The Student Room Group

Look what the Tory rats are up to now

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/06/voter-id-trials-risk-disenfranchising-vulnerable-people

They never fail to sicken me.

This should be a determined trench war and shame on 'Labour' traitors who support them.

I want this party finished.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/06/voter-id-trials-risk-disenfranchising-vulnerable-people

This should be a determined trench war and shame on 'Labour' traitors who support them.

This is a dreadful attempt to prevent voter fraud and would place Britain in the same digraceful category of pariah states that perpetrate similar injustices as Germany, Canada, Netherlands, Norway, and many US states. Truly shocking!
Reply 2
Nothing new.

Wait, what’s the issue here?

You think people shouldn’t bring ID to vote?
Original post by Davij038
Wait, what’s the issue here?

You think people shouldn’t bring ID to vote?

People who have problems and are vulnerable can be scared of bureaucracy, and unprepared.

It's layed out in the article.

There are hug numbers of struggling, stressed and mentally ill people who might miss their vote- calculated by the Tories who create such people.

I hate them.
Oh the humanity of forcing people to..... Register and get an ID to vote, Imagine if we lived in a world where other important things needed a card such as a drivers
license or a license to drink alcohol, If you fail to get a license do you know who is to blame? You, you have years to get something done, they also said there is other measures for those that cannot so please stop whining
compulsory voter ID is a good idea to protect the ballot, it may have certain unwanted side effects but just because there is a RISK of something, doesnt mean a VERY good idea should be dropped.

Also, if you don't have the competency to get ID because of learning difficulties or what ever , should you really be allowed to vote ? how will you evaluate what parties stand for if such simple tasks are beyond you
Significantly less of the increasing numbers of homeless will not vote under this scheme...**** off with your crap and personal slurs.

All your side has left.
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke
This is a dreadful attempt to prevent voter fraud and would place Britain in the same digraceful category of pariah states that perpetrate similar injustices as Germany, Canada, Netherlands, Norway, and many US states. Truly shocking!

Thing is a lot of places that require ID to vote also tend to have citizen ID cards in some shape or form. The UK doesn't since the Conservatives axed the whole scheme when they came to power in 2010. The only identity documents we have in the UK are driving licences (that not all the voting population is eligible to have) and passports (which cost over £70 and have a very complex application process). Why should we require citizens to pay £70 to cast a vote?
Original post by Dez
Why should we require citizens to pay £70 to cast a vote?

That is not what is proposed, and neither is it what those other bastions of suppression I mentioned do to ensure the ballot is safe. There really is no issue here.
Oh no! Requiring Id to vote, the horror.
People who have problems and are vulnerable can be scared of bureaucracy, and unprepared.

There are hug numbers of struggling, stressed and mentally ill people who might miss their vote- calculated by the Tories who create such people.

I hate them.

People who can’t handle bringing in ID with them shouldn’t have the responsibility to vote.

That’s not even including the number of rotten boroughs in Tower Hamlets and Bradford from illegals.
Being stressed or mentelly Ill has nothing to do with whether you have ID or not.

I hate them.

If you are scared of bureaucracy, how would you register to vote in the first place?

As for the homeless - who do you mean, exactly? People who are entirely homeless?

I hate them.

If you are "scared of bureaucracy" then that is your fault, the government have no need to ensure that you are not scared of filling out a form, if you cannot be a part of society why do you deserve the benefits of living in a society?

The article said that there would be other provisions for those that cannot easily get one so it seems perfectly fair.
Reply 15
That is not what is proposed, and neither is it what those other bastions of suppression I mentioned do to ensure the ballot is safe. There really is no issue here.

Well, if photo ID is required to vote, and the cheapest form of acceptable photo ID available to citizens costs £72, that means we're charging that much for people to vote. Simple logic really. It seems some of the trial areas might only require a utility bill, but there's really scant information about what the trials actually entail. If any areas require photo ID, then some people in that area are effectively being denied a vote unless they pay.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
Oh the humanity of forcing people to..... Register and get an ID to vote, Imagine if we lived in a world where other important things needed a card such as a drivers
license or a license to drink alcohol, If you fail to get a license do you know who is to blame? You, you have years to get something done, they also said there is other measures for those that cannot so please stop whining

Lefties want you to get a license for everything apart from voting, I wonder why that is?

😂😂😂
Original post by Dez
Simple logic really.

And your logic breaks down when you make the assumption that only a government-issued photo ID document will do. The article makes it clear this is not the case.
Original post by AperfectBalance

My disabled mother never had photo Id in her entire life. Why should she be denied the right to vote unless the gov pay for her to get photo id.
Reply 19
And your logic breaks down when you make the assumption that only a government-issued photo ID document will do. The article makes it clear this is not the case.

You must be reading a different article to the one OP posted then, all there is in that is some vague reference to "other options" which tells me nothing about what's actually gonna happen. As I said, scant information is making this tricky to asses. Whatever they choose though, some disenfranchisement is going to be inevitable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending