The Student Room Group

GCSE options

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Purplemonkeys
I like humanities too! Which is your fave? Mine is history !

Religion obviously!!! Theology is key!!! Go Religious Studies !!! I hate History, I was in top set in Year 9 and Girl was I the worst!!! But I am really good at Geography!!!! Religion is still better!!!
not going to lie to you, you'll regret doing french- and no it does not look 'better' for unis etc, it only looks good for your school. Pleaseee don't make the same mistake I did!
Original post by HettiBetti
Religion obviously!!! Theology is key!!! Go Religious Studies !!! I hate History, I was in top set in Year 9 and Girl was I the worst!!! But I am really good at Geography!!!! Religion is still better!!!

I really like religion and about the diversity of beliefs but we've started prep and the GCSE course for the first paper, Catholicism which is 50%. Looking forward to the Philosophy and ethics paper in year 11 though as that's more my thing really. It makes up 25% of the GCSE and Judaism takes up the other 24% and really enjoying it. I'm bad at physical geography but good at human geography.
Original post by sxhxl
not going to lie to you, you'll regret doing french- and no it does not look 'better' for unis etc, it only looks good for your school. Pleaseee don't make the same mistake I did!

Thanks, will take your advice on board.
Thanks, will take your advice on board.

If you'd like an insight on what French is really like, I'm currently having to memorise 80 words every week, I have to learn almost 15 grammar rules which is nearly impossible and the final speaking GCSE exam consists of memorising 12 essays off by heart. Oh and out of 20 people in my class, 14 people have been moved down to foundation- which is a significant amount! :smile:
Original post by sxhxl
If you'd like an insight on what French is really like, I'm currently having to memorise 80 words every week, I have to learn almost 15 grammar rules which is nearly impossible and the final speaking GCSE exam consists of memorising 12 essays off by heart. Oh and out of 20 people in my class, 14 people have been moved down to foundation- which is a significant amount! :smile:

Good luck, hope you'll do well. At least you won't have to endure it for too much longer. What board are you with?
Good luck, hope you'll do well. At least you won't have to endure it for too much longer. What board are you with?

AQA, it's the subject I regret the most tbh. And for geography or drama, I'd say pick the one you know you'd be motivated to try the most with: they're both a lot of hard work. I do geography and it is honestly a lot more harder than you think but if you put your time and effort into it, you can do well. As for drama, I've heard that the coursework and writing load is very stressful, however pick what you'd be best at as a lot of my year is struggling with Geography!
Original post by sxhxl
AQA, it's the subject I regret the most tbh. And for geography or drama, I'd say pick the one you know you'd be motivated to try the most with: they're both a lot of hard work. I do geography and it is honestly a lot more harder than you think but if you put your time and effort into it, you can do well. As for drama, I've heard that the coursework and writing load is very stressful, however pick what you'd be best at as a lot of my year is struggling with Geography!

Thanks, I have an options evening coming up soon which might help me decide between the two.
I'd pick the one with the better teacher, that's the way I see it. It's the teacher that makes the lesson enjoyable i think
Original post by brendarob
I'd pick the one with the better teacher, that's the way I see it. It's the teacher that makes the lesson enjoyable i think

Thanks, currently got a supply as my geography teacher is on maternity and he makes it boring. The teacher I had last year made it interesting though. We have one drama teacher and she's really good and passionate but she's not there half the time so we just watch movies, would be concerning about her being off during GCSE though
Thanks, currently got a supply as my geography teacher is on maternity and he makes it boring. The teacher I had last year made it interesting though. We have one drama teacher and she's really good and passionate but she's not there half the time so we just watch movies, would be concerning about her being off during GCSE though

My science teachers are like that!! Good luck!
My science teachers are like that!! Good luck!

Thanks, you too, hope they'll turn up on your behalf. 😀
Thanks, you too, hope they'll turn up on your behalf. 😀

Haha thanks :smile:. My biology teacher took 5 months paternity leave, chemistry teacher can't ****ing teach so he may as well not be there, and my physics teacher is nowhere to be seen. Also, my French teacher had to take our English class once because my teacher was off for so long😂😂
l
What school do you go to????

I really like religion and about the diversity of beliefs but we've started prep and the GCSE course for the first paper, Catholicism which is 50%. Looking forward to the Philosophy and ethics paper in year 11 though as that's more my thing really. It makes up 25% of the GCSE and Judaism takes up the other 24% and really enjoying it. I'm bad at physical geography but good at human geography.
Haha thanks :smile:. My biology teacher took 5 months paternity leave, chemistry teacher can't ****ing teach so he may as well not be there, and my physics teacher is nowhere to be seen. Also, my French teacher had to take our English class once because my teacher was off for so long😂😂

Oh dear, not a great situation to be in! 😂😂 good luck for your exams, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!😀
l
What school do you go to????

#Grade 7 in Geography #highest in my year!!!
Make sure whatever you choose, you really want to do it, I chose drama (still doing it) and it’s not as easy as just acting, there’s devising logs for coursework and remembering scripts etc. You say you’re bright at English and luckily the drama theory side involves being good at English so I would recommend drama.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by codyann02
Make sure whatever you choose, you really want to do it, I chose drama (still doing it) and it’s not as easy as just acting, there’s devising logs for coursework and remembering scripts etc. You say you’re bright at English and luckily the drama theory side involves being good at English so I would recommend drama.

Thanks, leaning more towards drama now.
#Grade 7 in Geography #highest in my year!!!

OMG well done! Once I got 98% on a geography test and last year did a debate so good my geog teacher recommended I did the GCSE both in human geography Idk how tho 😂 still that's not comparable to such a high grade, congrats!😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show