The Student Room Group

dropping out of 6th form

Hi everyone I am currently in year 12 I was not enjoying 6th form as much as I thought I would and have decided to drop out this is 100% definite as I have been given a place at the fashion retail academy in London to study fashion design next year.

My dilemma is that I am currently 17 and wont be 18 until August this year(I had to redo reception when I moved to Japan hence why I am old)

In my head I have mentally left the school, I still attend lessons however I have stopped doing homework and it's all just a drag on me. I would like advice on what I can do next as I would really like to just leave the school all together.

What are the legalities of this? And what exactly would happen if I did just stop going to the school?

I currently have a job at Tesco and have internships coming up for companies such as Burberry and John Lewis however these internships will only be over a matter of a few weeks and not last for the remainder of the year.

Thanks in advance for any help
do an apprenticeship! @Apprenticeships Advice
Reply 2
Original post by hamna98
do an apprenticeship! @Apprenticeships Advice

Thanks for the advice but I can't really see any apprenticeships I like and by September I will be at my fashion college anyway I basically just want to know what would happen if I stopped going to school right now
Original post by dkeeezy
Thanks for the advice but I can't really see any apprenticeships I like and by September I will be at my fashion college anyway I basically just want to know what would happen if I stopped going to school right now

hmmmm thats a sticky situation, I think you have to be in education till 18? I'm sorry I couldn't help
You need to be in some form of education until you turn 18,
Here's a link from the government website which will give you the full details :smile:
https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school
Reply 5
Original post by HSennett
You need to be in some form of education until you turn 18,
Here's a link from the government website which will give you the full details :smile:
https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

So if I managed to increase my working hours at my job to 20 hours a week would that be enough to drop out?
Original post by dkeeezy
So if I managed to increase my working hours at my job to 20 hours a week would that be enough to drop out?

According to the government website even if you did this you would still need to be in some form of part time education or training
Reply 7
Original post by HSennett
According to the government website even if you did this you would still need to be in some form of part time education or training

so frustrating I just rang my local council and they said that I have to talk to the school about it and see what they say?
Original post by dkeeezy
so frustrating I just rang my local council and they said that I have to talk to the school about it and see what they say?

You only have a couple of months left until the end of this academic year so I would advise you to (as hard as it may seem) to stick with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest