The Student Room Group

Fashion University choice

Hello guys! I’ve just received my offers from all universities for which I’ve applied. Now I have to choose my first and second option and therefore I wanted to ask for your advice. My first option would be London College of Fashion. However, I am undecided between choosing University of Westminster or the University of Manchester. I applied for Fashion Buying and Merchandising for across all of them. So what do you say?:smile: thank u
Original post by Reea03
Hello guys! I’ve just received my offers from all universities for which I’ve applied. Now I have to choose my first and second option and therefore I wanted to ask for your advice. My first option would be London College of Fashion. However, I am undecided between choosing University of Westminster or the University of Manchester. I applied for Fashion Buying and Merchandising for across all of them. So what do you say?:smile: thank u

How do the courses compare?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
How do the courses compare?

Both of them offer a placement year and have similar courses. University of westminster is more keen on trend forecasting, promotion, which I enjoy more, while Manchester focuses on raw materials and garment technology. I am more inclined toward choosing Westminster. The only thing which is making me reconsider this option is that manchester is a highly ranked university while westminster is not although it is known for its fashion programmes. Even more, i thought about having a back up plan in case london is too expensive and i won’t be able to afford it, maybe Manchester is relatively cheaper.
Original post by Reea03
Both of them offer a placement year and have similar courses. University of westminster is more keen on trend forecasting, promotion, which I enjoy more, while Manchester focuses on raw materials and garment technology. I am more inclined toward choosing Westminster. The only thing which is making me reconsider this option is that manchester is a highly ranked university while westminster is not although it is known for its fashion programmes. Even more, i thought about having a back up plan in case london is too expensive and i won’t be able to afford it, maybe Manchester is relatively cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about ranking. If the uni is known for its fashion courses and has good links with industry and a better course for your interests that's the uni for you.
Original post by Reea03

Hi I have offers from London College of Fashion Bsc Fashion management and from Westminster for Fashion merchandise management and can't choose which to firm and insurance! Did you go to both open days?
Reply 5
Original post by star_2000
Hi I have offers from London College of Fashion Bsc Fashion management and from Westminster for Fashion merchandise management and can't choose which to firm and insurance! Did you go to both open days?

I did not go to any open day actually... i advise you to put lcf as firm and westminster as insurance :smile:
Original post by Reea03
I did not go to any open day actually... i advise you to put lcf as firm and westminster as insurance :smile:

That is what I was going to do at first but I went to both open days and prefer the Westminster campus and Uni feel so feel like it would be better for me.
Reply 7
Original post by star_2000
That is what I was going to do at first but I went to both open days and prefer the Westminster campus and Uni feel so feel like it would be better for me.

Oh... can you tell me more about the two open days? It would be really helpful maybe i will change my mind as well:smile:
]
Original post by Reea03
Oh... can you tell me more about the two open days? It would be really helpful maybe i will change my mind as well:smile:

At lcf the fashion business courses are located at a building in Holborn, the library is at Oxford St and the accomodations are all over London. I know the courses and opportunities are really good but i'm not sure about the student life.

Whereas at Westminster the campus is in Harrow with the library, accomodation and lecture room all on the same campus.The closest tube station is Northwick park which is 20mins from central London. The lecturers for Fashion Buying and Merchandising management were so friendly and there are 40 people on each course so everyone gets to know eachother.The timetable for first year is 3 days a week and there are lots of societies and events.

It is so hard choosing!!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest