond to my message as they have done to the messages posted after my post. Even just to say that it is a non starter or they don't know but will look into it would be wonderful.

Kind regards and thanks.
Jessica

Hi Jessica,

EU nationals (and their family members) have the right to reside in other EU member states. This means as a UK National you do not need to meet the 3 year residency criteria as long as you have been living in the EU (EEA) or Switzerland for at least 3 years and you are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the term of your course.

This enables you to be considered for full funding from your relevant award authority: Student Finance England / Student Finance Wales / Student Finance Northern Ireland / Student Awards Agency for Scotland. However, you must be resident in the territory that you were previously residing in before you left the UK to exercise the 'Right to Reside'. For example, if you were born in England and then resided in Spain for 3 years, you would apply to Student Finance England.

Important - If you hold a UK Passport or a UK Birth Certificate and have been living within the EEA/Switzerland, you must demonstrate that you have previously been 'settled' within the UK, gone to the EEA/Switzerland, and then returned to the UK. If you do not have 'settled' status within the UK you will be ineligible to receive student support as a 'Home' student, regardless if you hold a UK Passport or Birth Certificate.

Thanks

Catherine
Thanks Catherine for your lovely reply.

A few further details to clarify the current status.

I can confirm I was living in the UK prior to moving with my family as explained above.

I attended kindergarten and have proof of receiving child benefit and medical records to our home in England.

At the age of 4 we moved as mentioned above to Croatia. My mother is Croatian.

We moved as stated above for financial reasons and the Climate to assist my father's recuperation.

Croatia is a member of the EU and has been since 2013 and so as an EU member it does have EEA Status.

May I confirm that when I return to attend university in England I am eligible for both Student maintenance and tuition financial assistance. And may I ask at which point should I apply. I will be attending University starting October 2019.

Many kind regards and thanks for all your assistance.

Jessica
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jessica Macc
Thanks Catherine for your lovely reply.

A few further details to clarify the current status.

I can confirm I was living in the UK prior to moving with my family as explained above.

I attended kindergarten and have proof of receiving child benefit and medical records to our home in England.

At the age of 4 we moved as mentioned above to Croatia. My mother is Croatian.

We moved as stated above for financial reasons and the Climate to assist my father's recuperation.

Croatia is a member of the EU and has been since 2013 and so as an EU member it does have EEA Status.

May I confirm that when I return to attend university in England I am eligible for both Student maintenance and tuition financial assistance. And may I ask at which point should I apply. I will be attending University starting October 2019.

Many kind regards and thanks for all your assistance.

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

Yes, you can be assessed for fees and loan as long as you can provide evidence that you have lived in the UK at some point in your life, for courses that start in October 2019 you can apply this time next year.

Thanks

Catherine
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh my Lord, Thank you so very much indeed Catherine for your amazing response and immediate professionalism.

You have certainly brought a huge smile and a sigh of relief to my and my family's heart's.

God bless you and Thank you for all that you do.

Huge regards and hugs

Jessica
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending