The Student Room Group

Using an instructors car is getting too expensive after 6 fails...

So i'm gonna bite the bullet and use my wife's car which i'm a named driver on. Has anyone else ever done this and passed? I'm confident driving her car but i'd effectively need to "relearn" the maneuvers as the methods I have been taught don't work as well in her car (turning points, reference points)

I was previously learning to drive through AA as they were the only ones who had free instructors at the time, but many people have now told me they've been ripping me off which I now agree given how many fails I have had.

Any advice?

I mean almost 80 quid plus the 62 quid test fee vs just the 62 quid test fee is going to work out a lot cheaper.

Also before you say anything the first few fails were my own fault, the last few have been pure bad luck and harsh examiners.
you can use your own car for a test, as long as youre insured, taxed and mot'ed, which you are.
you'll probably be more comfortable.
I drove my parents car more than my instructors, as a learner.
if you drive every time you both go out, you'll get plenty of practice.
Original post by fullmetalraz
So i'm gonna bite the bullet and use my wife's car which i'm a named driver on. Has anyone else ever done this and passed? I'm confident driving her car but i'd effectively need to "relearn" the maneuvers as the methods I have been taught don't work as well in her car (turning points, reference points)

I was previously learning to drive through AA as they were the only ones who had free instructors at the time, but many people have now told me they've been ripping me off which I now agree given how many fails I have had.

Any advice?

I mean almost 80 quid plus the 62 quid test fee vs just the 62 quid test fee is going to work out a lot cheaper.

Also before you say anything the first few fails were my own fault, the last few have been pure bad luck and harsh examiners.

I’m curious, can you let us know what the pure bad luck and harsh examiner tests failed you on?
Original post by accountant-future
I’m curious, can you let us know what the pure bad luck and harsh examiner tests failed you on?

The pure bad luck was on my last test where someone braked suddenly and stopped in front of me, put their hazards on and just sat there for at least a minute and then reversed into their drive. I was too close and was impeding their progress.

And the one before that I stopped at a green light due muscle memory (It was on a big 3 lane traffic light controlled roundabout and I had been so used to having to stop at that particular point I did so when it was green)

And the one before that one I reverse bay parked and was sticking out a bit too much and the examiner even dropped an indirect hint (awfully nice, wish i had picked up on it) but I left it as is and got a fail.

I'm also considering getting a second opinion from a different driving instructor based on a lot of people saying my instructor was crap.
Original post by fullmetalraz
The pure bad luck was on my last test where someone braked suddenly and stopped in front of me, put their hazards on and just sat there for at least a minute and then reversed into their drive. I was too close and was impeding their progress.

And the one before that I stopped at a green light due muscle memory (It was on a big 3 lane traffic light controlled roundabout and I had been so used to having to stop at that particular point I did so when it was green)

And the one before that one I reverse bay parked and was sticking out a bit too much and the examiner even dropped an indirect hint (awfully nice, wish i had picked up on it) but I left it as is and got a fail.

I'm also considering getting a second opinion from a different driving instructor based on a lot of people saying my instructor was crap.

Ahhh that sucks, my mum was telling me about how on one of her tests when she was younger she was going up a hill and there was a big lorry in front of her, the lorry had stopped and so did she, but it began to reverse which caused her to panic meaning that she stalled.

2nd reason is fair enough, I mean surely if you saw a green light you would know to go, but I'm guessing you were kind of nervous which meant you missed out on some signs. I have done that on some lessons before, when I first started doing independent driving in lessons, I was either too busy looking out for speed limits I missed road signs or vice versa.

3rd reason is also unlucky, like personally I do think it is quite silly you get a major for either leaving the front of your car out of a bay and or parking over two bays, I feel like you should get two chances, but then again that's why you are allowed to correct yourself and if you don't mind me asking, what was the hint. Reverse bay parking for me is the worst, I always end up going slightly over one bay which is annoying, if I had turned the wheel a second later I would've been fine. Examiners overall though are alot nicer then people say, referring to the point about you getting a hint, my examiner was talking to me about everything.

Also do what you think is best man, changing my instructor was the best decision ever for me, previous instructor was nice, but wasn't very helpful, my friend recommended me someone who is great. Get recommendations!
In my opinion you just needed a new instructor and better self-planning from yourself. The problem is you pick up some habits whilst driving on a full license, they're not necessarily bad they're just realistic, but some of them will get you marked down on a test. For example, on the road to my house between 7am and 7pm, the bays on the main road are in use which partially blocks the left lane, so I keep right all the way down to my road and then turn in just after the bays, whilst this is good planning from me because it lowers the queue of people filtering in from the left who don't know this - on a test I'd get screwed for not keeping left then turning into the right lane once I spot those cars. I do the same thing on the roundabout to work, I know I'm turning right shortly after the roundabout, so I keep in the right lane not to cut anyone off and turn into the right lane on the carriageway when I come off, instead of doing the standard thing of left lane to left lane, then indicate and move right.

I really think you should stick with an ADI but don't give up private practice, it's still good to have if anything else the parallel parking alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending