The Student Room Group

GCSE options

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmafieldx
I think Drama because it’ll be a nice practical lesson instead of all written lesson

Thanks, I agree. My English teacher (we had to fill in fake options forms in English And I chose history, geography and French) recommended taking one relaxing thing, but in year 8 my geography teacher recommended I took geography and my target is 6-7 butI'm exceeding it and doing quite well so I don't know which to do.
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Thanks, I agree. My English teacher (we had to fill in fake options forms in English And I chose history, geography and French) recommended taking one relaxing thing, but in year 8 my geography teacher recommended I took geography and my target is 6-7 butI'm exceeding it and doing quite well so I don't know which to do.

I take geography and my target was an 8 and honestly I have never wanted to drop a lesson so much in my life. I’m bored out me tree every lesson and I wish I’d have taken either drama or PE instead
I take geography and my target was an 8 and honestly I have never wanted to drop a lesson so much in my life. I’m bored out me tree every lesson and I wish I’d have taken either drama or PE instead

I find physical geography boring and difficult but human geography easy and interesting. Drama is also great though because I love the act of becoming someone new. I don't know if f I'd personally find it boring or not.
I find physical geography boring and difficult but human geography easy and interesting. Drama is also great though because I love the act of becoming someone new. I don't know if f I'd personally find it boring or not.

I think if you have a really good memory take geography because there are so many case studies to remember and so so so much content to learn and to get top marks you need a lot of detail. That’s what I struggle with the most because my memory is terrible and recently we’ve been doing a case study on a different country every lesson and it’s so much to remember.
I think if you have a really good memory take geography because there are so many case studies to remember and so so so much content to learn and to get top marks you need a lot of detail. That’s what I struggle with the most because my memory is terrible and recently we’ve been doing a case study on a different country every lesson and it’s so much to remember.

Well I can remember things well in history and got 100% on the multiple choice, but that may differ for geography. I'd be taking it alongside history and French as they're my definite options, do you think it's too much content? Also, what year are you in?
Well I can remember things well in history and got 100% on the multiple choice, but that may differ for geography. I'd be taking it alongside history and French as they're my definite options, do you think it's too much content? Also, what year are you in?

I take history as well as geography and it is quite a lot of content. Also if you don’t keep on top of it, it reallly piles up and you don’t really get much chance to go over things multiple times with the teacher unless it’s outside of lesson time. I’m in year 11
I take history as well as geography and it is quite a lot of content. Also if you don’t keep on top of it, it reallly piles up and you don’t really get much chance to go over things multiple times with the teacher unless it’s outside of lesson time. I’m in year 11

Thanks for your advice, what are the history and geography departments like at your school? The history one is good at mine and the geography used to be but not any more
Thanks for your advice, what are the history and geography departments like at your school? The history one is good at mine and the geography used to be but not any more

The history department is okay, nothing to scream about. the geography department is mixed, I used to love one of the teachers but my teacher has no control over the class and she’s terrible in my opinion
I do geography and history gcse. They’re really good together they dont clash and tbh in my opinion its not too hard to do both
The history department is okay, nothing to scream about. the geography department is mixed, I used to love one of the teachers but my teacher has no control over the class and she’s terrible in my opinion

Iused to have an ok teacher and now I have another ok teacher but is quite boring, I prefer the teacher I had last year. The history department at my school is okay, but my initial teachers were the head of the departments but they're both off on maternity now.
Original post by Purplebottle
I do geography and history gcse. They’re really good together they dont clash and tbh in my opinion its not too hard to do both

I think my school would rather we did out of both humanities and a language history and French, history and geography or geography and French. They do allow it but I don't know to be honest. What other subjects do you do it with?
RE is compulsory at my school as it is a Catholic school, not sure about food prep and nutrition as:
A) they only take on 15 people
B) I'm not passionate about
C) I have a condition called dyspraxia which affects many things, some of these being timimg and coordination, so if find it difficult and get help in the lessons anyway, but thankyou very much for the advice, I see what you mean as it is very useful and relevant to the real world.

Its okay Girl...I understand:smile: I go to a catholic school too!!!
Original post by HettiBetti
Its okay Girl...I understand:smile: I go to a catholic school too!!!

Ikr good thing I'm good at even though I'm not even Catholic lol 😂
Ikr good thing I'm good at even though I'm not even Catholic lol 😂

Me too Girl!!! I am a muslim!!!
I think my school would rather we did out of both humanities and a language history and French, history and geography or geography and French. They do allow it but I don't know to be honest. What other subjects do you do it with?

I did english, maths, additional maths, re, geography. History, spanish, latin, triple science and extra language
Me too Girl!!! I am a muslim!!!

I'm a Methodist as I was christened Methodist but don't go to church. What's it like being Muslim in a Catholic school? I know it's bad enough being a non Catholic at a Catholic school as it is!
Original post by Purplebottle
I did english, maths, additional maths, re, geography. History, spanish, latin, triple science and extra language

Wow, you must be very clever then! That's a lot of languages! The only language they offer st my school is French, though they used to offer Spanish but not any more. I couldn't do triple science as my skills aren't science based even though I'm ok at maths (mostly) I could never do further maths! What's it like with the workload and that?
Wow, you must be very clever then! That's a lot of languages! The only language they offer st my school is French, though they used to offer Spanish but not any more. I couldn't do triple science as my skills aren't science based even though I'm ok at maths (mostly) I could never do further maths! What's it like with the workload and that?

Haha im not really 😂😂 but thanks. Aww but french is still a good language i used to do it too but dropped it as I wasn’t good at it. I don’t find the workload too much to he honest, might just be me though...
I'm a Methodist as I was christened Methodist but don't go to church. What's it like being Muslim in a Catholic school? I know it's bad enough being a non Catholic at a Catholic school as it is!

Well, there are like 8 other muslims so its okay!!! I have freinds who are all into fashion, drag queen and humanities like me!!!
Well, there are like 8 other muslims so its okay!!! I have freinds who are all into fashion, drag queen and humanities like me!!!

I like humanities too! Which is your fave? Mine is history !

Quick Reply

Latest