The Student Room Group

I don't want to go to university, but I have a silly question well worry..

Scroll to see replies

Don't live your life trying to please others. It's important to put yourself first.
Original post by Donnalouise99
Having a drive, ambition, and a 'get up and go' attitude is more attractive to me than academic credentials. I've dated guys who don't even have a GCSE yet have made something great out of their lives and/or are working towards things constantly; they are motivating and inspiring (and for me at least, that is attractive regardless of if what he is doing is bringing in tons of cash or if he's a voluntary worker- just doing SOMETHING with passion, is attractive). I've also dated (briefly) one guy with a PhD in Physics who was just the opposite and didn't go anywhere in his life or do anything with his amazing, door opening degree.

So what was he doing at the time when you dated him?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Decent social life is all you need. Pretty and/or nice girls can be found anywhere if you shop around a bit. Ones that have gone to uni will still like you provided you're not a complete tool and/or a waste of space, as with all other girls.

Thank You! I feel better, I think I have a bit of an inferiority complex in thinking that a girl with a degree wouldn't want to go out with me but what's a degree got to do with love?
Original post by Golden State
Don't live your life trying to please others. It's important to put yourself first.

Thanks! I don't want to go to university but even if I did go I still might come out single haha
Reply 24
I am a gay male who is in his fourth year of uni and can't get a boyfriend for the life of him! 50% of our generation never go to Uni, and I am sure most of tthem will find someone.

You are talking nonsense my friend :P
Reply 25
Original post by RetroBeatles1970
I have made the decision that I don't want to go to University but I am worried that I won't get a nice girlfriend for some reason I have the idea that all nice/pretty girls go to University.

And also, would not having a degree put a girl with a degree off?

Please advise me...

Lies mate. I went to university for four years of my life and never had a girlfriend. In fact, I found it hard finding a girlfriend at university. Maybe because they were too stuck up, but hey university is good for social life.

I only recently met a girl and mind you it was a year after I graduated.

Just cos you are not going to university does not mean that you will not get a pretty girlfriend. Not all pretty girls go to uni, mind you there are plenty out there who for many reasons chose not to go uni
Original post by Coke1
I am a gay male who is in his fourth year of uni and can't get a boyfriend for the life of him! 50% of our generation never go to Uni, and I am sure most of tthem will find someone.

You are talking nonsense my friend :P

Original post by tredfoz
Lies mate. I went to university for four years of my life and never had a girlfriend. In fact, I found it hard finding a girlfriend at university. Maybe because they were too stuck up, but hey university is good for social life.

I only recently met a girl and mind you it was a year after I graduated.

Just cos you are not going to university does not mean that you will not get a pretty girlfriend. Not all pretty girls go to uni, mind you there are plenty out there who for many reasons chose not to go uni

Thank You!
I don't think not going to uni will decrease your chance of finding a nice girl. I'm at uni and so far I haven't met any decent boys, most of them are really immature and whilst fun to hang out with, not people I want to date. You can always think of it like this- when those uni guys graduate, they'll be unemployed and many of them won't find a job straight away and many of THEM will end up in basic jobs anyway. You have a few years to get to know yourself, earn some cash etc. I think that's more impressive than a guy who just goes to uni for the sake of it rather for specific career reasons.

Also when it comes to choosing a partner, job and education aren't things that matter to me- I'm more interested in our personalities and common interests (and to an extent looks, but to be honest when you really like someone they look good to you regardless. Looking back on guys I've fancied, I now wonder what I was thinking :L)
Original post by PollyParrot23
I don't think not going to uni will decrease your chance of finding a nice girl. I'm at uni and so far I haven't met any decent boys, most of them are really immature and whilst fun to hang out with, not people I want to date. You can always think of it like this- when those uni guys graduate, they'll be unemployed and many of them won't find a job straight away and many of THEM will end up in basic jobs anyway. You have a few years to get to know yourself, earn some cash etc. I think that's more impressive than a guy who just goes to uni for the sake of it rather for specific career reasons.

Also when it comes to choosing a partner, job and education aren't things that matter to me- I'm more interested in our personalities and common interests (and to an extent looks, but to be honest when you really like someone they look good to you regardless. Looking back on guys I've fancied, I now wonder what I was thinking :L)

Thank You! I’m thinking of doing a higher apprenticeship but for some silly reason I feel I won’t get a girlfriend. Thanks for your reply I feel much better
girls care about how much money you make and what prospects you have. They dont get care what a piece of paper says. If you got a first class honors from Oxbridge but ended up working at mcdonalds, and someone else did not have a single GCSE but was pulling down a six figure salary they would likely choose them over you.

education is one way to increase your earning potential it is not the only way and there are enough success stories of people that did not go to university.

if you have a decent plan which you are confident will increase your earning potential that does not involve going to university then no problem with that. pretty sure most premier league footballers do not have a degree yet most girls would date them in a heart beat.

its about what your bank balance says not what your education certificates say.

education certificates are just a way that a lot of people like to think rightly or wrongly increases their earning potential.
Not true at all. Also, not having a degree doesn't mean you can't work your way up into a good job.
Whether you're working in Tesco or Sainsburys, nothing turns the girls on more than them knowing you have a degree. Trust me.
Original post by James385
Whether you're working in Tesco or Sainsburys, nothing turns the girls on more than them knowing you have a degree. Trust me.

The other responses say differently..
Original post by Unknown-99
Not true at all. Also, not having a degree doesn't mean you can't work your way up into a good job.

Thank You I feel so much better!
you made my day, really!!! :biggrin:
Original post by the_queen
you made my day, really!!! :biggrin:

I'm taking it that you find my post silly too haha!
I'd like to thank people for leaving replies, I feel much better.
Thank You I feel so much better!

My brother went to a university in the top 1% in the world and one that is renowned for engineering and he got a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering. He graduated last June and is still unemployed he can't get a job anywhere in the UK despite the degree he has he's been to interviews all over the UK with no luck. My brother's friend on the other hand chose not to go to university and did an engineering apprenticeship and he now has a good job, a company car and is married and has his own flat.

My sister went to the same University as my brother (she's older) and got a first class in Chemical Engineering but she had to move all the way to Dubai to get a job. She is happy there but she had to leave the UK just to get a job.

Having a degree isn't everything. Apprenticeships have improved a lot in recent years as long as you choose what apprenticeship to do wisely there's no reason why you can't have a good job.
I have made the decision that I don't want to go to University but I am worried that I won't get a nice girlfriend for some reason I have the idea that all nice/pretty girls go to University.

And also, would not having a degree put a girl with a degree off?

Please advise me...

That is ridiculous . As long as you have a stable job and can show commitment, love and effort in your work and in your partner, that's what matters.
only 1 out of 10 of my close friends met their partner in University. Almost all of my other friends are with a girl that don't have a degree and vice versa.
Original post by Unknown-99
My brother went to a university in the top 1% in the world and one that is renowned for engineering and he got a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering. He graduated last June and is still unemployed he can't get a job anywhere in the UK despite the degree he has he's been to interviews all over the UK with no luck. My brother's friend on the other hand chose not to go to university and did an engineering apprenticeship and he now has a good job, a company car and is married and has his own flat.

My sister went to the same University as my brother (she's older) and got a first class in Chemical Engineering but she had to move all the way to Dubai to get a job. She is happy there but she had to leave the UK just to get a job.

Having a degree isn't everything. Apprenticeships have improved a lot in recent years as long as you choose what apprenticeship to do wisely there's no reason why you can't have a good job.

I'm going to start looking into apprentiships as well as getting help into improving my self confidence.

Quick Reply

Latest