The Student Room Group

A Level English Langauge

Hello, I am currently in Year 12 and I am studying a level English language. I have recently completed a mock and I have achieved a dissapointing grade D. Does anybody who has studied or is studying this have any advice for revision? I'm feeling kind of regretful for choosing this subject now and there's no point changing cause it's too late. I only chose this because I did good at GCSE and I was particularly interested in the spoken language aspect of the course but I'm just finding it very difficult at the moment. Im aiming for a grade A at the end of A2 so I can get into medicine, any advice on improvements would be much appreciated. Thanks: )
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Akif2001
Hello, I am currently in Year 12 and I am studying a level English language. I have recently completed a mock and I have achieved a dissapointing grade D. Does anybody who has studied or is studying this have any advice for revision? I'm feeling kind of regretful for choosing this subject now and there's no point changing cause it's too late. I only chose this because I did good at GCSE and I was particularly interested in the spoken language aspect of the course but I'm just finding it very difficult at the moment. Im aiming for a grade A at the end of A2 so I can get into medicine, any advice on improvements would be much appreciated. Thanks: )

http://mrbruff.com/product/mr-bruffs-guide-level-english-language/

Its normal to get poor results early on till you get to grips with what they look for. You will improve. Yu cna also work over the summer if needs be.

If you must change then do it immediately.
What exam board are you with? Exam technique is what you need to focus on most for this subject.
Learn your grammar. Noun types, verb types, sentence types and clause types especially as these are top marks in the exam board. Gramar forms the basis of nearly everything, especially A2. Its the most crucial part alongside exam technique.
Original post by xEmilyxx
Learn your grammar. Noun types, verb types, sentence types and clause types especially as these are top marks in the exam board. Gramar forms the basis of nearly everything, especially A2. Its the most crucial part alongside exam technique.

I couldn't agree more.

Learn your grammar, and it's almost all you need when it comes to spotting language techniques.

You may find AQA's glossary of terms useful if you want to learn about grammar or any other techniques.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-7701-7702-GLOSSARY.PDF
Original post by spellbound1
What exam board are you with? Exam technique is what you need to focus on most for this subject.

Im on the horrible WJEC exam board.
Original post by xEmilyxx

Thanks, I try to do this, but I always just find myself fliping through my course notes and just reading them over and over. I don't feel like I'm revising effectively, especially compared my other science subjects Bio and Chem, which have a completely different approach to revision.
Im on the horrible WJEC exam board.

I'm on the same exam board but for Language/Literature combined.
My teachers have basically just told me to learn all language techniques and apply with meaning (E.G. Don't just state what type of word something is, explain why that word type makes an impact.)
Also if you have coursework (I have 20% worth) put a lot of effort into scoring top marks in that, just to give a boost if something does go wrong in the final exams.
Original post by Chloanya_
I'm on the same exam board but for Language/Literature combined.
My teachers have basically just told me to learn all language techniques and apply with meaning (E.G. Don't just state what type of word something is, explain why that word type makes an impact.)
Also if you have coursework (I have 20% worth) put a lot of effort into scoring top marks in that, just to give a boost if something does go wrong in the final exams.

I know this is quite late, but how do you revise for English Language? I just write down language techniques and just copy things down but I think I'm not revising effectively. I have a mock in creative writing tomorrow and I really dont know how to prepare for it. I really dont want another D!
I know this is quite late, but how do you revise for English Language? I just write down language techniques and just copy things down but I think I'm not revising effectively. I have a mock in creative writing tomorrow and I really dont know how to prepare for it. I really dont want another D!

I'm probably not the best person to ask for this as I'm frequently getting D's too and I don't have a creative writing element in my exams. I'd probably just suggest trying to remember the techniques and a few examples to go with them as you've said. I find English a really tricky subject to study for tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest