The Student Room Group

Will it be hard for me to do a Psychology degree having not taken it as an A-level

I didn’t take psychology for A-level as I failed maths. Although I really want to do a degree in it. Shall I not bother or is that too much stress?
Reply 1
Original post by Chloe05899
I didn’t take psychology for A-level as I failed maths. Although I really want to do a degree in it. Shall I not bother or is that too much stress?

what subjects are you doing?often you don't even need psychology a level to do it at uni
Reply 2
Many degrees don’t require it BUT it would be hugely helpful - most people doing the degree will have done it prior as an a level and you may feel like you fall somewhat behind in terms of module topics and understanding. They won’t start from scratch likely so you’ll need to have a mindset that catches on quick, Maths will definitely come in great use but prior knowledge will put you in good standing I’d say

I don't have an A level in Psychology though I started it and got a low grade in my AS levels when I was 16 but I'm currently doing a Psychology degree with the OU aged 22 and I'm getting distinction grades. A degree depends on your willingness to learn and work hard, not prior experience/grades. I stated my age because it was only now that I felt like I wanted to do a degree and I felt ready. When I was younger, and especially when I was 16, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and didn't have the determination to work hard! The environment and the teaching just didn't suit me either and I hated dealing with rude teachers whilst studying subjects I wasn't entirely interested in.

My one year of AS levels has helped a little and I know quite a few terminologies etc but the degree covers everything from a basic level and brings you up to speed fast. It's reduced my work load only a tiny fraction - not enough to make a huge difference in all honesty. If you have the opportunity and you're really wanting to do it and work hard, don't let it hold you back.
Reply 4
Original post by p_s79
what subjects are you doing?often you don't even need psychology a level to do it at uni

I’m doing history, English literature and language and Btec Health and social care
Reply 5
Original post by hannxm
I don't have an A level in Psychology though I started it and got a low grade in my AS levels when I was 16 but I'm currently doing a Psychology degree with the OU aged 22 and I'm getting distinction grades. A degree depends on your willingness to learn and work hard, not prior experience/grades. I stated my age because it was only now that I felt like I wanted to do a degree and I felt ready. When I was younger, and especially when I was 16, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and didn't have the determination to work hard! The environment and the teaching just didn't suit me either and I hated dealing with rude teachers whilst studying subjects I wasn't entirely interested in.

My one year of AS levels has helped a little and I know quite a few terminologies etc but the degree covers everything from a basic level and brings you up to speed fast. It's reduced my work load only a tiny fraction - not enough to make a huge difference in all honesty. If you have the opportunity and you're really wanting to do it and work hard, don't let it hold you back.

Yeah I’m not a huge intellectual person and I’m just nervous because all my friends who do A-level Psychology hate it so I don’t want to get to uni and really struggle to keep up as I’m obviously at a disadvantage
Yeah I’m not a huge intellectual person and I’m just nervous because all my friends who do A-level Psychology hate it so I don’t want to get to uni and really struggle to keep up as I’m obviously at a disadvantage

Do your friends want to do a psychology degree or work in psychology? If not, then that's probably why they hate it? I enjoyed it when I was studying because I have an interest in it. You sound like you have an interest so don't stop yourself from doing something because of what your friends say.

I would say you're not at a disadvantage. Whatever degree you choose, you'll probably not have much experience of it and they're all a challenge so may as well choose one you have an interest in.
Reply 7
Original post by hannxm
Do your friends want to do a psychology degree or work in psychology? If not, then that's probably why they hate it? I enjoyed it when I was studying because I have an interest in it. You sound like you have an interest so don't stop yourself from doing something because of what your friends say.

I would say you're not at a disadvantage. Whatever degree you choose, you'll probably not have much experience of it and they're all a challenge so may as well choose one you have an interest in.

Thankyou. Looking at it that way you’re right. I guess no degree is easy and paying that much money, I might as well do something I’ve always wanted to do.

Quick Reply

Latest