The Student Room Group

I need advice

I am currently studying a Level 3 extended diploma in applied science and I was not aware that some university will not accept BTEC qualifications at all. Therefore, I am trying to find universities that will accept BTEC students for biomedical science at degree level.
Original post by Dione Whalley
I am currently studying a Level 3 extended diploma in applied science and I was not aware that some university will not accept BTEC qualifications at all. Therefore, I am trying to find universities that will accept BTEC students for biomedical science at degree level.

If I was doing the search would estimate what my BTEC grade would be and use that as an estimate on UCAS points for which range of unis have similar. then select your top 15-20 and fo down the list seeing which ones will take BTEC. I am quite surprised they wont take BTEC as only a few courses exclude completely. You can also check to see if they have a foundation year option.
Original post by 999tigger
If I was doing the search would estimate what my BTEC grade would be and use that as an estimate on UCAS points for which range of unis have similar. then select your top 15-20 and fo down the list seeing which ones will take BTEC. I am quite surprised they wont take BTEC as only a few courses exclude completely. You can also check to see if they have a foundation year option.

I were thinking to do that and to see where it takes me. I were surprised as well, due to the fact that I got told completely different when I first started my college course. Thank you
I were thinking to do that and to see where it takes me. I were surprised as well, due to the fact that I got told completely different when I first started my college course. Thank you

It may only be a few elite unis. There are a few subjects where BTEC is rules out, but not many. be sure to make your search through as sometimes the attitude to BTEC takes a bit of hunting down.

I think the way I described is the only approach as I dont believe that data is all in one place.
Omg I have the same problem! I’m going to take a gap year but I’m worried I won’t be accepted by universities because of the BTEC (the new one with exams)
Reply 5
Original post by DaniCaton
Omg I have the same problem! I’m going to take a gap year but I’m worried I won’t be accepted by universities because of the BTEC (the new one with exams)

over 95% of unis accept BTEC, I dont know why people worry about this
Original post by DaniCaton

That's my problem to and with this being my first year, I do not want to be wasting my time if that makes sense.
Original post by yt7777
over 95% of unis accept BTEC, I dont know why people worry about this

University do accept BTECs and I am not saying they do not. However, to do science at degree level 95% of the top universities will not accept BTEC qualifications.
Reply 8
University do accept BTECs and I am not saying they do not. However, to do science at degree level 95% of the top universities will not accept BTEC qualifications.

Agreed. Off the top of my head I believe UCL accept DDD in Applied Science for their BSc Applied Medical Science degree (top uni ranked 7th in UK) I'm sure there are many more too
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
Agreed. Off the top of my head I believe UCL accept DDD in Applied Science for their BSc Applied Medical Science degree (top uni ranked 7th in UK) I'm sure there are many more too

Okay, thank you.
My college isn’t great and our whole class failed last year! So we have to re do both years but it’s very stressful, I’m just worried I won’t pass or even get the grades I need for degree level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending