The Student Room Group

What careers do you guys want?

Scroll to see replies

motorsport but it's too late for that :frown:
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Which one are you leaning towards the most?

Cardiologist
Original post by storm95
motorsport but it's too late for that :frown:

How come? What happened? What are you doing now?
How come? What happened? What are you doing now?

always wanted to be a racing car driver but could never afford to and now is too late for it.
I want to go into research - something like stem cell research is really interesting for me. Or I'd go for astrophysicist cause that's mega interesting too. Maybe I'll do both if I get the time😂
I want to be a writer. My mother is a teacher, so I just want to warn you how stressful working as a teacher is. My mum has taught at five different schools and the backstabbing, bullying and conspiracy that goes on is unreal. You may have holidays, but you could be working up to 80 hour weeks and touching just have to deal with academic stuff but children's welfare which can be difficult depending on which school you're at. And with the way the education system is at the mo, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go into teaching and hearing experiences has put me off for life 😂It is great that you want to take on a teacher role and if that's what you want to do then go ahead, but I just wanted to tell you the real difficulties that come with it so you know what you are letting yourself in for. Best of luck for the future 😊👍
Original post by Nani Tanu
Cardiologist

That sounds amazing, guessing you enjoy learning about the human body and the heart in particular then, it is quite intriguing.
Original post by storm95
always wanted to be a racing car driver but could never afford to and now is too late for it.

Sorry to hear that. Hope one day your ambition comes true.
Original post by JustACoincidence
I want to go into research - something like stem cell research is really interesting for me. Or I'd go for astrophysicist cause that's mega interesting too. Maybe I'll do both if I get the time😂

Astrophysics sounds really thought provoking and stem cell research sounds really good, perhaps with some conditions it could save lives.
Original post by HattieTheSwann
I want to be a writer. My mother is a teacher, so I just want to warn you how stressful working as a teacher is. My mum has taught at five different schools and the backstabbing, bullying and conspiracy that goes on is unreal. You may have holidays, but you could be working up to 80 hour weeks and touching just have to deal with academic stuff but children's welfare which can be difficult depending on which school you're at. And with the way the education system is at the mo, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go into teaching and hearing experiences has put me off for life 😂It is great that you want to take on a teacher role and if that's what you want to do then go ahead, but I just wanted to tell you the real difficulties that come with it so you know what you are letting yourself in for. Best of luck for the future 😊👍

Thanks for your advice, have done my research and know the realities of teaching second hand and from my mum's friends experiences-long hours, lots of planning, not a great system to say the least. My mum doesn't recommend I go into teaching but I'm passionate about working with young children and not in a medical sense. I have written since I could consecutively write though I need to commit more, I myself would like to write as well as teach, still working it out. Thankyou for your wishes of good luck and advice 😀
Reply 70
On set D.IT. In 4-5 years I should be there. Just gotta keep working at it.
Original post by 8472
On set D.IT. In 4-5 years I should be there. Just gotta keep working at it.

Like The positive attitude. Good luck! It must be interesting editing and seeing the digital side of cinematography.
Sensible idea about financial security, anything you're passipnate about in particular?Also, should retirement be a goal? Personally, I don't want to retire until I have to, though that is obviously subject to fluctuation and change.

I'm studying a degree in Marine Biology. If that helps.
Original post by Other_Owl
I'm studying a degree in Marine Biology. If that helps.

Marine biology sounds fascinating; so much of our sea is unexplored!
Thanks for your advice, have done my research and know the realities of teaching second hand and from my mum's friends experiences-long hours, lots of planning, not a great system to say the least. My mum doesn't recommend I go into teaching but I'm passionate about working with young children and not in a medical sense. I have written since I could consecutively write though I need to commit more, I myself would like to write as well as teach, still working it out. Thankyou for your wishes of good luck and advice 😀

Okay 😊 my mum says that the actually teaching bit is great but it comes with a lot of hard work! t least you have researched it though 👍 I struggle to commit to writing myself but I'm doing okay at the mo. If you end up hating teaching you could always go on supply as the hours are more flexible so you could devote to writing. If you want to practice writing now go on Pinterest and look up flash writing prompts and you could write some really short stories or anything- good exercise and less overwhelming than churning out a novel 😂😂😂😂
Original post by HattieTheSwann
Okay 😊 my mum says that the actually teaching bit is great but it comes with a lot of hard work! t least you have researched it though 👍 I struggle to commit to writing myself but I'm doing okay at the mo. If you end up hating teaching you could always go on supply as the hours are more flexible so you could devote to writing. If you want to practice writing now go on Pinterest and look up flash writing prompts and you could write some really short stories or anything- good exercise and less overwhelming than churning out a novel 😂😂😂😂

Thanks, just planning what I intend to be a TV show to send to BBC writers room when I'm old enough and have another idea which I could also send, will make sure I follow your advice. I enter writing completions when I can; once I got through to the second round of 1000 words and got poetry and short stories published with Young Writers, bit aspire to do better for that. Do you enter writing competitions? I'll take your advice both about writing and teaching 😀
You can always quit and do what you love if you don't enjoy your current job.

Yeah, as if I am not aware of this option...

The main problem is I really don't know what I would love to change. If I can, I would change my job as often as I can. :lol:
I am interested in doing a career within Art and Design, which is why I’m taking a Level 3 BTEC course in September at Shrewsbury College! 😁

It’s always been a dream of mine to become a Fashion designer and now I have the opportunity to do it! Hopefully I get the grades needed in order to do it! 🤞
Personally I want to be a toilet cleaner. I've even started writing my cv for places like burger king and mcdonalds, even though i'm still in school I'm super keen! My parents aren't very supportive :frown: but i'll prove them wrong when I become the best toilet cleaner in the world!
Original post by Changing Skies
My aim is to be a zookeeper but I'm not sure that'll ever happen :sad:

Better let me pet the animals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending