The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Amount

Just had my SFE letter through and am confused by the amount I'm due to get.

I am a 21 y.o. single UG student with a household income below £22k. I am eligible for my uni's (Bristol) bursary of £2000.
My letter states the total student finance they'll pay TO ME is £9258 (this is in addition to the £9250 paid to the uni as tuition fees).

Is this value including the bursary? Or is it a typo? I thought the max loan was £8430-8700 (I've heard various figures for 2018/2019).

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Scitty
Just had my SFE letter through and am confused by the amount I'm due to get.

I am a 21 y.o. single UG student with a household income below £22k. I am eligible for my uni's (Bristol) bursary of £2000.
My letter states the total student finance they'll pay TO ME is £9258 (this is in addition to the £9250 paid to the uni as tuition fees).

Is this value including the bursary? Or is it a typo? I thought the max loan was £8430-8700 (I've heard various figures for 2018/2019).

Thank you! :smile:

The total amount quoted doesn't include any bursary you'd receive from uni. Did they say how they came to that figure? usually, it'll say something like " a non-income assessed amount of £x" and " an income assessed amount of £y, giving you a total amount of £z". Or something like that.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
The total amount quoted doesn't include any bursary you'd receive from uni. Did they say how they came to that figure? usually, it'll say something like " a non-income assessed amount of £x" and " an income assessed amount of £y, giving you a total amount of £z". Or something like that.

This was income assessed/means tested loan. I put my application in early as I have an unconditional firm: already have my results. :smile:
Reply 3
Also says the same online, as attached.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Scitty
Also says the same online, as attached.

Hi Scitty,

There are a few things that may be taking your maintenance loan to that amount.

There is an element of maintenance loan called the 'Long Courses Loan' which is in addition to the general maximum amount. This is applied when a course runs longer than 30 weeks and 3 days. This is quite common and could be what is taking your loan above the maximum you've seen, however, I'd recommend contacting us on Facebook/Twitter or giving us a call on 0300 100 0607 and someone can access your account and confirm this for you.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 5
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Scitty,

There are a few things that may be taking your maintenance loan to that amount.

There is an element of maintenance loan called the 'Long Courses Loan' which is in addition to the general maximum amount. This is applied when a course runs longer than 30 weeks and 3 days. This is quite common and could be what is taking your loan above the maximum you've seen, however, I'd recommend contacting us on Facebook/Twitter or giving us a call on 0300 100 0607 and someone can access your account and confirm this for you.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

That would make sense, as I'm doing veterinary medicine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending