The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
What??? Women were treated with disdain and you are trying to say that it never happened. Wow, ok.

But I've never claimed women have not been treated with disdain, by all means go back through the thread. It seems to me that you are struggling to support an assertion and so trying to deflect from it. My questions were valid and reasonable, either you can or cannot answer them. If you cannot answer them just say so, there's no shame in it.
Original post by queen-bee
Typo error,most women are down to earth and simple! *

Ok, i disagree.
Care to elaborate why you disagree?

The main reason for my disagreement is probably due to the fact that you've provided absolutely no sources of evidence for your emphatic assertions that "women are considerate and caring in general" and "women are all about love, care and compassion".
Original post by Axiomasher
But I've never claimed women have not been treated with disdain, by all means go back through the thread. It seems to me that you are struggling to support an assertion and so trying to deflect from it. My questions were valid and reasonable, either you can or cannot answer them. If you cannot answer them just say so, there's no shame in it.

What question? Ask the question here.
Original post by Chucke1992
To be precise they want equality only in those workplaces that (most of the time) related to some not very physical or exhausting activities that even can be enjoyable in a sense (so they often reference IT in that regard, but never mining and so on)

I agree. They want “equality” in high pay low risk employment like law, finance or consulting, but never mention the other jobs like construction, police and other types of not-so-glamorous roles.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
The main reason for my disagreement is probably due to the fact that you've provided absolutely no sources of evidence for your emphatic assertions that "women are considerate and caring in general" and "women are all about love, care and compassion".

What sources? I'm a woman myself and most women possesses those qualities listed above. Motherhood is a great example of women being caring. Women are nurturing and in most cases the primary caregiver. A woman's love is endless and endures all pain. And even when a woman Is hurting,we are still able to love. God bless women
I haven't read all the replies, so this is aimed at the original post. Firstly you sound a little immature, and secondly you've made some mega sweeping generalisations about women. Perhaps the women you're dating expect you to pay / do everything for them, the majority aren't like that - you need to widen your net! I'm in a long term relationship and we've always took it in turns to pay for meals / nights out.

There are always going to be differences though, we'll never truly achieve equality, that's biology.
To be precise they want equality only in those workplaces that (most of the time) related to some not very physical or exhausting activities that even can be enjoyable in a sense (so they often reference IT in that regard, but never mining and so on)

I'm sorry but women shouldn't be lifting heavy things if there's men around to do it. We aren't built the same way.
Original post by Wired_1800
I agree. They want “equality” in high pay low risk employment like law, finance or consulting, but never mention the other jobs like construction, police and other types of not-so-glamorous roles.

What a load of baloney! :biggrin: I work in the construction industry, And there are plenty of female police officers too.
What sources? I'm a woman myself and most women possesses those qualities listed above. Motherhood is a great example of women being caring. Women are nurturing and in most cases the primary caregiver. A woman's love is endless and endures all pain. And even when a woman Is hurting,we are still able to love. God bless women

All conjecture. Where is your evidence for all of this? Whatever you yourself might be, you can't speak for all women.
Original post by ThatOldGuy

In 1929, women were named legally 'persons' in Canada. So it was in law...

Your claim was that many people believed women were not people. You haven't demonstrated what you mean by 'many' nor how you come by that quantitative assertion. You have only identified a change in law in Canada - that says nothing about how many people believed what. Remember also that what is or is not law is not of itself evidence of what people more widely believed.
Original post by Azaelia
What a load of baloney! :biggrin: I work in the construction industry, And there are plenty of female police officers too.

But what about percentage? We are talking about equality here...

In soviet countries women worked equally with men when it was needed, the hell we even have even "Women in Russian Villages" poem, when women could stop horses and enter the burning buildings. The question is not about that.

Physical labor has always been male domain and as it is not considered "elite" work, equality fighters don't care about that. A lot of stuff is automated so it started to be quite convenient to fight for equality in places where no physical attribute is needed. Equality fight is more about some elite professions.

Anyway history repeats itself and I'll reference Glubb. The technologies changes but the patterns are the same.
An increase in the influence of women in public life has often been associated with national decline. The later Romans complained that, although Rome ruled the world, women ruled Rome. In the tenth century, a similar tendency was observable in the Arab Empire, the women demanding admission to the professions hitherto monopolised by men. ‘What,’ wrote the contemporary historian, Ibn Bessam, ‘have the professions of clerk, tax-collector or preacher to do with women? These occupations have always been limited to men alone.’ Many women practised law, while others obtained posts as university professors. There was an agitation for the appointment of female judges, which, however, does not appear to have succeeded.

Still with the advent of technologies I wonder how losses in wars will play.

All conjecture. Where is your evidence for all of this? Whatever you yourself might be, you can't speak for all women.

Aren't women on average more compassionate and polite. I remember JP said that so I presume that there might be some statistics
(edited 6 years ago)
Your claim was that many people believed women were not people. You haven't demonstrated what you mean by 'many' nor how you come by that quantitative assertion. You have only identified a change in law in Canada - that says nothing about how many people believed what. Remember also that what is or is not law is not of itself evidence of what people more widely believed.

... Right. So the fact that the law didn't accept women as 'persons' isn't evidence there were many who believed that.

Is this one of those, "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is." things? Because you know that's absurd. If that's the case, then I ask:
Please explain the definition of 'Many' as accepted by the majority of people. Remember that, like you, I do not accept authoritative bodies like 'Dictionaries' in the same way you don't accept authoritative bodies like 'Governments'.

I think you're being silly and placing the burden of proof far above what anybody can have, and you're doing it to avoid answering the question of whether murdering women was wrong when women were not considered persons, but go ahead. I'd love to see how you can answer your own question with the same level of burden of proof.
Aren't women on average more compassionate and polite. I remember JP said that so I presume that there might be some statistics

I'd be happy to look at any and all statistics, but where exactly are they?
Original post by ThatOldGuy
...I think you're being silly...

You made a simple and bold assertion about what many people believed which I asked you to demonstrate. You could not do so. Instead you have made reference to a legal change in Canada and called me names for good measure. Bad loser?
I'd be happy to look at any and all statistics, but where exactly are they?

I just googled a little and got this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3149680/

Our biological makeup should be enough.
But what about percentage? We are talking about equality here...

There would be more if companies weren't so worried about women leaving to have babies. When I was employed on a 6month rolling contract basis just a few years ago, I was actually told by my boss (who was female too), that she wouldn't permanently employ me or other young women because she was worried we could go off on maternity leave at any time.

Sexism in employment is rife.
You made a simple and bold assertion about what many people believed which I asked you to demonstrate. You could not do so. Instead you have made reference to a legal change in Canada and called me names for good measure. Bad loser?

Not at all. I referenced and showed that entire country governments did not grant the legality of personhood to half the population of the world and you said that you didn't accept that governments elected by majority vote passing laws based upon majority vote by those persons in the senate represent 'many'.

I simply pointed out that your rejection of my proof was silly and explained why, then countered by asking you to prove what your definition of 'many' is using your own burden of proof.

Then, when you obviously couldn't answer a question using the same burden of proof set by you, you decided to act all hurt.

Or maybe I misunderstand: Are you hurt that I asked you to fulfill your own burden of proof, or do you simply not understand the question?

I should also point out that you're still avoiding the question of whether those who murdered women prior to 1929 were wrong, given that women were not legally persons either. It's a simple tactic to try to derail a conversation when you know you're wrong, but I don't intend to let that lie.
(edited 6 years ago)
This post hurts my brain. I've never met a woman who thinks any of this and I certainly don't. I want equality in all aspects of life therefore that includes dating. You're either spending time around the wrong women or spending too much time looking at tumblr feminists who are idiotic teenagers who don't know better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending