The Student Room Group

Oscar's ratings lowest ever recorded

http://fortune.com/2018/03/05/oscars-ratings-academy-awards-viewership/

Several possible explanations are advanced but could it be the most obvious?

That millions of Americans are sick and tired of the millionaire Hollywood stars virtue signalling and posturing about Trump, #BlackFrocksMatter, Trump, Diversity, Trump ya de ya?

I want to watch an actor act. They get very well paid for it, and I don't begrudge them a penny. Good for them.

But when they open their mouth and spout politics they make me want to puke. Shut the fcuck up already...

Scroll to see replies

Must agree. I don’t really have much time for Hollywood celebrities lecturing people on privilege.
Reply 2
It's a 437 hour long show, who's main points can be condensed to a 3 minute video on YouTube.

Even the people in the audience don't sit through the whole thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
I entirely cannot see why anyone cares at all what any of these people think about anything.

They pretend to be other people on camera to amuse you for a couple of hours. That's it. Stop taking them so seriously.
Original post by generallee

That millions of Americans are sick and tired of the millionaire Hollywood stars virtue signalling and posturing about Trump, #BlackFrocksMatter, Trump, Diversity, Trump ya de ya?

I want to watch an actor act. They get very well paid for it, and I don't begrudge them a penny. Good for them.

But when they open their mouth and spout politics they make me want to puke. Shut the fcuck up already...

As much as Trump would love to take credit for this, Oscar viewership has been falling for at least four years now. People simply don't care about the ceremony that much anymore.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oscar, as well as Hollywood, already smells. Oscar is not worth watching since...I don't know last couple of years. They are too out of touch.
Reply 6
People don't care about the show anymore, but people do care about the Oscars; it's still the case that any winner on the night - even if the film has been out a while - will get a bump in takings afterwards.
Original post by Drewski
People don't care about the show anymore, but people do care about the Oscars; it's still the case that any winner on the night - even if the film has been out a while - will get a bump in takings afterwards.

That's what I meant to put :yep:
Yes, some of the actors are talented at acting. I still don't really have any interest in their wider opinions.

I'm guessing there is something in OP's view that a lot of people are becoming weary of hearing their (identikit) views on politics. I've no way of verifying or quantifying that, and also I'm sufficiently indifferent to the whole thing that I wouldn't bother anyway, but it seems pretty likely to me.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I still don't really have any interest in their wider opinions.

How can you say that? Emma Watson has tweeted that she is standing up for ALL [her emphasis] marginalized people.

I admire her selfless support for paedophile child molesters, murderers, rapists, and genocidal dictators but I do wonder if she fully understands how virtue-signalling that is too inclusive can be counter-productive, and I fear for her career now that she has set herself so far outside the fold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdqooLBBm2-/?utm_source=ig_embed

Why can they not engage in politics? Aren't you doing that right now on this thread? I don't get this idea that celebrities and actors shouldn't be allowed to state their opinion.
Reply 11
Meh its just a orgy of self preening toss pots.
Reply 12
Original post by DeBruyne18
Why can they not engage in politics? Aren't you doing that right now on this thread? I don't get this idea that celebrities and actors shouldn't be allowed to state their opinion.

It's more when they ram it down peoples throats - they're blessed with being able to connect with and influence an enormous audience, personally i feel they shouldnt be trying to lead people along like sheep for their own political ends.
Original post by Napp
It's more when they ram it down peoples throats - they're blessed with being able to connect with and influence an enormous audience, personally i feel they shouldnt be trying to lead people along like sheep for their own political ends.

Why not? They're entitled to speak their mind and if people don't like them for it they don't have to listen or watch films that they are in.

Isn't that what we are all doing here?
I kinda agree that celebrities do not need this kind of power, and I’m a huge film supporter (I cannot watch the oscars because it’s on far to late for me).

It just seems they are given too much influence when they don’t contribute that much to society.

Sure, but the difference I'm not saying it with the expectation that the world should listen or that it's important because I'm the one saying it. Celebrities who do this are.
Original post by limetang
Sure, but the difference I'm not saying it with the expectation that the world should listen or that it's important because I'm the one saying it. Celebrities who do this are.

I think anyone is entitled to give their opinion on anything, regardless of how many backers and supporters they have. I don't agree with a lot of what they say but I don't get the problem with them saying it. If people want to listen they will, if they don't they won't.
I think anyone is entitled to give their opinion on anything, regardless of how many backers and supporters they have. I don't agree with a lot of what they say but I don't get the problem with them saying it. If people want to listen they will, if they don't they won't.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to do it, I'm just saying I don't like the way it's implied that what they're saying is particularly special just because they've been in a few movies. And I will criticize that.
Why can they not engage in politics?

Why can't they engage in politics? Hmm, let me think, let me think... I know, because it is an Awards Show! Because it is meant to be entertainment, show business! This is the biggest chance the industry has to promote and market itself and its products annually!

Ratings were down 20%. That means one in five viewers decided to not watch this year. Big numbers, huge for a ratings, money obsessed business like Hollywood. That is why they can't engage in politics.

People are bored with the transgender, how wonderful is diversity, the more illegal immigration the better, admit every refugee supporting opinions of these stars. They don't have to watch and increasingly they aren't.

Politicians, inevitably, get 50% of the population hating them. Hollywood stars, Hollywood itself can get 100% of the population loving them, it, if they stay off deeply divisive political topics. But no, they have to virtue signal. It is a terrible business model.
Why can't they engage in politics? Hmm, let me think, let me think... I know, because it is an Awards Show! Because it is meant to be entertainment, show business! This is the biggest chance the industry has to promote and market itself and its products annually!

Ratings were down 20%. That means one in five viewers decided to not watch this year. Big numbers, huge for a ratings, money obsessed business like Hollywood. That is why they can't engage in politics.

People are bored with the transgender, how wonderful is diversity, the more illegal immigration the better, admit every refugee supporting opinions of these stars. They don't have to watch and increasingly they aren't.

Politicians, inevitably, get 50% of the population hating them. Hollywood stars, Hollywood itself can get 100% of the population loving them, it, if they stay off deeply divisive political topics. But no, they have to virtue signal. It is a terrible business model.

Their films are still rather popular and make a shed load of money. They are entitled to speak their opinion, just as you are entitled to come on here and speak yours.

If you're bored, don't watch it. You remind me of a right wing SJW. Like the type who complained about family guy and South Park because it offended them. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending