The Student Room Group

Shall I withdraw?

Hey everyone! I was planning on applying through extras but I have the slight issue of one of my Unis not replying, it's been almost 3 months, shall I withdraw? Also, if I withdraw, do I still have the chance to apply for extras?

Also, I think it should be known, if I did get the offer, I don't think I would've taken it
i got my offer from nottingham, a week before the cutoff, some unis use this as strategy to get you to accept.
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I got my offer from Nottingham, a week before the cutoff, some unis use this as strategy to get you to accept.

It's so annoying, I have called and I have emailed, I cant apply to extras until they reply ugh
Original post by Yvsrq
It's so annoying, I have called and I have emailed, I cant apply to extras until they reply ugh

sorry you didnt get any offers, thats rare considering apps are down again this year..

did you aim for high tariff with lower grades?
Reply 4
If you don’t think you’d take the offer then i’d withdraw and go for a course you want in extra.
(and yes you can use extra if you withdraw, you have to reject all five options to use it, whether by rejection or withdrawal doesn’t matter)
Reply 5
sorry you didnt get any offers, thats rare considering apps are down again this year..

did you aim for high tariff with lower grades?

No, i was above some of the requirements as well, it may have just been competition? I applied to radiography and dental therapy
Reply 6
Original post by cat_mac
If you don’t think you’d take the offer then i’d withdraw and go for a course you want in extra.
(and yes you can use extra if you withdraw, you have to reject all five options to use it, whether by rejection or withdrawal doesn’t matter)

oh okay, thanks doll x
Original post by Yvsrq
No, i was above some of the requirements as well, it may have just been competition? I applied to radiography and dental therapy

interesting, well even if u dont get the last offer or extra if you get great marks there is always clearing ! there will be people who miss so keep that in mind and stay motivated !
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
interesting, well even if u dont get the last offer or extra if you get great marks there is always clearing ! there will be people who miss so keep that in mind and stay motivated !

Thank you so much for the kind words darling! Hopefully i get into somewhere at least!
i got my offer from nottingham, a week before the cutoff, some unis use this as strategy to get you to accept.

What do you mean “the cutoff”

If all 5 of your choices decide before 31 March then you have until May to decide on a firm/insurance. If any one takes longer then they must all decide by early May and the deadline for applicants to reply is early June.

Places in Extra aren’t likely to run out between now and May. In fact some places are likely to be added if fewer applicants pick them as firm than expected.
Unis still have time before they have to respond to you so just be patient.
Original post by PQ
What do you mean “the cutoff”

If all 5 of your choices decide before 31 March then you have until May to decide on a firm/insurance. If any one takes longer then they must all decide by early May and the deadline for applicants to reply is early June.

Places in Extra aren’t likely to run out between now and May. In fact some places are likely to be added if fewer applicants pick them as firm than expected.

the cutoff an american term for due date, ie the final date that universities have to make decisions for that group of applicants.

Universities use this tactic so that you recieve their offer last and might accept it because you psychologically had to wait so long.......
the cutoff an american term for due date, ie the final date that universities have to make decisions for that group of applicants.

Universities use this tactic so that you recieve their offer last and might accept it because you psychologically had to wait so long.......

The deadline for universities to make decisions on applicants who applied before 15 January is 3rd May
The deadline for applicants who applied before the deadline to make decisions is:
2 May (for applicants with decisions from all 5 choices before 31 March)
7 June (for applicants who had one or more universities yet to decide on 1st April)
No applicant has less than a month to decide on their firm/insurance choices - nothing close to a week.

I can assure you that universities don't use "being inefficient" as a tactic to improve conversion. It's well known within the sector that a minority of applicants will prefer the university that responded first and that many will withdraw from universities that are slow to respond.
Original post by PQ
The deadline for universities to make decisions on applicants who applied before 15 January is 3rd May
The deadline for applicants who applied before the deadline to make decisions is:
2 May (for applicants with decisions from all 5 choices before 31 March)
7 June (for applicants who had one or more universities yet to decide on 1st April)

I can assure you that universities don't use "being inefficient" as a tactic to improve conversion. It's well known within the sector that a minority of applicants will prefer the university that responded first and that many will withdraw from universities that are slow to respond.

Then explain the reasoning of me getting my offer last year?

You can't...no offense, but there is no way possible that you can simply state and quantify the strategic aims of every university admissions tutor with the finality of the above statement.

Different universities utilize different strategies.

Further, i was simply giving OP hope through pointing to personal previous experience in the UCAS cycle, im not sure when you last applied to university, but mine was last cycle.
Then explain the reasoning of me getting my offer last year?

You can't...no offense, but there is no way possible that you can simply state and quantify the strategic aims of every university admissions tutor with the finality of the above statement.

Different universities utilize different strategies.

Further, i was simply giving OP hope through pointing to personal previous experience in the UCAS cycle, im not sure when you last applied to university, but mine was last cycle.

Whenever you received your final offer you would have had OVER a month to make your firm and insurance decisions https://www.ucas.com/ucas/events/find/cycle/2018/scheme/undergraduate/type/key-date. If you waited a long time for a decision then your university was either inefficient or had placed your application on hold as a marginal case. It's not a conversion tactic (in fact all of the evidence points the other way). You're right that a university *might* delay decisions because they think that it will improve conversion - but they'd be deluded and wouldn't do it more than once.

I work in university admissions and have done for over a decade. If you think you were given a week to decide on your firm and insurance choices then your memory of last year is not great.

And if you think scaring an applicant into thinking that a university is playing mind games with them and only going to give them a week to decide on their choices is helpful then you're really not thinking straight.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Whenever you received your final offer you would have had OVER a month to make your firm and insurance decisions https://www.ucas.com/ucas/events/find/cycle/2018/scheme/undergraduate/type/key-date. If you waited a long time for a decision then your university was either inefficient or had placed your application on hold as a marginal case. It's not a conversion tactic (in fact all of the evidence points the other way). You're right that a university *might* delay decisions because they think that it will improve conversion - but they'd be deluded and wouldn't do it more than once.

I work in university admissions and have done for over a decade. If you think you were given a week to decide on your firm and insurance choices then your memory of last year is not great.

And if you think scaring an applicant into thinking that a university is playing mind games with them and only going to give them a week to decide on their choices is helpful then you're really not thinking straight.

I just looked it up, i will tell you that i did apply late so the last time to respond was July 12th,

I recieved my final offer from Nottingham on July 5, 17:42 pm i jumped in joy at goodge street station London.

(my other four choices were far lower ranked and my insurance i had just visited and loathed)

So keeping that in mind maybe i was on a marginal hold, and just scraped in.

My only point was that we shouldnt call what could be possible, impossible.
I just looked it up, i will tell you that i did apply late so the last time to respond was July 12th,

I recieved my final offer from Nottingham on July 5, 17:42 pm i jumped in joy at goodge street station London.

(my other four choices were far lower ranked and my insurance i had just visited and loathed)

So keeping that in mind maybe i was on a marginal hold, and just scraped in.

My only point was that we shouldnt call what could be possible, impossible.

So July 5th offer would have put your decision date as 19 July. A fortnight. Not ideal but that's always a problem with late applications - they tend to get ignored or left (through inefficiency - staff are focusing on different things for the on time applicants).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending