The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Anyone studying History and/or Philosophy at Stirling?

Hi,

I have applied to Stirling for a joint history and philosophy degree and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about either course.

Are you enjoying them?
What is your timetable like?
Do you get to study much medieval or ancient history?
What is the parking like?

I am also a mature student and I wondered what the support was like? Is learning services helpful and approachable?

I was at a swap study skills session and came away with a positive impression.

Many Thanks
Original post by rosemadder
Hi,

I have applied to Stirling for a joint history and philosophy degree and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about either course.

Are you enjoying them?
What is your timetable like?
Do you get to study much medieval or ancient history?
What is the parking like?

I am also a mature student and I wondered what the support was like? Is learning services helpful and approachable?

I was at a swap study skills session and came away with a positive impression.

Many Thanks

were you at the swap skills day a couple of weeks ago?

i am doing philosophy as an elective and it isnt as much fun as you may expect. 2 lectures per week and 1 seminar each week
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
parking is a real issue at the university. it does cost you to park there but you can buy a permit which (i believe) drops the charge to £2 per day but it does not guarantee you a space. i only park there on friday afternoons. it is easier to park in causewayhead and endure a 10 minute walk. they will not address the issue because they are trying to discourage the use of cars as a mode of transport but for some of us it is the cheapest and easiest option. for others it is almost the only option.

i cant say anything about history but philosophy is interesting even though many of the lecturers are dull. the book they told us to use cost £111 on amazon so i strongly advise you to make use of the second hand book facebook page. i got it for £30 and it is in immaculate condition. failing that, use the bookshop located in the atrium. they have it for £50 brand new and are often cheaper for books including online shopping.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reason-Responsibility-Readings-Problems-Philosophy/dp/1305502442/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520291747&sr=8-1&keywords=reason+and+responsibility
https://www.facebook.com/groups/765656846812016/?ref=bookmarks
i would not buy any books until you have a reading list though. they might change it although that is a very recent edition so they will probably continue with it for now
Reply 3
Original post by Richard0328
were you at the swap skills day a couple of weeks ago?

i am doing philosophy as an elective and it isnt as much fun as you may expect. 2 lectures per week and 1 seminar each week

I was. Since applying I have kind of changed my mind about philosophy, am not sure I want to study for 4 years. I guess the fun part depends on how good the lecturer is 😊. Hows psychology going?
i was the psychology student for your Q&A session at the end of the study skills day

psychology is better than last semester but it is still hard for a lot of people, especially the lab reports which are annoying.

at the moment the strikes are still on and with the weather closing everything down last week, it is chaos. we got an email on sunday telling us not to bother attending sociology this week due to the lecturer being on strike. no-one else has told us whether the lectures are on or not so it is up to us to turn up and hope for the best. or not turn up if we do not wish to cross the picket line. i am going in for my philosophy seminar today but i am not waiting 4 hours for a lecture that may not take place. i have an essay to write for sociology so i want to work on that
Reply 5
the strike sounds complicated for students. ah, I remember you, I wondered at the time and meant to ask at the end but had to leave sharp. do you have a good overall positive impression of Stirling though?
the strike sounds complicated for students. ah, I remember you, I wondered at the time and meant to ask at the end but had to leave sharp. do you have a good overall positive impression of Stirling though?

i wont lie, there are issues but the student union does deal with them.

overall i do enjoy my time on campus but each department (or possibly faculty since i am in 3 of them) runs things their own way and there are big differences. for example, i can submit an essay late for psychology or sociology and self-certify for up to 7 days with my submission. they provide a cover sheet which has that option. philosophy does not provide a cover sheet or allow self-certification using this method. it must be done in advance which is not always possible.
philosophy and sociology provide classroom lessons which are great for clearing up things that you dont really understand but psychology does not and it is not very clear on how to get help with a topic in psychology.
i cant really give opinions on lectures between departments since that is down to individual lecturers. some are brilliant and very interactive, others just stand there talking at us (or himself in one case).
dont worry about coming in as a mature student and not knowing anyone. mature students tend to approach each other and stick together as a group so you wont be alone. contrary to what was said at the study skills day, although there is not an official society, there is a facebook page for us https://www.facebook.com/groups/SUMatureStudentsSociety/?ref=bookmarks
dont forget the swap pages:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/swapmentors/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/659298730939973/
there are subject specific pages too although i dont use them plus group chats through fb messenger. students do seem to help each other a lot and there are module reps (like me) who will represent you and talk to the department on your behalf.
Reply 7
thanks Richard, that's great info and really helps ease my mind
thanks Richard, that's great info and really helps ease my mind

get used to it. people are very friendly at uni and the mature students especially are very welcoming. we all faced the same anxieties that you are having now so we know exactly how you feel. where you are now is where i was this time last year when i went to the study skills day
Reply 9
Original post by Richard0328
get used to it. people are very friendly at uni and the mature students especially are very welcoming. we all faced the same anxieties that you are having now so we know exactly how you feel. where you are now is where i was this time last year when i went to the study skills day

That's all good to know, just firmed Stirling :smile:
That's all good to know, just firmed Stirling :smile:

congratulations
I may see you next Saturday if you are joining us for the applicants day. I am now an employee of the university. I get to wear a lime green t-shirt and answer questions from prospective students as I give you the tour.
congrats on job, and yes I'll be there next sat 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending