The Student Room Group

Oxford is harder to get into than Cambridge - Medicine

I read some threads where people addressed how Oxford and Cambridge have a similar level of hardness to get into, but surely that's not the case! So speaking there are way more people per place at Oxford than at Cambridge and seeing that Oxford literally has 100 ish less seats, it is much harder aiming for Oxford, and also the deselection occurs before there, so ,many do not even get the chance to offer their skills in the interview!

What do you guys think? Oxford is harder to get into in comparison to Cambridge, correct?

Scroll to see replies

Correct.

Oxford graduates do consistently better in doctor's exams too, likely reflecting this.
Original post by nexttime
Correct.

Oxford graduates do consistently better in doctor's exams too, likely reflecting this.

That's surprising, I always thought Cambridge was marginally better for natural sciences/medicine.
Yes it's harder in that aspect.
Yes. Oxford value their candidates more, and want the best achievers who also express exceptional potential & dedication to their subject. Cambridge is a btech Oxford (Sorry)
Reply 5
Original post by Science99999
Yes. Oxford value their candidates more, and want the best achievers who also express exceptional potential & dedication to their subject. Cambridge is a btech Oxford (Sorry)

Cambridge is a fantastic university don't get me wrong, I just think if you are wanting to play it safe, Cambridge is probably better for you...Oxford is a real risk and is evident from so many rejections of such incredible applicants.
Reply 6
Correct.

No doubt, they really want the best of the best applicants, and their exams show this anyways
Reply 7
Original post by angelinahx
That's surprising, I always thought Cambridge was marginally better for natural sciences/medicine.

Better in comparison to what?
Reply 8
Original post by AzureCeleste
Yes it's harder in that aspect.

Indeed, a lot of people in my school are rejoicing at the fact they got 11 A* this year and are applying for Medicine, but what they don't realise is that it is the 'norm' to get 11 A* basically as an applicant, so there are really just on par with everyone else, while at Cambridge, they potentially could be slightly higher.
Original post by xxvvvxxc
Indeed, a lot of people in my school are rejoicing at the fact they got 11 A* this year and are applying for Medicine, but what they don't realise is that it is the 'norm' to get 11 A* basically as an applicant, so there are really just on par with everyone else, while at Cambridge, they potentially could be slightly higher.

Yup, exactly why I applied to cambridge-realised the stats worked more in my favour plus much higher chance for interview so can showcase my talent.

Drawing a direct comparison is hard as they offer totally different courses - natural sciences vs bio, chem and phys.

The good thing about medicine is that 95+% of graduates sit national exams that you can compare the results of. And yes Oxford graduates do better.
Better in comparison to what?

Better than Oxford for natural sciences and medicine.
Drawing a direct comparison is hard as they offer totally different courses - natural sciences vs bio, chem and phys.

The good thing about medicine is that 95+% of graduates sit national exams that you can compare the results of. And yes Oxford graduates do better.

Fair enough.
Reply 13
Better than Oxford for natural sciences and medicine.

Ah right, yeah, Oxford is better when comparing national examinations.

But Oxford is just too competitive per place for Medicine. I just wonder what the stats are AFTER selection. Maybe those are the 1:10 stats, I just can't remember if that was before or after the judgment for giving interviews out...
Reply 14
But the nice thing is the requirement! A*AA in comparison to A*A*A Cambridge

Compensates for the grueling Oxford process? :P
Reply 15

Do you know what the stats are AFTER selection per place, as a lot of competition is removed? (You seem knowledgeable from this thread haha :smile: )
Do you know what the stats are AFTER selection per place, as a lot of competition is removed? (You seem knowledgeable from this thread haha :smile: )

Do you mean the number interviewed per offer made?

Oxford interview 425 for about 157 offers. Cambridge don't release stats but interview something like 75% of applicants. The Cambridge ratio will be slightly higher i.e. more people are interviewed per place, but the difference is small.

Its also of note that Oxford interview each candidate multiple times over two days (normally no less than 4 interviews), whereas Cambridge normally does 2 interviews for each candidate.
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you mean the number interviewed per offer made?

Oxford interview 425 for about 157 offers. Cambridge don't release stats but interview something like 75% of applicants. The Cambridge ratio will be slightly higher i.e. more people are interviewed per place, but the difference is small.

Its also of note that Oxford interview each candidate multiple times over two days (normally no less than 4 interviews), whereas Cambridge normally does a single interview for each candidate I believe.

And surely multiple interview is a good thing?
I mean are you sure...

Med students at oxford need to get A*AA while dudes at cambridge need A*A*A
Reply 19
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
I mean are you sure...

Med students at oxford need to get A*AA while dudes at cambridge need A*A*A

Yeah, but getting to a position of getting that offer is harder, so technically it isn't easier.

Latest

Trending

Trending