The Student Room Group

Girls in STEM

Why aren't a lot of girls going into STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) related study/work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InstituteAndFacultyofActuaries
Why aren't a lot of girls going into STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) related study/work?

Less encouragement in school? They may find the idea of "science" intimidating or felt like they didn't do well in school so that must mean they will not be able to achieve a science degree. I know some teachers make people feel like they're idiots which stays with them for life.

A lot of women don't seem to aim high. So many girls I know say how much they just want to become a hairdresser/make-up artist/beautician, which is fine if that's what they'll enjoy but I don't think all of them will and they're doing it because it's an easily achievable job. Maybe it's just not interesting to some women, particularly the girly girly type of women. I think sometimes women like to uphold that traditional view of women being mothers, housewives and looking glamorous all the time and if that's for them, then that's for them! I think the traditional views of women still stand in society but subtly and it makes women feel like the opportunities are not there for them.

There are other careers available that may be more appealing to women like child care or nursing. We need people to do other careers anyway - it wouldn't work if every female aimed for science careers, but I do wish for more women to aim higher and push themselves!
Original post by hannxm
Less encouragement in school? They may find the idea of "science" intimidating or felt like they didn't do well in school so that must mean they will not be able to achieve a science degree. I know some teachers make people feel like they're idiots which stays with them for life.

A lot of women don't seem to aim high. So many girls I know say how much they just want to become a hairdresser/make-up artist/beautician, which is fine if that's what they'll enjoy but I don't think all of them will and they're doing it because it's an easily achievable job. Maybe it's just not interesting to some women, particularly the girly girly type of women. I think sometimes women like to uphold that traditional view of women being mothers, housewives and looking glamorous all the time and if that's for them, then that's for them! I think the traditional views of women still stand in society but subtly and it makes women feel like the opportunities are not there for them.

There are other careers available that may be more appealing to women like child care or nursing. We need people to do other careers anyway - it wouldn't work if every female aimed for science careers, but I do wish for more women to aim higher and push themselves!

Do you think there is a way we can get more teachers on board to encourage students rather than making them feel it's not worthy of them? There's plenty of women who've had it all - from a family, career and more!
Do you think there is a way we can get more teachers on board to encourage students rather than making them feel it's not worthy of them? There's plenty of women who've had it all - from a family, career and more!

Teachers should receive a disciplinary if they ever say to a student that they're stupid or make them feel like they're not able. I've had teachers who would roll their eyes if you asked a question and would ignore the lower achievers.

That's another issue. I think women are still expected to be a mother, a housewife and also have a career! If men could take on more of the child care and house work, it may make things seem more achievable.
They prefer other subjects?
Original post by Goz Unlimited
They prefer other subjects?

This could be the case, but it may be because they aren't encouraged enough to think about other subject areas which are predominantly saturated with males
This could be the case, but it may be because they aren't encouraged enough to think about other subject areas which are predominantly saturated with males

You can't generalise like that. I was at a mixed school and it did not stop females taking science and maths. What about the lack of males taking English does anyone get bothered about that?
Original post by Muttley79
You can't generalise like that. I was at a mixed school and it did not stop females taking science and maths. What about the lack of males taking English does anyone get bothered about that?

We aren't generalising it is a known fact there isn't gender equality in STEM related subjects and that's what we're trying to do - get more women interested and pursue those careers.
Reply 8
I don’t think there is discouragement for females being in STEM fields, i think less decide to go into it simply because they don’t like it
We aren't generalising it is a known fact there isn't gender equality in STEM related subjects and that's what we're trying to do - get more women interested and pursue those careers.

So why is no-one working to get men into Humanities? Why do you feel there needs to be this focus and not one on men into humanites?
So why is no-one working to get men into Humanities? Why do you feel there needs to be this focus and not one on men into humanites?

So we're focusing on this because we want to promote a career as an actuary, and secondly as it's International Women's Day on Thursday 8 March - so we wanted to find out thoughts on the subject.

As for men in humanities, I'm sure their own professional body will have initiatives they run
Original post by HateOCR
I don’t think there is discouragement for females being in STEM fields, i think less decide to go into it simply because they don’t like it

Can you think of ways to make it more appealing if they don't like it?
So we're focusing on this because we want to promote a career as an actuary, and secondly as it's International Women's Day on Thursday 8 March - so we wanted to find out thoughts on the subject.

As for men in humanities, I'm sure their own professional body will have initiatives they run

You'll need more that ONE day a year to be Women's Day if you really want to make a difference.

I've never seen anything in the press about encouraging men to study other subjects.
You'll need more that ONE day a year to be Women's Day if you really want to make a difference.

I've never seen anything in the press about encouraging men to study other subjects.

That is true, it will take more than one day, but it's still slow and steady progress.

Do you believe that lack of encouragement is the main factor? Females outstrip males in subject areas: Medicine & Dentistry, Biological Sciences and Veterinary Science. Is this down to too much encouragement for females in those subject areas?
Can you think of ways to make it more appealing if they don't like it?

Im not a female so i don’t know how to make STEM subjects particularly appealing to females specifically but i would assume that job prospects, salaries, gender ratios in STEM subjects (and examples of females who took lead/advanced society) would definitely help.
Advertisements showing male and female engineers working together could also help in eliminating this idea that STEM is better suited or made for males.
Personally I think it’s mostly likely to do with personal preference. Males tend to be more systemising and females more empathising on the E/S quotient, systemisers will be able to do better at say physics, engineering and maths whereas empathisers will do better in biology and psychology (and of course many humanities and arts) and I see many females in the latter courses but not many in the former courses. (There are some cool theories about androgens on developing brains and extreme systemisers being related to autism which is a possible reason as to why males are more likely to be diagnosed but that’s a different fun discussion)

Of course you should also aim to make it feel more accommodating for anyone that might feel intimidated.

Edit: this is obviously not the be all and end all it’s just one more reason in the pool and should also be considered
(edited 6 years ago)
That is true, it will take more than one day, but it's still slow and steady progress.

I see no progress since I was at school myself many years ago now. Linear A levels will make it harder for girls again as will removing GCSE coursework.
Original post by hannxm

Are you from the 1950s? 'Women like to uphold that traditional view'? I have never met a woman like that in my life! Women do what they like, whether it's beauty, science, sport or being a housewife. It's a shame that there are women out there who feel like they don't have opportunity and will get pushed down- but we make our own opportunity in life. If someone's ever said to me that something isn't lady like or whatever, or that I'm not smart enough, do you know what I did? I didn't simper and meekly say 'oh yes I'm just a silly girl who is easily kept down by your criticisms', I proved them wrong, stood my ground and did what every single woman is capable of doing.

Why would something being intimidating stop a woman from doing something? You know whats intimidating- getting pregnant and raising a child. That's a lot more intimidating than a degree.

Also child care and nursing are not necessarily appealing to women. As a woman I can't think of jobs I'd rather do less!

I'm currently a student in a STEM subject and I hate it. I don't think aiming high means landing a job in STEM and I don't think women should be pressured to go into science just for equal numbers, nor do a think someone should be made to feel less of themselves for not having an interest in science.

Maybe I'm lucky in that I don't understand this idea that women feel that they 'can't' do things or 'shouldn't' do certain jobs.
I see no progress since I was at school myself many years ago now. Linear A levels will make it harder for girls again as will removing GCSE coursework.

There's actually 61,430 more women working in STEM in 2017 than 2016 so there is improvement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending